ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I rented this and I gotta say...it's a lot better than I expected. As reboots go this did a pretty good job of keeping the themes of the original without being a beat-by-beat retread. It doesn't have the black humor of the first but it's topical with drone warfare and corporate/government collusion and corruption. Even the marketing of Robocop's black tactical look. All in all, not bad.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I hear a lot of "better than I expected" ...I even said it myself. But it still felt very forgettable. I would be interested in a follow-up though. :)

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I got about halfway through - very dull.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I suppose repeat viewings would be the thing. As I left the store thinking "Did I really just rent this?" I was probably just glad I didn't find it completely terrible. :)

5. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Just saw it on dvd..it was okay.

Not even close to the original but okay

Missed the humorous of the original.

The gun dealing bad guy was awful and bland.

Villians in these movies should be more over the top

Why keep the hand????

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A deleted scene reveals the reason...Sellars (Keaton) tells them to see if they can save Murphy's right hand because his father used to say that you could tell the character of a man from his handshake.

7. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Ah. That makes sense;) thanks

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Actually it doesn't but I guess it's at least *something.* But it'd make far more sense for him to be all cyborg. Have the hand is just one more think they have to keep alive through the various life-support systems and it's vulnerability.

I has assumed it was so he could access and use any security devices requiring a thumb or palm print that'd make a *bit* more sense than the hand-shake thing.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I heard rumors that the original reason was supposed to be because it would make him a bit more human if he still had a hand.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It makes perfect sense. Sellars says "We're gonna put a man inside a machine," so that Americans have something with which they can identify. Being able to give a human handshake, which is something that pretty much any police officer does, is part of identification -- "this isn't one of the robots in the Middle East, this is actually a person, just enhanced."