So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

ALLEGIANCE by Timothy Zahn. A spot of Star Wars, set between Episodes IV and V. Entertaining fun, though felt like generic space opera with added insistence on all the make and model numbers of equipment. Mara Jade's detective element was best – though at this point she's supposed to be 18 and already a superheroine who's just too fair and good to be working so well with Vader and Palpatine – with the Stormtrooper squad also providing fun – they should have done a series with them as the Rainbow Six to her Jack Ryan. The Luke/Han/Leia stuff didn't really sit that well, and I think things would have been tauter without them being in... But still, good fun.

I feel some comics reading coming on next, now that my eyes have recovered enough to handle dialogue balloons on coloured backgrounds again...

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star trek Forged in fire by Andy Mangels & Micheal A.Martin

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

1. Yesterday's Son by A.C Crispin (on hold)
    2. DTI- Forgotten history by Christopher Bennett
    3. Taking wing

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At home: the current World Book Year Book. I expect to be done before the next ST novel comes out, and the "content rating" thread has given me an urge to re-read Spock: Messiah. (On the other hand, I can't think of a whole lot that would make me want to re-read anything by Marshak & Culbreath.)

On my lunch breaks at work: Model Railroad Planning 2017.

While riding trolleys and subways to and from Disney Hall, Hollywood Bowl, Exposition Park, and other transit-friendly venues in Los Angeles County (and also when sitting on a bucket of water when my hemorrhoids are acting up) various charity newsletters and other disposable reading material.

5. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Rise of the Federation: Live By the Code.....looking forward to the next ENT installation later this year. I'm a new Trekkie and watched all of the shows / movies last year. Working my way through the Lit-Verse in a somewhat chronological order using different lists thanks to @Thrawn and 8of5.

Balok's Decoy and Idran like this.
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Early next year, it turns out, and I can now reveal that the title is The Night Dahlia.

7. Lonemagpie

ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER: THE LAUGHING CORPSE – ANIMATOR by Laurell K Hamilton and Ron Lim. This is a hardback graphic novel adaptation of the second Anita Blake novel, which I'd got free as a handout at a convention a couple of years ago. I know nothing about the series – thought it was one of thse cliched things for teenage girls, but actually this isn't bad at all (well, there's the appearance of vampire master Jean-Claude, but I suspect he's meant to take the piss out of the whole Anne Rice subgenre), and jumping on without knowing the first book wasn't a problem – it was pretty much self contained, with any necessary background exposition slotted in. It's a sort of police procedural mystery thing with zombies and vampires, and felt tonally very like the Harry Dresden books, which is a good thing. The art is nice too. What's not nice is that it collects five issues of comic and ends on “to be continued in The Laughing Corpse- Necromancer” which I haven't got. Still, it does actually make me wonder if the novels are of of a similar Dresden-ish tone, and so I may have to try one if I see one...

8. Greg Cox

The popular wisdom is that the Anita Blake books started out as hard-boiled urban fantasies but increasingly turn into erotica as the series progresses. Take that as you will.

Trivia: Hamilton actually wrote a Trek novel years and years ago, before hitting it big with the Anita Blake books. (I actually worked on the cover copy of the first couple Anita books, long ago and far away.)

9. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Didn't it also get a reprint with a "from the author of Anita Blake" blurb or something when she started getting big? I vaguely remember seeing that.

10. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just read Fatal Trauma by Richard L. Mabry.

11. Greg Cox

Yes. Pocket did reprint it a few years back. Can't remember if there was new blurb or not.

But I remember the reprint puzzling some Trek readers who had no idea that Hamilton had become a hugely bestselling Big Name Author since writing Nightshade. "Why that book?"

12. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Aha; maybe it was just the reprint itself I was thinking of, then.

13. Lonemagpie

The consensus on FB seems to be that the first 4-8 books are OK preternatural procedurals, and after that shit goes south. Since this is the second book, I do fancy seeing how it finishes.

Yeah, I've got her TNG book, when it first came out, and still have it somewhere. I know I read it, but don't remember anything about it, cos it's been, like, 25 years or something...

14. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will be reading The Face Of The Unknown next.

15. Greg Cox

It was a basically a vampire story in STAR TREK drag, which irked me only because she beat me to the punch! :)

(Not that my VOYAGER novel isn't also a vampire novel in disguise)

Lonemagpie likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Made a start on the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd.

18. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks, Greg.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the pre-order to go up. I'm really looking forward to reading all three of the upcoming Belcher books.:)

19. Greg Cox

Glad to hear it!

While I'm plugging upcoming books I've edited, I'm also excited by DEADLANDS: BONEYARD by Seanan McGuire. It's a weird western involving a traveling circus and menagerie that runs into scary, supernatural doings in frontier Oregon. It's a really captivating book that's coming out in the Fall (with plenty of gorgeous interior illustrations to boot).

If you like Rod Belcher's "Golgotha" novels, you'll probably like BONEYARD as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  20. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You mean "the black shore" ? It felt more like a Hulk novel to me, be it was a very good read :techman: