Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You may try just swiping the disc with those ultra-thin LCD screen cleaner wipes. I thought a few of my discs had errors until I fixed them entirely with a simple clean.

2. Jimilu

Jimilu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The complete series its on $58 in amazon right now.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to last week, may I take your bags? :p

4. Jimilu

Jimilu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

C´mon! the thread is 14 pages!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

14 pages of awesome. No excuse.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Picked up the complete series set at Best Buy today, with the exclusive bonus of the Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars miniseries for only $69.99, plus tax.

Seemed like a pretty good deal to me, considerin' the sticker price is $129.99...

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You could have gotten it from Amazon for $66 and most likely no tax. :lol:

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No tax on Amazon. I really need to move out of Washington state!

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but I got it seconds after I paid for it, and it includes the post-series mini.

So, nyah!

:p

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Odo, the Amazon $66 includes the post series mini.
    The set was $58 and they sold the post series mini for $8. No tax. ;)
    So you paid $70(is this with tax?) vs $66(no tax+free ship).

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Eh, $4 seems a minimal fee for the need-it-right-now factor.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Actually, I went by the Best Buy where I got the set, talked to customer service, she talked to her manager, and they price matched Amazon, so I got thirteen bucks cash back.

Go me.

:bolian:

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished off the first season the other day. I don't think the series has engrossed me the way it seems to have many others on this board. I think it's standard soap opera fare; running afoul of local troubles on alien worlds (then solving them), bumping into strange space phenomena, and staging narrow escapes from pursuing bad guys. A pleasant enough way to spend an hour, but usually nothing that makes me sit up and take notice. The season finale is possibly an exception; the cliffhanger was well done, and makes me want to order the second season (eventually...). So I've liked some of the plots, and some of the characters, mostly John, Zhaan and Chianna, have grown on me (though, conversely, I wish Rygel would encounter a pair of scissors, and soon)... mostly, the problem seems to be that I can't quite get comfortable with the show's aesthetic. Particularly the aliens. Particularly Rygel. The make-up on some of the leads is great (Zhaan and Chianna look amazing, and I don't just mean the actress, though that helps), but most of the aliens on the show look like they stepped out of 50s B-movie, all rubber and fabric and glowy headdresses. I'm not sure why--I've enjoyed series with even more outré aesthetics, like the similarly-themed Lexx, but that show knew it was risible. Which is something else that oftens throws me out of the show: the skewed sense of humour, which misses about as often as it hits. Particularly John, with his bizarre non sequiturs and constant pop culture references that he ought damn well know nobody gets. It was mildly amusing once or twice, it's just dumb by now. Oh, and Rygel. (Seriously, fart jokes? What is this, Phantom Menace?)

Anyway, hopefully the fans won't excorciate me for the above. I do plan to eventually return to the series, since I found the first season essentially adequate, and have been told that it gets better--and besides, it's not like there's much anything else in this vein out there to watch, these days.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

All I can say is keep watching. It really takes off in Seasons Two and Three.

I ordered my set (along with The Peacekeeper Wars) last night from Amazon, decided the price was way too good to pass up. :techman:

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Look at the Princess the other night. Still great episode even though it has one scene which I should like but I don't. It's the scene with John flying in space and surviving. How the hell did that happen, while just a few episodes earlier we saw a dream of him with the helmet breaking and his face becoming all disfigured. However, the scene before that with him being all insane and saying "We're so Screeewwwed" was my favorite bit of the entire three parter. You take some, and receive some I guess.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Because he was only in space for a few seconds. You'd get pretty messed up (and Crichton did), but IIRC, a human can possibly survive being exposed to space for a few seconds.
    Well, that was a dream.

17. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

We are only talking $8 bucks more for instant gratification.
    Besides Odo has trumped us all. I should have tried that at my BestBuy. Doubt they would have done that though. Especially since Amazons $58 is without peacekeeper wars.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  18. Lindley

The biggest immediate danger when exposed to space is that if you have air in your lungs, it could be explosively expelled due to the difference in pressure. If you breathe out as much as possible and you keep your mouth open so that the remaining pressure has an easy escape route, you should be able to survive space for a short time because:

1) Your veins and capillaries are strong enough to counteract your blood pressure in most cases. You'd probably have bloodshot eyes and some strange bruises afterwords, but your blood wouldn't "boil" as the myth goes.

2) There's no medium to transfer heat away from you, so you wouldn't freeze immediately. Loss of heat via radiation takes time.

3) Lack of oxygen would knock you out in seconds, but your body can survive longer than that without it, and permanent brain damage wouldn't start immediately either.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^So what you're saying is that scene does make some sense then. That actually makes me feel a lot better because I've always wondered why he did survive that.

20. Lindley

I would say that of all the impossible things in Farscape, that one is not the least plausible.