Geocaching, anyone...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Candlelight, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

Anyone done this? Seems like a form of orienteering. I never heard of it until today.

There's a cache 300m from my current position, so might go check it out at lunch. :)

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there's an app for that... well, many apps actually.

It's a way to get the kids out of the house without complaining as they can bring the gadget glued to their hands along for the ride.

Oh, and it's also good for adults who want more than just 'fresh air' on their walks.

Haven done any treasure hunting in a while though... it's more of a summer thing around here.

3. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I haven't heard of orienteering until today. :lol: My sister and her husband were into geocaching for a little while, but it seems like they quickly got bored of it. I haven't tried it myself, I might do so as it sounds at least mildly entertaining.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I heard about it a couple of years ago, but I'm lazy then busy then lazy. There's actually a few sites here where I live. I should check them out some time.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did it a few times in the days before smart phones, where you had to have a dedicated GPS device, which a friend of mine had, and it was pretty fun. Now that I can use my phone I should give it another shot.

6. mari

mari Captain Captain

There's supposed to be a cache across the street from me, but the squirrels stole it. :) It's fun sitting on the porch in the summer, watching people grope under a turtle statue's tail, though.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been doing it for years. It's highly enjoyable. It's mostly a summer thing, though.

8. Candlelight

It's summer now, dude.

:p

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please swap hemispheres with me then!

10. Candlelight

Gladly! My hayfever is causing me nothing but grief this season.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard about it for over 5 years and tried it a couple of times. It's alright... It's really one of those things where you have to be fortunate to live in an area where it's popular and you figure out where the "good ones" are.

There are some geocaches that are legendary. Unfortunately, they eventually get ransacked by a degenerate who wants to spoil the fun. But if you really get into it, you can make some interesting friends and make some intriguing finds. I've been meaning to give it a go once more, but other things have taken priority.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I remember orienteering from when it was still strictly a map-and-compass thing. I think the Boy Scout Handbook had a chapter on it, too.

Never done geocaching, though I do know a few people who are into it.

13. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

This thread actually made me re-install an app for it on my phone :)