PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Quit gloating...

2. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the universe, in its own strange way, demands balance, so, after the epic entertainment of The Avengers, we get the crushing disappointment of Prometheus. Completely devoid of suspense, excitement, humour or even a simple humanity to make us care about the characters and what happens to them, this prequel to Alien does not deserve to share in that classic movie's legacy. The great thing about the original and Jim Cameron's sequel was that they were simple, stripped down, lean machines of movies. This one has pretensions to being a new 2001: A Space Odyssey, only with more goo and gore. It fails as a horror movie and as a take on humankind's search for meaning out there in the universe. It might work as a sci-fi movie with the clarity and meaning a sequel might give it but I can't think of why I'd want to watch more of these characters and why I would care when ultimately I know it all ends with John Hurt having the worst ever case of indigestion. Game over, man. Game over. At least, I hope so.

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Bob told me I would be crushed if I went to see it. I trust him.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Now I want you to see it.

5. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You're evil.

6. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know I wonder if Prometheus has the same problem as Kingdom of Heaven. The theatrical cut of KoH was OK but the extended makes a much better movie. Maybe I'll wait for the Director's cut on this one.

7. pork3

pork3 Commander

Way too much of the film was exposed in the fucking trailers.
    I regret having seen any of them...

-Jamman

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm a paid up fanboy fan of Alien and even moreso Aliens - and I'm old enough to have seen both at the cinema. This was a must see for me - here's a few thoughts :

The trailers gave away way too much. Why spoiler your own movie that way ?

Noomi Rapace just isn't strong enough to carry the film. I do like her, but Sigourney she aint...

The 'it's not an Alien prequel' thing is pure crud - it's FULL of nods, pointers and foreshadowing in an obvious box-ticking way. Look, here's an Alien touchpoint...

It lacks imagination, slavishly mirroring the set up and structure of Alien, even with the synthetic and ending up in an escape pod.

The characters are unforgivably stupid - all of them.

Even without the spoiler-trailers, it's just SO predictable.

Seeing the last scene all the way through was just too obvious - a glimpse would have been preferable. Less is more...

Scott's not as good as he thinks he is - Alien's just an excellent monster movie and Blade Runner, good as it is, is still a bit over-rated. Prometheus proves it...

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed it (ANY return to that universe has my ticket money, no questions) and the 3D was OK (I generally disapprove of it). It certainly wasn't awful - I didn't come out of the cinema holding my head and wailing 'Why ?' like I did at Alien 3. I'll go and see the next two (it's part of a prequel trilogy, which worked for George didn't it ?) and against possibly unrealistic expectations I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and 7/10.

Should've been 11/10 though...

PS. I'll just bet Guy Pearces character is in the next film as a younger 'synthetic' copy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I gave it a B-. I enjoyed it well enough, but it simply didn't blow me away. I never really expected it to live up to the hype, so I was disappointed, but I did expect more from it. The film looks fantastic, the cast are mostly excellent and the production design is excellent. But the script really lets it down for me.

Far too many nods to Alien, it's almost a tickbox of the main points of the original movie. Guy Pearce was wasted. Noomi Rapace's character just didn't pull me in. They were clearly trying to recreate Ripley with her, and it just didn't work. Ironically, I found Charlize Theron's character more nuanced and a bit more interesting. Might have been interesting if they'd combined Rapace and Theron's characters into a single role. Fassbender was excellent, and I really liked Idris Elba's Captain.

I agree the trailers gave away way too much.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Hasn't anyone else seen it ?

11. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Just back from the movie, and I thought it was good. Yes, good. Perfect description for it. It kept me interested but didn't blow me away. I think the narrative kinda fell apart in the last ten minutes (out of the ship, into the ship, out of the ship again, back into another ship....). Fassbender was great, the rest acceptable, though I found the boyfriend a bit annoying. Some nifty creatures.

The "chariots of the gods" stuff was hokey of course, though there were some good ideas that didn't really get time to be fleshed out properly (to make time for the action). An expanded version might be worth a watch.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Fortunately I haven't seen all the trailers or read all the spoilers so hopefully there'll still be surprises in it for me.

Sadly, though, I have to wait until next weekend to see it.

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Seen it and I'm not to sure if I like it it's visually stunning but i noticed that big parts of the movie don't seem to make sense . I'm assuming the Blu ray will at least have 40 mins of extended scenes. And the ending another franchise movie money maker !!!!

What I did like is having the space jockey race in the movie explains things but are they good guys or are they bad guys . They were coming to earth to wipe us out !!!

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

There's a semi Easter egg at the end of the credits where you can see the Weyland Company logo, "Building Better Worlds" motto and a date: 10/11/12.
    Any idea on what would that date mean? Blu-ray release?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

10-11-12 would be a saturday, I don't think thats a usual day for DVD/Blu-ray releases.

But as for the film it's self I would give it a 7/10. Not great but not bad, somewhat predictable.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just got back from a 3D showing and got to admit the movie didn't use it as well as the trailer suggested. It was decent enough with some nice tie in moments to ALIEN though being on LV 223 and not LV 426, I still have many questions about how Aliens end up there but maybe the sequel will answer that.

My theory on the enginners are they created humaity as the test subjects for their new weapon (avoid testing it on themselves) but lucky for us they never got round to testing it.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

That's my assumption as well.

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It was well worth seeing, but the line concerning "bloodwork" made me yearn for a movie series based on Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space universe. I'm tired of the Alien one.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Kind of surprised by the early feedback, I really would have though this would have been better SF than Avengers, and would get better notices. Still, I can't wait to see friday it...I very rarely go see movies on the first day of release!!

RAMA

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Hype can adversley effect a movie. Or rather ones opinion of a movie. If you go in with lower expectations you can be pleasently suprised. If you go in with high hopes you stand a fair chance of being disapointed.

Though to be fair of the votes cast, something like 80% of them would rate the move at 7+ out 10 or a 3.5/4 star rating.