Did Enterprise happen in this Star Trek's past?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, Mar 8, 2009.

1. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

But, dosn't this movie take ''place'' in a ALTERNATE TIMELINE? already?:confused:
    Apparently not!:( it may say something about his ''character''that he can't just let it go! I mean, I am NOT a fan of VOYAGER, but I don't HATE it like he does ENTERPRISE. And as much as I don't like VOYAGER, I still accept it as CANON!

I thought 'EVERY' series has the TREK label?;)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ignore him. He's letting his personal hatred of Enterprise color his judgment.

That show takes place in both timelines - the original one, and this one. The only changes to the timeline happen after the events of ENT took place. Therefore it is common to both.

3. miraclefan

Thanks Babaganoosh:D I have met his ''type'' in person, and I do admit to them that ENTERPRISE ''could'' have been better, but when I try to defend it they get pretty ANGRY!:confused: and I've never understood why?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I like to call it the "Attila The Hun" mindset. You know, the "It's not enough that I succeed...everyone else must fail" thing. Whatever they hate, the rest of us cannot be allowed to like.

I see this a lot in the Battlestar Galactica forum when anyone tries to say anything nice about the original BSG series. :rolleyes:

5. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* It´s too sad that TNG, DS9 and Voyager never happenned. Well, TNG and DS9.

6. miraclefan

It must be, I mean I am not a fan of ''Original Galactica'' But I do appreaciate what it did for giveing sci-fi a larger presence on the air-waves at the time. I am a fan of NU-GALACTICA, but I'm not going to tell you ''NOT'' to watch Org-Galactica.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Who knows. Maybe they still can.

In any case, the original timeline where they *definitely* happened, is still intact. It hasn't been wiped out. Probably it will be the only timeline written in Trek novels for the time being...

8. Lior .B.

Lior .B. Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. There are no reasons why both of the timelines couldn't exist simultaneously and each of them could be "our" future. future stories could be writen for both timelines and I don't see why one should be consider the "true" timeline. Why can't people enjoy with both version of our characters? why should the prime timeline be any more truer than J.J's timeline?

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He has been allowed to return. Member in good standing and all that.

Enough about "character" and "type"... and Babaganoosh, you know damned well that your "Attila the Hun" crack is out of line. Stick to the topic of discussion (which is not those things) and leave out the personal stuff.

10. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Enterprise happened, since until certain events, they were the same Universe.

The moment *something* travels back in time, it spawned an alternate universe, where events happened differently in each one.

TOS and everything that followed occurred in the "Prime" universe, while the movie occurs in the "JJ" Universe that was created as a result of time travel and Quantum Mechanics.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

I am definitely looking forward to seeing what Trek novelists can do with this. There hasn't been anything announced on that point (i.e. when/if novels will start dealing with the change in the timeline, or if we'll ever see novels taking place in the JJ-verse), but I suspect they've got contingency plans. Plus, there's the Crucible novels, the Shatnerverse, Star Trek Online, the Star Fleet Universe, and (to a lesser extent) the Rihannsu novels, none of which jibe with the current novel continuity anyway, so it's not like this is the only contradiction.

As for Enterprise - we've got a reported Archer shout-out in the new film, and as we all know, the show takes place well before Nero shows up, so we're definitely safe.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  12. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

At least you aren't a buzzkill anymore...

;)

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

If better, more popular, and more successful series (which is all of them) are being discarded, it's a safe bet that Enterprise will be discarded too.

14. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

but we dont know for sure what has and has not been discarded.
    the writers have gone on record of being fans of all the series but especially star trek.

as for enterprise..
    really it had far less canon errors then many fans claimed.
    and tos itself as noted before had its own issues at time with canon.

15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

I Remember...

Day One... Zero Hour...

It wasn't pretty...

Thank Goodness We All survived.

Well, some of Us anyway... :)

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I must have fallen through a space-time vortex. I could swear I saw a post by Stewey a while ago.

He is going to love the old Porthos in the new movie.

17. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enterprise did not BREAK what was established before. What it did was bend and elaborate on things.

Not Star Trek's greatest moment, but it IS CANON.

What are the "Huge, Glaring Contradictions" precisely?

What EXACTLY do they contradict? Note: Do NOT point to books, as they are NOT canon, though I've been told some of them are pretty good.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ENT isn't a prequel to TOS, it is a sequel to ST 8: First Contact.

Yes this movie does give some credit to ENT but we must assume events within it are somewhat different from what we saw in our ENT.

Keeping multiple timelines straight can be difficult but we must at least try in order to keep our conversations making sense. It bugs me when I see the producers of Star Trek out-nerding the nerds.

19. Stewey

Stewey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really have to disagree with you there.

When you compare the events of Enterprise to the references to Ents timeline from the other shows, the two cannot be reconciled. Enterprise could not possibly lead to the TOS/TNG/DS9/Voyager as they were seen on screen.

Enterprise could have redeemed itself by using the TCW (a truly horrible idea in the first place in my view) as a way to explain why Enterprise contradicts the other shows so glaringly. I think it could have brought many fans back to that show, perhaps even me.

Whether or not any particular show had errors or not, I would never consider that to be a justification for the carelessness of B&B when they came up with Enterprise.

The odd genuine mistake in an individual episode can be forgiven but for me it is unforgivable to be so careless when it comes to the entire premise for a prequel series set in the past of a universe with 40 years worth of content.

I appreciate and accept that people simply want to be entertained, but for me I simply can't be entertained by a show that metaphorically sticks two fingers up to TOS and the series that followed.

Hi Cyrus, porthos was the only character I did like. :lol:

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And for all we know, when Abrams is finished with HIS movies there might be one more timeline reset button where the TREK universe reverts to the Shatner/TOS one when the final movie ends. Lazy and predictable. But would preserve everything else that follows chronologically.;)