The Voice (U.S.)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Danny99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Blake deliberately sabotage Nic Hawk? Not that he was going to advance anyway (he may be entertaining, but his actual singing voice his annoying no matter how technically precise it is), but Blake's whole thing about song choice has been to not compete against an original version that's still high on the charts, yet his rationale for Nic was to give him the hottest song out there?

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

James Wolpert, Tessanne Chin, Austin Jenckes and Will Champlin seem to be the ones killing it on iTunes (With Ray Bordreaux and Cole close behind). Shelbie Z and Nic Hawk are way down and Grey isn't anywhere to be seen.

I didn't think Wolpert's was the best performance of the night but I did think the song choice was cool and he had moments of awesomeness. But moreover, I think it's awesome that this is the sort of performance people are voting for this year. All the more straight up pop and pop-country stuff (Even the performances I liked) are farther down the chart.

I wouldn't be too sad if the six who sold well are the six to advance. But I would be happier if Cole and Austin made it on votes and Blake used the blond exemption on Shelbie Z.

3. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that there were many good performances last night, much better than the knockout rounds. I liked Cole, Austin, Shelbie, and Tessanne. I am on the fence about James Wolpert.

I did like Will Champlin, but I'm surprised to see that he's doing so well since he strikes me as one of the more boring contestants. After his song last night I even said to myself that I didn't think he had a chance of winning this thing, simply because he doesn't seem to have a lot of charisma. But I do hope that he does well, because he has talent, and that's what I care more about.

As for Grey, Preston, and Ray Boudreaux...I don't even really remember their performances. Actually, I do remember Grey's - I fast forwarded through it because I didn't like it at all.

Nic...I feel like I shouldn't like him, because he definitely doesn't have the best singing talent in the competition, but for some reason I do. Even if he doesn't go far on this show, I hope he makes a good career out of this, because he is damn entertaining.

4. JirinPanthosa

For tonight's episode, I felt Ceelo's singers didn't really stand out much. Kat Robichaud was the only one I really cared for much. I feel Jonny is his best singer and he had a weak performance. Blah.

As for Christina, I thought Josh Logan, Sephanie Ann Johnson and James Shuler were awesome, and was baffled that Jacquie Lee got such a superlative response whereas some of my favorites got the 'Only one criticism...' treatment.

I mean, Jacquie Lee obviously has a good voice but she did that whole cheesy crowd-playing pacing where she over-choreographs her big moments. She's obviously going to get in over one of these far more deserving people.

5. Aragorn

Are the coaches being told to be excessively positive this season? Last night CeeLo was gushing over everyone without actually saying anything, and tonight three of the coaches tell Amber Nicole she only had one bad note? She botched the song, there were a lot more bad notes than just one.

Too much generic praise is just as bad as too much generic Simon-esque criticism.

6. JirinPanthosa

Looks like the only three performances selling well are Caroline Pennell, Matthew Shueler and Jacquie Lee.

I'm surprised Stephanie Ann Johnson isn't doing well, and that guy who sang Crazy. I'm also surprised them and Kat didn't get more positive comments from the coaches. The coach reaction has a huge effect on results and sometimes it baffles me. A charismatic emotional performance, weird comments about 'Ooh I wanted you to go somewhere else'. Some 16 year old does a technically strong but emotionally bland performance where she mostly just milks one big moment, 'OOH YOU CAN WIN THIS THING!' WTF?

7. Spot's Meow

I'm surprised Stephanie Ann Johnson isn't doing better too. I thought she was great. I really liked Jacquie Lee too, but I think that had a LOT to do with song choice.

Matthew Shueler...every season there is one contestant who the coaches and audience just absolutely love, and I don't get it. This is that contestant this year. I have not liked any his performances, it just didn't sound that great to me, yet they nearly gave a standing ovation.

I didn't like many of the performances tonight, again I think due a lot to song choice. It always feels like Christina is sabotaging her team in some way, because she picks songs that don't fit her artists or their abilities at all.

8. Aragorn

I think Tessanne Chin is going to suffer from being "too good" like what happens to someone every season. She'll survive a few rounds and then the voters will just get tired of her.

There should be a Voice drinking game:

Every time Adam says he's a fan.

Every time Adam says he has one complaint but it's an insignificant nitpick based on personal preference that means nothing.

Every time Christina has to sing a verse from the song just performed to draw all the attention to herself.

Every time Blake calls someone a superstar.

9. JirinPanthosa

Don't forget:

Christina says 'Pitchy'

Blake points at himself

Ceelo picks a song he thinks is cool but 99.9% of the audience hasn't cared about for 20 years

Adam finds a thinly veiled way to call Blake a redneck.

10. Aragorn

At this point, I think these are the contenders for the final round:

Caroline (Team CeeLo), Matthew (Team Christina), Jacquie (Team Christina) and James (Team Adam).

Tessanne Chin is like Judith Hill from last season -- too good to show any signs of growth or change -- so eventually she'll get voted out.

Caroline could fall short too since artists who sing like her don't really change much from song to song (although her confidence seems to be soaring) and people could get bored.

I don't think anyone on Team Blake will win, but there could be a chance for someone like Cole to pull a Swon Brothers and just pick the perfect song week after week and make it advance really far.

And then there's Adam, who will decimate his team by picking crappy songs for them to sing.

11. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

So far I have to agree with the voting and the coaches choices. Enjoying this season; some really good, diverse talent.

Q2

12. Spot's Meow

And of course whenever they mention a contestant's age. They are always asking "how old are you again?" or referring to certain people as "the youngest in the competition!" Okay, who cares?

The results last night were expected. The only time I was surprised was when Blake chose Ray, I was certain he would choose the blonde country singer instead.

13. JirinPanthosa

That reminds me, drink every time a coach asks a question that was obviously fed to them by the producers. "So you served in the army right?"

So far I think the only major losses to the competition are Stephanie Ann Johnson and Shelbie Z. Hopefully Jacqie Lee doesn't turn into this year's Danielle Bradbery, the bland schmaltzy emotionless young kid who laps up votes through pandering and coach manipulation.

14. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Josh Logan is the perfect example of why Christina will never win. She chooses with middling talent that she has a "connection" with. If I heard him on the radio, I'd change the channel.

15. Danny99

I also won't be buying a James Wolpert album and I don't understand the continuing wet dream over him. He did a horrible job on Mr. Brightside.

16. JirinPanthosa

I didn't disagree with the selection of Groban, I enjoyed his rendition of Crazy. Of course I missed today's episode and don't remember his previous performances.

Honestly I think a few of them could produce a good album but none will because none are songwriters and the label will not give them the A material.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I can only assume that in situations like this, it is down to some flaw in the audio and broadcast, because to me the whole thing sounded flat as hell.

18. Spot's Meow

I think it's mostly about looks with James Wolpert. He's got the nerdy sex appeal that's so "in" right now. I don't think he has a terrible voice but there have been issues with all of his performances. I think that Adam kept him around because he knew he'd get the teenage girl fan base.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Does he though? He is kind of awkward and goofy rather than sexy-hipster-cool.

20. Danny99

Two of the middling people went home, but I was shocked Kat was in the position of needing the Insta-Save.

She got the Judith treatment.