Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I've never gotten why some people think continuity = convoluted (I'm not saying you necessarily do, I'm just using your comment to work off of). It doesn't. You don't need to know every single second of, say, Iron man's history to jump on board with him. You don't need to have seen Beast become blue and furry to understand the character. Back before they renumbered comics every 12-24 issues, you could get into comics without needing to jump into it from the beginning. Now, there is also stuff that's going to be harder to get into, but a total reboot is not the answer. But, it doesn't seem like a reboot. Crisis on infinite earths changed some things, but some books remained completely unaffected (although some of the bigger ones different).

To me, this just sounds like they want an excuse to have some alternate reality characters be in the main Marvel U full time, and maybe mess with one or two things they don't like anymore. I doubt we're getting a New 52 or even COIE level reboot, just a mash up with a few possible retcons.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not expecting to see a lot of Ultimate influence in the New Marvel U. Hasn't the Ultimate line been selling horribly ever since Ultimatum ended and Mark Millar finished his Ultimate Avengers run? Isn't Miles Morales the only notable part of the Ultimate U left? I'm expecting him to be the only character getting recycled.

That said, I also expect they'll use this opportunity to shift things closer to the movies.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the mashing of the two universes is...different. I don't know what to expect. Except that this new MU will continue screwing over the X-Men. Especially when it comes to plugging the boring Inhumans.

Trying to line up their comic universe with their movie universe is a stupid mistake. No matter how much their films make, it won't translate to increased comic sales. They should be kept separate.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

why is it that X-Men fans are so worried about The Inhumans? they have two ongoing titles. the X-Men have what, eleven or so books?

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even Rich doesn't think it is a reboot. Marvel has just enjoyed trolling and teasing it's fan base (i.e. Brevoort being a douche online, etc) about one. The MU will be different after this is done, but it won't be what DC did. They have too much to lose to do something like that.

This is the culmination of Hickman's plans since he started. Those reading both "Avengers" and "New Avengers" would understand this. It has also been slowly seeded through other titles as well.

The X-Men will be fine since Bendis has both titles and has been apart of this as well (the breaking of time and time travel, etc). Cyclops is Hickman's favourite X-Men character and was prominently displayed in the original "Secret Wars" banner. I don't believe they will be going anywhere. They will enhance the profile of the Inhumans though in the same way they did "Guardians of the Galaxy" for the upcoming...but Pipes knows I disagree with him on this.

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

I wonder if the Beyonder will have some part in this new Secret Wars. Then again, he's got a somewhat convulted backstory/mythology since the original miniseries.

Also regarding rebooting the MU, they seem to be kind of vague about that. Either the new Battleworld is where future Marvel stories will be set, instead of Earth; or at the end they'll be some other kind of new Earth thing ala DC.

The original Secret Wars did introduce a few changes to the Marvel status quo (She-Hulk joining the FF, Magneto becoming more of a good guy, the Hulk starting to return to a savage state after he had Banner's mind, and of course Spider-Man's symbiotic black costume aka one half of Venom, the debut of Titania and Spider-Woman II/Arachne/Madame Web II), but of course it wasn't a massive change.

7. Doctorwhovian

Also to add to the previous post, I think the issues dealing with the changes from Secret Wars came out around the same time as the first issue, so the series was more of how they got to that point (Secret Wars II on the other hand was paced differently). Wonder if they'll do this with the current MU.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope it's just vague PR leading to this total reboot idea being the case.

I'd also hate to see titles end, that normally wouldn't, just...you know...because.

9. Admiral_Young

I really truly do not believe this is leading to a reboot. It's just trolling and fan dread that is causing this IMO and because DC did it "first". Remember that the reboot thing has been rumoured/talked about as far back as Marvel Now's launched and people thought THAT was going to be a wide line reboot.

It makes no sense for Marvel to do a reboot right now. Especially with how Spider-Man sales have been in 2014, etc.

As for the Beyonder...his presence has been rumoured for quite awhile now. If he is going to be involved it's just a matter of how.

10. Captain Craig

The only "minor" books I read that I worry about are Punisher, Deathlok & Black Widow.
    Both were out of the top 100 on Diamonds November charts. All Edmondson penned books sadly and all really good, well Deathlok as of issue #4 is getting that way but the other two have been great! Ghost Rider I won't be sad to see go though really.

Moon Knight, Guardians 3000 and Legendary Starlord were all in the top 100!

11. Admiral_Young

Well "Punisher" is supposed to be split into two books soon according to Rich. A Marvel Max book or whatever and the next volume of Edmonson's run. "Black Widow" should be fine as well.

They are planning on publishing "fewer" titles since "Secret Wars" will be the main dominant arc going on. I would suspect that perhaps some titles will continue through this or maybe even be halted and then restarted again once Hickman concludes Wars next year.

This feels a lot like AOA to me in the way they're presenting it. I was too young to remember the actual first "Secret Wars" except for the toys since I was like five or six back when it came out.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't expect a Nu52-style hard reboot. The big reason is this -- why go to the trouble of some of the recent launches if you're only going to press the button in six months?

A soft-reboot (which, let's be frank, Crisis was) is something I could see happening, though. Stuff that works continues. Stuff that needs a tweak here and there gets it. Stuff that needs a wholesale rethink gets it. So, Marvel could continue with Slott's work on Amazing, while mucking around with other stuff. There would be some growing pains as various elements sort themselves out, but the soft-reboot approach would work.

13. Admiral_Young

^ I expect that to be the outcome which is what I meant about streamlining things...but it'll be a very soft reboot. As far as I'm concerned though it's still way too early to know what Hickman and editorial have planned. There will be elements from his Four run included in "Secret Wars" as the two Reeds will be the main characters in the book. Cyclops too is supposed to be a big part since he is his favourite X-Men character.

14. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Marvel is not really my thing now. I don't think I will ever get over the ...pietro and wanda are no longer magneto's kids because it does not work well with the mcu films.

15. Doctorwhovian

Marvel did sort of try a reboot with Heroes Reborn-basically at the end of Onslaught most of the Avengers and Fantastic Four were presumed dead, but were in fact in another universe where they lived different lives and were drawn by Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld etc. while in the regular Marvel Universe the less popular with the public heroes such as X-men, Hulk, Spider-Man and the Thunderbolts were all that was left.

However that project didn't do so well and the FF/Avengers were back in the regular MU after a year or so, with Marvel taking a sort of back to basics approach to the Avengers (Basically, getting rid of a lot of the 90's changes such as Wasp becoming more insect like, Teen Tony etc.) until the Disassembled storyline(Although the FF title still struggled creatively until Mark Waid IMO).

Of course there was the Ultimate Universe which sort of updated the characters (and provided some inspiration here and there for the movies, including the MCU) but the original 616 continuity was still being published at the same time.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The other thing is, Marvel continues to kick DC's ass. They don't need to reboot. They're already winning.

17. Captain Craig

Well if you think about it they weren't his kids for about 20yrs--till they were retconned into being his kids.
    If anything it's a reset to that Original 15-20yrs of Wanda & Pietro's fictional existence when there was no Cinematic Universe.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And it's hardly the first time the movies have influenced the comics. Spider-Man's organic web-shooters and the X-Men's black leather uniforms come to mind right off the top of my head.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Both of those weren't exactly great ideas. Joss Whedon got rid of the leather costumes in his Astonishing X-Men run that Morrison had introduced in his X-Men run (and made a decent point against them with some dialog), and the organic web shooters were so stupid that I think they were just quietly allowed to fade away. I'm pretty sure that they just gave Peter back his normal web shooters with no explanation. I love the MCU and X-Men movies, but I don't think any change made to make the comics match the movies was ever an improvement, except maybe giving Iron Man a Jarvis AI in his suit for awhile.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any of the books leading up to it, so I don't know what they've established, but the impression I've gotten about Secret Wars is that Battleworld will just be temporary, and after it we'll get a new merged universe. Once the universes merge, it sounds to me like the characters' histories won't change, it's just that we'll be getting versions from what had once been alternate universes all together. So we'll probably be seeing Peter Parker Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Superior Spider-Man, and Miles Morales Spider-Man, all existing side by side in one universe, rather than four. I also read someone theorize that we might see the main universe Fantastic Four replaced by the Ultimate Fantastic Four, which could explain why they're making such a big deal about their book ending.