The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    They are cute, aren't they? Disney's also put out figures of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker as R2-D2 and C-3PO. The Disneyworld folks have cranked out a nice handful of Muppet and Disney cartoon STAR WARS characters in the last few years. As I said I don't collect them and I don't own any, but they've been rather tempting more than once. Being the STAR WARS nut I am it can be very hard to say no to certain collectibles. :p

Here's a video of the Bunsen and Beaker figures:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAUGLhR6yk[/yt]

And here's Sam the Eagle as Obi-Wan and Gonzo as Darth Vader! Camilla the Chicken is a Stormtrooper. :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaNWGjV3o_o&feature=fvwrel[/yt]

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I love Star Wars. I love the Muppets.

Why the heck do I not own any of these?

3. cooleddie74

And here's an amusing, very short little video of some of the other figures in the series! Kermit is Luke, Fozzie is Chewbacca, one of the Henson Rats is Yoda and Piggy is Princess Leia.

This stuff does my geeky heart good. :adore:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_IW-JCge0&feature=related[/yt]

4. OdoWanKenobi

That's it. Cost be damned. I must have them! I must have them all!

5. cooleddie74

^
    Between the Pony obsession and the Muppet STAR WARS stuff the TrekBBS is going to end up bankrupting you. You realize that, don't you? We've contributed to your downfall. :lol:

Can't blame you though. These Muppets are things I've deliberately passed on and sort of regretted. I might have to look into picking at least some of these up online. I don't know how many sets there are but there can't be too many floating around.

6. OdoWanKenobi

I'm not actually buying any ponies, right now. I have the Mcdonald's ones, and that's it. I'm not going to buy the crappy inaccurate stuff that Hasbro puts out.

By the way, Ponies and Muppet Star Wars are going to bankrupt me? Have you not seen the Hot Toys Avengers I've been posting? :lol:

7. cooleddie74

Good point. :rofl:

Man, isn't being a toy collector both the coolest and the most frustrating hobby there is? There's always something new and cool you have to get and it can cost an arm and a leg...but once you get it you feel so, so much better. When I read stories of people paying seventy or eighty dollars for one Darth Malgus action figure on eBay I cringe and roll my eyes, but who knows...maybe that person can afford to spend close to a Ben Franklin on one action figure and it brings them lots of joy and satisfaction. More power to them. It must be nice to drop four Andrew Jacksons plus shipping on one 4" action figure and not bat an eye.

Great Hot Toys collection, BTW. I'm sure I've already said it, but it bears reiterating. Damn fine stash you've got there. I hope you can score at least a few of the Muppets!

8. OdoWanKenobi

I've paid more than that for Hot Toys stuff, but that's a whole different thing than paying that much for a 4" figure. I would never ever ever do that. I have a rule. Anything that was mass market, no matter how difficult to find, I will never pay more than $30 for.

9. cooleddie74

Don't blame you. Now, if it were, say an original 12-Back 1978 Death Squad Commander, Jawa or Han Solo? Yes. An original, still-carded action figure from the late seventies that's in pretty good condition is worth eighty bucks because more often than not you're gonna have a pay a LOT more than that for one of those gems. I've seen 12-Backs in good or even excellent shape go from several hundred all the way up to several thousand dollars. A 12-Back Jawa with a vinyl cape almost always runs at least $2,000-$2,500 and that's on a good and cheap day! At auctions they've gone for much more than that!

10. OdoWanKenobi

Well, yeah, obviously vintage Star Wars figures are going to be an exception. I'm not collecting those, though. I like quality. Those are old, outdated, and hold no nostalgic feelings for me since they were all made before I was born. No offense, of course.

Sideshow really does make it a lot easier to afford Hot Toys stuff, though. With their flexpay option, I can pay $50.00 a month instead of dropping the $200 all at once. I'm flexing every single one of these Avengers, because this is actually a collection that is damn important to me. It will take a year at least for all of them to come out, but it will make for one incredibly impressive display. After that, I'm probably done with Hot Toys for a long time. Ok, not true. There's still Star Wars, even if they haven't shown anything beyond Luke. It makes me almost kinda happy that DCUC is dead, Marvel Legends are MIA, and I can't find the Star Wars figures I want for the life of me. It's easier to afford this.

11. cooleddie74

Oh, none taken. They're cheesy as hell when you look back on them from the distance of thirty years. It's hard to believe they were once considered high-quality action figures because almost none of them looked like the movie characters unless it was an exotic alien, and even then it was a 50/50 shot at best it would look just like the film makeup or puppet. But I grew up collecting, playing with and adoring those old things and the original packaging and figures have always held a very special place in my heart. I recently picked up a carded, C-8 grade General Madine from 1984 at my friend's toy shop and couldn't put it down. I didn't buy it because he was a little out of my range for that day, but that classic, old school Kenner packaging, cardback and sculpting always transport me back to being a little kid with a huge mess of bushy blonde hair recreating battles from the movies I loved. The old school stuff is wonky as hell, but man were they the bomb for their era. :luvlove:

Speaking of which, check out this video...this guy must be pretty loaded to be able to afford the entire original set of these on high-quality cardbacks! He even bought the VINYL-CAPE JAWA! What a lucky bastard! He must be the envy of a lot of YouTube viewers! :p

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guxoZSHcuas[/yt]

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  12. OdoWanKenobi

More pics of Loki, along with the chance to order can be found right here.

Man, this figure is just breathtaking. Absolutely some of Hot Toys best work ever, and that is really saying something.

13. cooleddie74

Dayum!

That Loki is breathtaking. Just...stunning. It's hard to believe sometimes that something like that is considered a toy, if a very high-end one.

Impressive. Most impressive.

14. OdoWanKenobi

If I didn't know any better, I would think Hot Toys had shrunk down Tom Hiddleston. A pact with dark forces of the beyond is the only logical explanation I can find for this level of skill.

The head sculptor on this one, Lee So Young, is a new name for us. Whoever it is though needs to be put on lots more toys! Maybe he can fix Thor, before he comes out. I can't believe Thor is a Kojun sculpt. He's usually so much better than that.

Man, you know you're a diehard when you know the names of sculptors.

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Buy them, then buy OtakuSquirrel's kits to make them accurate. That way, you can spend enough money to bankrupt yourself! Yay!

16. OdoWanKenobi

Oh man. Hot Toys is now saying there will be 10-12 Avengers figures. Holy crap. So far we already know:

1. Nick Fury
    2. Hawkeye
    3. Captain America
    4. Thor
    5. Loki
    6. Iron Man Mark VII
    7. Hulk
    8. Black Widow

So what else could we get? Coulson? Hill? Chitauri Soldier? Banner? Or dare I wish for
    Thanos?

17. cooleddie74

More pics are surfacing on the collector sites of the fun and amazing combinations you can create with Disney's Droid Factory parts...check out these packaged examples! As I may or may not have mentioned earlier in the thread you as a paying customer build your own astromech droids from a vast variety of existing mix-and-match parts and then package your own creations yourself for eventual display. I've never been there, but right now I wish Disneyworld weren't so far away! :D

[​IMG]

18. OdoWanKenobi

I need to go to freaking Disneyworld!

Btw, new Hot Toys teaser:
    [​IMG]

19. cooleddie74

Dang. That does it. I need to invest in Hot Toys. To hell with the cost. I'll just finance them if I have to. :p

Yeah, those Droid Factory pics have me salivating. I doubt I'd put Mickey ears, Goofy ears, Indiana Jones fedoras or Jack Sparrow pirate hats on any astromechs(I'd want mine to look a lot more movie-style and accurate) but I'd love to stand at the Factory display for a good hour or two putting together as many droids as I could afford in one drop. I'm sure I'd be flat-busted broke in no time, but it'd be worth it just to have some of the astromechs I've always pictured in my mind and wanted.

20. OdoWanKenobi

Are you kidding? Pirate hats and fedoras would be the very first thing I'd put on my droids :D