Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Finished Masters of War. I love this story, must have more David Warner as The Doctor (Though too bad Nicholas Courtney is no longer with us to travel with him as the Brig)

Finally back to Evelyn/Six, popped in Project: Twilight this morning, and will be watching Real Time over the weekend wether I finish Project: Twilight before then or not

I'll be getting the first Dalek Empire story from this month's Audio Book Club Special, and will take a quick break from Evelyn/Six to listen to it, once others start listening and posting in Omaha's Book Club thread. Even if I love it, though, I will wait until I get caught up a bit on my backlog before buying the rest of the Dalek Empire Series

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh, bf Stargate range is currently 2.99 per disk for series 1 & 2.

Splurge.

3. Sindatur

Finished Project: Twilight - Awesome Vampires :bolian: I enjoyed it, especially that the villianess fooled the Doctor into helping her scheme believing he was helping her to find a cure, which she didn't want, but, instead, helped her perfect her plans. Nice that in the end, it didn't get all tied up pretty as they had to leave the one girl (Cassie?) in the Arctic because they hadn't cure her yet.

Also watched Real Time - it was great seeing Evelyn's first encounter with the Cybermen, she's just such an awesome character, such a fantastic change from the typical "Hot sexy companion in a miniskirt"

I bought and downloaded Dalek Empire 1.1 and downloaded my first Subscription release Persuasion, so, I'll interrupt my Colin/Evelyn listening to listen them when someone comments on them. But for now, popped in The Sandman. I'm also looking forwarding to Jubilee after seeing DalekJim, (I believe) commenting on how they don't make them like Jubilee any more.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they kinda suck. Brilliant execution, but small tiny inbetween stories (think DS9 season 2.) irrelevant and inconsequential to the greater landscape produced in a companion chronicles like format, which is just weird at first... Good lord, just make thse stories dramatic readings of a book or hire a couple more people and make it a play. Make a dicision! Shit or get off the pot!

Season three however is a fantastic series of full cast plays (which if you listen to it in one go feels like one huge ongoing story.) starring Shanks and Claudia with a couple surprises tucked in.

5. Pindar

I don't mind that format, but S3 sounds promising.

S3 is £30 just now but I will hold off on that till I work through 1&2.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just picked up Series 3 so the wife and I could listen to it in the car next road trip. Thought about 1-2, but decided I couldn't miss out on Ba'al or Thor!

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can you imagine Shanks and Hemsworth getting into a pissing contest about who the real Thor is?

8. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How are the Sarah Jane Smith dramas? She was always my favorite original companion, there was just something instantly likeable about Elizabeth Sladen, and having finished The Sarah Jane Adventures, I really want to add these to my collection. Are they worth it, as stories?

9. Pindar

I enjoyed them, they ended on a massive cliff hanger though.

10. Stevil2001

They're decent. In the first season, the one by Terrance Dicks is good until it gets to the plot (but that takes half the story!), the one by Barry Letts is not good, the ones by David Bishop and Peter Anghelides are great, the Scooby Doo one is all right. The second season is a little more cohesive, as it's all by one writer, and the last two especially are fantastic. Lis Sladen is of course delightful, and they come up with some decent "companions" for her. Would've been fun to see Nat in an SJA story.

11. Sindatur

Finished Six/Evelyn, Sandman, and I'm about 3/4 of the way through Jubilee, and loving it so far. I've been very lucky with the Audios I've listened to. Only the Arabella Weir Unbound and the Freebie Mission of the Viyrans have been audios I've disliked. All the rest of the Unbounds, The Six/Evelyn stories so, Gallifrey and the various ones people have suggested to me have all been very satisfying.

SJA Audios is something I need to look into some day as well, I really enjoyed the Show once it got beyond the more Juvenile S1.

Speaking of Dalek Empire, anyone seen these Second Empire? It's an interesting twist on the Daleks, I'm watching the first part of Episode 2 right now.

Second Empire

12. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great. Definitely sounds like they're worth spending the money on, then. I'll get the range as soon as I can. :)

In the meantime, I still have K-9 & Company and Downtime to watch. :)

13. Sindatur

Finished Jubilee, a very excellent story. Six and Evelyn, Daleks, Timey-Wimeyness, lots of twists and shocks and very well done Psychologically. Although I've enjoyed all the Evelyn/Six stories, I think this one is my favorite up to this point.

Popped in Doctor Who and The Pirates this morning on the way to work and have heard just a couple minutes of it, cool framing story.

14. Stevil2001

After K-9 and Company and Downtime, even The Tao Connection will seem a work of genius!

But seriously, if you like Lis/Sarah, they're good buys.

15. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Big Finish's SJ output isn't based on SJA, but rather pre-dates it. It's an original series looking at Sarah's post-Doctor investigative life, and released between 2002 and 2006. :)

16. Sindatur

So, the better adventures of K9 and Company ;) (Cheezy and awful as it is, I do have a soft spot in my heart for K9 and Company)

17. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:D Kind of, but without K9. Not sure why, but he'd broken down and been placed in a box in the attic... The series was notable for featuring Elisabeth Sladen's daughter Sadie Miller in the role of Natalie Redfern.

18. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

*evil laughter*

Episode 4 is my favorite episode of Big Finish audios. There is no close second.

It is, to date, the one and only Doctor Who Musical.

19. Sindatur

I knew this story would bring you out into the open :D

Hopefully it'll be more enjoyable to me further on, but, I think I finished all of the first episode, and I'm feeling about as irritated as Susan waiting for the story to do something (Though maybe that's intentional for story purposes :shrug: )

20. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything from Big Finish is good to awesome. There isn't one I don't regret buying. The AudioGo series with the 4th Doctor is OK but your mileage may vary.

What I recommend
    Holy Terror
    The Lost Stories
    8th Doctor series with Lucy Miller
    Anything with Colin Baker
    The Dalek Empire series 1 and 2 (3 and 4 are Ok but not as good)
    Jaggo and Lightfoot

What I don't recommend
    The mainline 8th Doctor adventures from Neverland to The Girl Never Was (don't get me wrong there are some real gems but overall the stories aren't up to BF's usual quality)
    4th Doctor series (OK but not as good as the 4 part series)
    Key2Time series
    Any story containing Thomas Brewster (personally I like the character but people seem to react negatively to him)
    The Stage Plays

Recommendation based on Doctor

5th
    Spare Parts
    Winter for the Adepts
    The Mutant Phase

6th
    Holy Terror
    The Apocalypse Element
    Assassin in the Limelight

7th
    Colditz