Who do you want to play the 13th Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Newspaper Taxi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

You haven't been paying attention to Doctor Who in general, have you? The program has always delighted in time travel, temporal paradoxes, and other timey-wimey stuff. As such, it's real easy to see Hurt's Doctor as a temporal paradox or something like the Dream Lord or the Valeyard--a part of the Doctor, yet not. In any event, Hurt's Doctor will have his important story, be sent off on his way in the end, and then things will continue as before with Eccleston still as the Ninth Doctor, Tennant as the Tenth and so on. Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor, not the Thirteenth.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Timey-wimey, he could even be a future incarnation anyway. Okay, so Smith's Doctor knew about him which tends to suggest that Hurt was in his past but he (Smith) also knew his own burial place which would most definitely be in his future.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's just finish this! Capaldi is the thirteenth body the doctor has had, but Capaldi is only the twelfth known as the doctor. Plus the BBC have made the doctor immortal now I think, so he won't die after Capaldi.

Just to spell it out again: Capaldi is the thirteenth body the doctor has had, but the twelfth known as the doctor.

Man this Hurt thing has bloody complicated things so much. I wish he could bloody just be the Valeyard.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Or, the call out to the Valleyard, could be a hint to us, that HurtDoctor is a Spinoff incarnation (Like the Valleyard and the Dreamlord), not an actual Regeneration, meaning a Regeneration wasn't used up making HurtDoctor. We just don't know until we see HurtDoctor's story play out in the Anniversary Special. Maybe that's the biggest reason Smith feels righteous in denying him the use of the name, because he's not a real Regeneration, he's a manifestation in some way. And yea, he may be everything the ending of NotD led us to believe (A previous Regeneration that he's ashamed of and has disowned and disavowed)

Yes, right now, it seems safe to assume HurtDoctor used up one of The Doctor's 13 lives, but you know what happens when you ass u me

5. Green Lantern

I hope he's a manifestation. Or maybe it could be like when the Master took over Tremas' body in Keeper of traken. or maybe even when the Master took Bruce's. Maybe it was an evil timelord who died and took over the eigth doctor, and that aged him and gave him the beard and s on. Then when the possessed doctor needed to regenerate, that killed the parasite timelord if you will.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I think The Doctor should be a white male but I really like the idea of Alexander Siddig playing him so I am somewhat flexible in that regard. In fact, he's probably my favourite choice for the next Doctor.

Idris Elba though? Atrociously wrong. The Doctor shouldn't be an aggressive black man. Pretty much the opposite of what I'd want from the character.

7. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Temporal paradoxes and [Moffat catch phrase] stuff is primarily a NuWho thing. The 1963-1989 run very rarely delt with those types of things. Off the top of my head I can only really think of a couple of paradoxial stories. "Day of the Daleks","Mawdryn Undead", and "Attack of the Cyberman".

Again, god fobid we get an interesting plot idea that dosen't get erased in some form by the end. I really like the idea of an actual Time War Doctor rather than having the conflict of whether it was 8 or 9.

As I pointed out Moffat has already put in a way for Hurt to exsit but still have the NuWho Doctors retain their numbers.

He's actually the 16th. The other four being Richard Hurndall (The Five Doctors), Michael Jayston (Trial of a Time Lord), Toby Jones (Amy's Choice), and Hurt (50th Anneversery special).

I don't think they've made him immortal. The fact he knows he's buried some where in space and time points to the opposite.

I still don't understand why people are getting so pissy about having a Doctor during the Time War we didn't know about.

8. Green Lantern

Hurndall doesn't count, as he's just the first doctor. Only difference is he's a different actor in real life, but in doctor who, he's meant to be the same guy as William Hartnel. Michael Jayston was known as the Valeyard, no the doctor so he doesn't count. Toby Jones wasn't really known at all apart from by the doctor, Amy, and Rory. and even by them he was really just known as the Dream Lord. Hurt might not count as the other doctors refuse to accept him as one. I'm not sure about him though, as we've not seen his episode yet. Also, you forgot Peter Cushing as Dr Who in the Dalek films.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And the Shalka Doctor, wasn't written off, until well into Eccelston's Series, and of course, I guess their there'ss the Fatal Death Doctor(s) (I need to watch it at some point)

10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes because he could only have played him that way couldn't he! I mean actors playing different parts in different ways, whatever next!

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nope.
    Off the top of my head, I can also think of "The Space Museum," "The War Machines," "Pyramid of Mars," and "The Curse of Fenric." So it wasn't a rarely dealt thing.
    If that what's make you happy, I guess. Doesn't mean much (or really anything) as far as the show, though.
    :shrug:
    And as I pointed out, there is past precedent for there to be alternate versions of the Doctor that exist outside of his regeneration cycle.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

because black men are all 'aggressive'. mmmm racism.

13. DalekJim

OK, maybe I'm wrong and he hasn't purely been picked as a choice by fans because of his skin colour. Please point to me a role where Idris Elba acts remotely Doctor-ish, and isn't a gruff tough guy. The opposite of what anybody considers Doctor-ish.

This isn't even worth a response. Spiteful bollocks.

14. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Where it does it say "all"? Pretty sure he was just referring to Elba who is almost always aggressive. Mmmm actually reading posts.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

^ you know i dont think elba would make a good doctor, but not because he's black.

well you did say before that:

so it seemed like a fitting response.

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not entirely happy about it, but I accept it. And the ambiguity it adds to the Doctor's regenerations plays into something the Master said of the Valeyard, ""There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation. And I may say you do not improve with age!"

Given the above and Capaldi's strong physical resemblance to Jayston, I'm excited by the possibility that this is all a deliberate ploy to resurrect the Valeyard. Which then begs the question, who stops him?

And this is where I really go off the rails ...

Matt Smith comes back.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a delusional dreamer, but I love intrigue and disinformation, and if this is the game Moffat's playing, I will take back every nasty word I've ever uttered about him and forever consider him the best show-runner of Doctor Who ever.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not sure why he needed to refer to the actor's skin colour in that case. Would 'aggressive male' not have sufficed?

Anyway, I recall Eccleston and Colin Baker being aggressive at times.

18. DalekJim

Well, I stand by that statement and don't see how it could be considered racist by anybody sane. I also don't think Malcolm X should be played by Michael Cera. I'm discriminatory like that.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the doctors a fictional alien not a historical figure.

20. DalekJim

Alright, whatever. The Doctor should be played by a black man, no matter how inappropriate. If only Michael Clarke Duncan was still alive. He'd have been perfect. He had that eccentric professor quality that only people like William Hartnell and... Idris Elba posses.