The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think his point was the logic of the time travel in BTTF gave you no trouble, why does it bother you in this. But I'm just guessing.

2. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

I'm very dissapointed. I won't say I hate it, but I feel let down. A full reveiw later....

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Vorik gets de-canonized? That alone would make it worth the admission price

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither do I.

I'm actually quite surprised at how reverential the writers were to past material. This movie was clearly quite enamoured of the source material and did its damndest to litter the script with references and nods to what came before.

As a film, this movie was unrelenting in its pace. The two-hour runtime flew by with hardly a hitch and the action sequences were the best ever seen in a Trek feature. I would agree that the plot was on the thin side, but Gods did the characters and portrayals ring true.

Quinto was Spock in every measurable way. His was the performance that worried me the most, but he was entirely believable even when faced with Leonard Nimoy during the final sequence. Pine embodied a very happy mix of the brash 'movie' Kirk and the introspective self-doubting Kirk of S1 TOS. The romance angle between Uhura and Spock was also quite well done and I thought that they had good chemistry. Urban dallied a little too close to impersonation on a couple of occasions, but it was nice to see those hints of DeForest Kelley as he was always my favorite TOS performer.

The Big E looked fantastic in her new configuration and the visual effects were uniformly superb throughout.

All in all, this probably represents the best possible mix of opening Trek up to a new audience while still giving the fans little hints and nods to the Trek of yore. I am looking forward to seeing the pic again on Imax in a week and am very interested in where they go with the potential sequel.

5. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it so inconceivable that there is more than one person here who doesn't like this movie?

6. daveanator

daveanator Ensign Newbie

loved it !!!

7. thesadpanda

thesadpanda Commander Red Shirt

This perspective always mystifies me. I've heard it a lot recently since I'm a Spider-Man fan too and there was just a big continuity change in that universe too.

Star Trek episodes are just stories -- they were always fictional, they never really happened at all. Now, Nero's time travel erased some of the events of TNG in the FICTIONAL universe, but it's not as if the reruns and DVDs are going to disappear into thin air. You can still watch them an enjoy them just like you did before.

I'm not trying to belittle your feelings. I can see you feel bad about this. I just don't understand why it seem so hard to like the new Star Trek universe and keep loving the old one too. Why does it have to be an either-or choice?

8. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Commodore Commodore

I hope not.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well again as I said yesterday, the time travel element isn't the main reason I didn't enjoy it. The main reason is I myself just found it boring. Scenes that were meant to be action packed and exciting simply didn't work for me. I wasn't invested in the characters and the plot became far too predictable and by the numbers.

10. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was freaking awesome that he had the balls to do it and not reset it like Berman or others would have done...remember, this isn't the TNG universe anymore...Tuvok and Vorik and Selar and all the rest aren't dead...they're just in another part of the multiverse.

11. thesadpanda

thesadpanda Commander Red Shirt

I think it was consensual. ;)

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

:techman:

13. Bob The Skutter

I have no problem with people disliking it for their own reasons, I was just saying what I took from his comments.
    Honestly I do think all these complaints about it ruining continuity or the future not happening now to be daft, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

14. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since it's being brought up, I would like to point out that I whole-heartedly approve of the lack of a reset button. Normal Trek resets/ cop-outs are pretty bad, but to do something this big and make that many changes, I would have been pissed if they had Old Spock fix everything or some cheap crap like that.

15. Bob The Skutter

Me too, but this being Star Trek I was expecting it to reset at the end.

16. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess we can count our blessings or should we wait for the sequel just to be sure? :lol:

17. FTV

FTV Cadet Newbie

Man, I'm so glad I'm not someone that wasn't able to enjoy this movie because dang is it nice enjoying something this much.

18. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's the truth...I went out with friends, enjoyed discussing the minutae of Trek before the movie...watched, laughed, clapped and cheered the film for what it was and was thoroughly entertained the whole time. And now we've got a whole new Trek universe to delve into...not just to find the niggling details (although as a Trekkie, I'm sure I'll manage that too), but to see brand new stories and brand new directions that we'd have never, ever gotten to see on film under different circumstances. And I'm truly excited about the direction of Star Trek from this point forward for the first time in a very long time.

19. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering how deeply we have gotten into some very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about alternate timelines, parallel universes, canon, and continuity can't that in itself be proof that Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams failed to create a really coherent motion picture that succeeded in presenting its story and its internal logic well? Once again I think this points out that the use of time travel as a plot device in Sci-Fi has really come to a dead end.

20. Bob The Skutter

No, it can be taken as proof that Trekkies will debate endlessly over stupid shit, and will in the end always come away thinking everyone else is wrong and they are right.