Is Harmony Gold ever going to move forward with Robotech?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ian Keldon, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Last I heard, they were still casting the LA movie (Toby McGuire was cast as Rick Hunter).

And the sequel to Shadow Chronicles is still vaporware for all intents and purposes.

Has anyone heard any news that might indicate a change in the currently stalled status quo?

2. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Don't know much about Robotech but the Macross franchise is alive and well

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten about this project, you'd think in the midst of GI Joe and Transfomers and the upcoming Battleship and so on the time would've never been riper for this thing to have happened.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

But those Macross spinoffs suck.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Not all of them. Granted, MACROSS II was a muddled mess. MACROSS Flashback 2012 was an OK short, giving us a peek into the MEGAROAD's launch.

MACROSS 7 was all over the map, but had potential. I mean, Max as the captain! Too bad it focused on the Rock God character and Max's 7th daughter. Oh, and the aliens were just the worse. Space vampires who can't stand music! Then again, Rock God was a pretty bad singer.

I always thought that show would've been better had Max and the 7 been out looking for the lost MEGAROAD. Funny, that in both the MACROSS 'verse and ROBOTECH 'verse, Rick/Hikaru and Lisa/Misa along with their ship go missing.

Haven't seen but a clip of MACROSS FRONTIER. However, MACROSS PLUS is brilliant. Gorgeous in execution. Really tried to dig deep and deconstruct the idol singer concept. Well done all around.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Macross Plus and Frontier are excellent far better than any thing that Robotech has ever churned out (Sentinels, Shadow Chronicles).

As for Robotech I wish Harmony Gold would just fold already they don't do anything with the properties they own and aside form that all they do is block anything Macross related from reaching markets outside Japan. I would move on Robotech is for all intents and purposes a dead franchise.

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

How is it possible that Harmony Gold "owns" Robotech? It was just a dub, except for names almost nothing was changed, despite all this bastardization talk it really wasn't that different.

8. Leroy

Technically Harmony Gold doesn't own anything Macross related including character and mechanical designs. Notice how in Shadow Chronicles everything Macross related was either downplayed or nonexistant in SC. The designs for Southern Cross and MOSPEADA are outright owned by HG so they have no issues with being able to use them unfortunately those were the least popular parts of Robotech.

9. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Macross Frontier was outstanding. if you get the chance, you should give it a shot.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harmony Gold always seems to have finance issues with things and has their projects fall through. I wish the Hollywood movie just went straight to Japan and the Macross route.

I don't have hatred for Robotech, I consider it the biggest reason how I became an anime fan. If HG had never brought it over (and to get enough episodes they had to merge in two unrelated shows) and aired it on US television I doubt I would have gotten into anime in the mid 80s.

Also want to agree with those recommending Macross Frontier... I thought it was really good and the movies (which are a retelling somewhat) are pretty good too. I'm kind of bummed that since it was the 25th anniversary project of Macross that they didn't finally reveal what happened to Hikaru/Misa/Minmay. They've been 'missing' for almost 25 years now with no word of their fate...

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The problem appears to be that Harmony Gold can't move forward with Robotech because of the live-action movie. Somehow, the proposed sequel(s) to The Shadow Chronicles became tied up with that (which is stuck in developmental hell for the time being at Warner Bros., but the project isn't considered dead there).

In the meantime, Harmony Gold is working on a "sidequel" to the original Robotech series that will feature both old and new animation set during the Third Robotech War.

12. Leroy

Which is a complete joke a dub of Love Live Alive a thing that NOBODY is asking for.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The voice actor for Hikaru killed himself by jumping off a building. In his honor, Kawamori decided that the characters would never appear again.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's either that or nothing, but Harmony Gold felt that they could salvage the original Mospeda OVA and expand upon it. It may feature appearances of some characters or elements from the earlier Robotech Wars as well.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, that doesn't seem to stop people watching those properties that don't get released outside of Japan.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

This.^

As much as I love Robotech (warts and all) I'd rather they just let the franchise die or reboot it complete and get a solid firm with a good voice cast to port over the Macross spin-offs, especially Macross: Frontier.

As for Shadow Chronicles, it could be worse, we could have gotten "Robotech Odyssey"

17. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

As a Battletech fan, all I really have to say is: fuck Harmony Gold. :p

18. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Shadow Chronicles sequel is officially "On hold so we can focus on the live action Robotech" is what they said, but since there's been zero word on that live action project either, I don't think that's getting done anytime soon either.

Yes, I agree with this as well. I would personally put Macross Frontier on par with the original. I also liked Macross II, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero as well, but to a far lesser extent. I could not stand Macross 7 at all, and gave up after a few episodes.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    The above comment just shows that you've NEVER seen any of the original versions of the THREE seperate series that were cobbeled together to make what the U.S. calls "Robotech"; NOR the hack re-writre they did to a completely unrelated OAV entitled "Megazone 23" that was hacked to bits to create "ROBOTECH: The Movie"

20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unrelated to much of the thread talk..but just wondering, could Robotech be shown again on broadcast / cable TV?

seems like it could be a good filler show for some station, and i would imagine much cheaper than making anything new.

it's scary to me to think that it's been nearly 30 years since it first hit US airwaves. Lots of time to create a whole new fanbase.