Which of the series/movies need to be remastered?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Maybe this question came up before, but I just need to know (and I'm afraid that I know the answer). Because of the recent hype to remaster every single second of STAR TREK, which series or movie really NEEDS to be redone? I just want to know what real Trek fans think ...

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ever since The Motion Picture came out on DVD, to my mind only The Final Frontier needed that kind of re-editing, new FX and reinstated material. Pretty much because to this day the theatrical print looks more like a rough cut shown to test audiences. Paramount should give Shatner a Director's Edition project to work on... keep him sweet, in the light of his non-involvement with Star Trek XI.

I can probably live with kind of HD upscaling I've seen the video age Trek broadcast in. Afterall, we're not talking about the kind of scratches and defects TOS suffered from. TNG/DS9/VOY have been converted to a digital format for quite a while now and most of the FX fit in fine with the movies.

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Animated Series might look a lot better as a CGI-work without endless stock footage, TWOK could afford to lose its extensive cribbing from TMP, GEN in its cribbing from TUC and even the TV series (!). TFF for reasons that are obvious, and the Mona Lisa could be made a mite more photorealistic. :)

4. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

Well, I'm one of those people who thinks that essentially every episode or film in Trek could benefit from remastering in one place or another (even if it is just to fix little things here and there). However, the only film that jumps out to me that *really* needs remastering is 'Generations' - I realize most of it is fine, but as Kegek said, the stock footage from TUC needs to go. Let's be honest though, some of the stuff in TOS movies is dated, so I'd remaster all of 'em.

As far as the series are concerned, I really do think TNG needs to be remastered. There are some BAD looking effects in the earlier seasons and there's still a lot of crap stuff in the latter seasons (the blob effect in 'Aquiel,' the ship flying out of the Dyson Sphere in 'Relics,' etc.)

Remastering the movies shouldn't be a problem - they could do like Star Wars did and release both the theatrical and remastered versions in the same case.

Someone probably needs to do a poll to determine how many people would buy TNG Remastered.

5. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I voted for all of them except the Mona Lisa, but she could have a better smile.

Each series has its moments of inconsistent special effects some little some big. Like the reversed print in TOS, or the phaser from the torpedo launcher, or obviously reused battle scenes or the Bird of Prey being blown up the exact same way in two movies.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

All Trek TV series (other than Enterprise) must be remastered to make them airable in HD.

For TOS, it's because the original effects were badly degraded (and, in some instances, simply suck).

For TNG, DS9 and Voyager: All effects (and editing) were done on videotape, which - by definition - is not airable in HD, since the native resolution of videotape is so low.

For TAS: Just take a wild guess. :lol: Would you want animation that looks that bad to show up anywhere near HD? A full-out CGI remake of the show would be a sight to behold. And they could even use the same voice tracks.

Enterprise is the only Trek series made from the get-go to be airable in HD.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think that TNG, and the second 3 movies could use some new effects. Most of them were good for the time, but now that it as been 20 years they are starting to look dated. As for the other series, and movies I think they still stand up pretty well today. Although I did forget to mark Final Frontier, simply because it is one of my two least favorite Trek movies.

8. blakbyrd

blakbyrd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Original Series
    The Animated Series
    The Next Generation
    Deep Space Nine
    The Search for Spock
    The Voyage Home
    The Final Frontier

9. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

TNG. Start with the two-parters such as Encounter at Farpoint, Best of Both Worlds, Chain of Command, Unification, etc. Air them on Spike or the SciFi channel on Saturday nights. Then add the others and release them as an entire series boxed set.

10. Niemz

Niemz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TAS!

11. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

None of the series or films needs to be "remastered."

It will be interesting to see what happens when RHD (Really High-Definition :p) becomes the next great thing. Will shows which were "remastered" for HD need to be "re-remastered" for RHD?

12. Bones1864

Bones1864 Admiral

some parts of star trek 2 and some parts of star trek 5 adn definityl;y Star Trek 6. we should have had a few more shots of the Enterprise-A in that film.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

[​IMG]

At least I am not alone with my opinion! Thanks, Admiral.

Wish I could remaster those two sentences. :p

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Wrath of Khan could use some fixing. The Genesis proposal video is obviously quite dated, and the Genesis cave could use a more realistic matte painting.

15. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

Star Trek and The Next Generation scream "remaster me!". The original show had some god awful creatures that was so obviously people with masks and rugs on.(remember the creature in Devil in the Dark?). I know the special effects got updated, but unless some of those creatures got the CGI treatment I'll skip buying the remasterd episodes.

TNG could use a heavy dose of remastered as many others have pointed out already.

16. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

None do.

You want to make a beter Star Trek? Great. Move to Hollywood and pitch a new show.

17. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

Don't want to see your beloved holy grail tampered with? Great. Keep watching your DVDs or VHS tapes.

Whether you like it or not, it's going to happen. The original show is already getting remastered and TNG will be next.

18. mattwitz

mattwitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG. I would say that the original series needs remastering except that they're already doing that. The problem as I see it with TNG is that for someone like me who was introduced to TNG starting with the 4th or 5th season, the contrast between the quality of the effects in the 5th season and that in the 1st season are somewhat jarring.
    It wouldn't have been that bad if the show had had a unified look in terms of effects but the dramatic improvements of the later seasons should be applied to the earlier seasons. The later seasons are good, although they could use a few tweaks here and there.

I think it would be cool if they scanned the model of the enterprise-d and created a digital ship for the shots. That way they could show us some views of the enterprise that we never saw when it originally aired on tv.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

all of them need remastering to put in new alien ships and not 'the batris-painted a new colour, turned upside down and a few greeblies added' type model re-uses.

FFS, a Romulan scout ship appeared in VGR painted YELLOW!

also, more new footage in WYLB and less stock.

and more varied ships in TNG and not Excelsior-of-the-week...

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I didn't realize just how much they reused ship. I know they had a limited budget, but you'd think they could've spread it out for more new models. Even if they were less complicated, at least they would have been different.