the new "catch phrase"...umm...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by FreddyE, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

I always liked "Brilliant!" but I think that was more of an early on saying....

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Capaldi's

"Question. You take a broom. You replace the handle"

part

SOOOO Malcolm Tucker

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Yeah Allons-y came way late! And yeah they tend to use the former Doctor's catchphrase in the first episode to remind the companion that he IS still the same Doctor... sort of.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it'd be cool if Capaldi had no catchphrase, does he really need one?

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I kinda like "The question is..." It can be used in so many different circumstances, many of which naturally come up when you're the Doctor.

It reminds me a bit of Colin Baker, who didn't have a catch-phrase per-se but did do this recurring thing where Peri would say something and then he would repeat one of the words that she said multiple times with increasing incredulity. Example:
    "Is that bad?"
    "Bad? Bad?! BAD!?!"

IIRC, the first use of "Allons-y" was at the end of Season 2 in "Army of Ghosts." But after that, I don't think he used it again until "Voyage of the Damned" over a year later. It didn't really become a catch-phrase until Season 4.

Oddly enough, I was using "Fantastic" quite a bit before Christopher Eccleston. (I was trying to say it like how David Warner said it in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II.) I stopped once Eccleston started hogging it. :(

6. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

7. The Borgified Corpse

Yeah, honestly, "Bowties are cool" caught on a lot better than "Geronimo." I suppose it's because "Geronimo" felt like a forced catchphrase while "Bowties are cool" just kinda naturally defined the character.

Then there was Matt Smith's single episode catchphrase from "The Curse of the Black Spot": "Disregard all of my theories up until now." (Also would've worked really well in "The God Complex" & "Hide" but I don't think he used it there.)

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always loved the "Oh you're beautiful" phrase, usually uttered in the presence of a deadly creature. It sounds so Doctor-ish.

9. The Borgified Corpse

^Yeah, especially in "Vincent & the Doctor." "Oh, you poor, murderous, marooned thing." (Or something like that.)

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

He does that fairly often in the scripts, or at least in Moffat scripts.

11. beneldon

beneldon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Catch phrases should come about naturally. Geronimo was just stupid because the writers figured 11 had to have one. It reminded me of the Jim Carrey film Bruce Almighty when Bruce would say, "B, E, A, utiful" almost as if the writers decided, okay, Jim's used "allrighty then" so we need a new one.

Other than "Shut-up" I also heard -and really liked - was Capaldi uttering an "ooooohhh" noise when he had an insight especially when he discovered his Scottishness.

12. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or Liem Neeson

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see it that way. It's the Doctor who thought he had to have one. He probably thought it sounded cool, but everyone felt it was a little embarrassing. That's the eleventh Doctor in a nutshell.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was Matt Smith who thought up Geronimo and inserted into episodes against Moffat's wishes until Moffat relented and began writing it in.

15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

'Insert thing here..is cool' and bow ties, and fezzes, caught on a lot more amongst fandom, than 'Geronimo' ever did

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thats interesting, because I always assumed it was a Moffat line, mainly down to a certain joke that revolved around the word in an early episode of Coupling :)