Uniforms from Enterprise to TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JJohnson, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering if anyone had an idea, either canon or conjectural, of what the Starfleet uniforms looked like between 2160 and 2254. We saw Pike's Enterprise with the gold, beige, and blue uniforms, but what were they like before then?

I'm working on a new timeline of Trek, and would like to bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS, both ship-wise, technology-wise, and species-wise. This will involve altering some of Enterprise to remove continuity errors (Ferengi, for one).

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They looked like this in 2233

[​IMG]

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

THIS is the Starfleet uniform of the 2160's, according to the Enterprise: Rise of the Federation novel series.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

We see slightly updated ENT Starfleet uniforms in TATV in 2161. From there, we don't see a canon uniform until the Kelvin's crew in 2233. As for non-canon sources, all I know is the link King Daniel posted from the novelverse.

5. F. King Daniel

Almost forget, here is FASA's old version of an early Federation uniform, from their The Romulan War booklet:
    [​IMG]

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^I love everything about that uniform except for the Imperial/Nazi pants.

7. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    I love that the guy has an impossibly long neck. Or, he's been wearing those neck ring things that some African women wear that push the ribcage down.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am in the minority but I am uncertain the Kelvin uniforms in the JJverse are the same as in the Prime one

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Christopher's uniform quite a bit. His way of squaring the circle of the different service patches relative to canon is approaching the best that can be done, most likely. All that's missing are the other patches, namely the IAMD Defiant patch, the starbase flower, and the BoT/"Arena" outpost seashell; maybe they came later. The only quibble I have about his uniform is that it seems on the dressy side, but certainly that's not a show-stopper (just look at the TWOK uniforms).

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't they be? The Kelvin and her crew existed before Nero's incursion, hence in the Prime Universe.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What's there to be uncertain about?

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have to agree.

But I believe that the so-called prime universe we saw in NuTrek is the genuine Prime Universe that proper Trek is set in. But that's my view.

13. F. King Daniel

I love that the 2233 Kelvin uniforms retroactively make the "All Good Things"/"Endgame" et al future TNG uniforms into a kind of throwback design - Starfleet going back to their classic look, with some 'updates' (TNG colour scheme, baggy design, slightly different insignia). The EMH in "Endgame" looks like he's doing a bad Captain Robau cosplay!

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The Kelvin was only seen in the JJverse and there could be changes in the past due how the temporal war players may have changed(as an example).

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But why would you even think this to begin with? Would you be thinking this if, say, the Kelvin bridge looked just like the TOS Enterprise bridge from "The Cage," and the uniforms looked like "The Cage" uniforms?

The "JJverse" started when Nero came back through time and changed things. Before he did that, the universe was the same as the prime TOS universe. That's what Kurtzman and Orci stated, and that's good enough for me. YMMV.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 'Temporal Cold War' occurred as part of the 'Prime' Universe. (Hell, if you want to go that route - IE that the timeline changed, you could also make a case that EVERYTHING after the TNG film 'Star Trek: First Contact' was in a different 'altered' timeline from the 'original Prime' Star Trek universe as well.)

But, assuming the Prime Universe consisted of what was shown on TV and film from 1966 - 2002 (ST:Nemisis):

The U.S.S. Kelvin was there AT THE POINT Nero emerged (and the 'Prime' timeline changed from the point of Nero's incursion forward); BUT, up to the point of the 'lightning storm' what was shown WAS indeed in the 'Prime' Star Trek Universe; therefore, those indeed are the ship designs and Star Fleet uniforms on the 2230's.

17. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

Only if you place stock in the idea that that was the original universe from the get-go. I can't do it. Totally alternate through & through. No Kelvin, no ugly uniforms for me.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well if that's the case, then this topic is going to get a whole lot more complicated than just chatting about uniforms ;)

19. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It helps to just assume that everyone else involved in these..."discussions"...are chasing dragons on some sort of far-flung laudanum high, & that the attendant belief in funky blue unis & 400-meter "survey ships" is simply a form of shared hallucinate. It's a pretty easy position to sustain, as I see little to discourage me otherwise.

20. F. King Daniel

Eh, it's no different to fans in the 80's refusing to accept the changes made in TMP and WoK, and claiming they too were alternate universes to TOS. TMP was 2.5 years after the end of TOS, the Kelvin is 34 years before - far more room for a plausible total visual change.