Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Go_Busters was a flop, it was unpopular and the toys sold like crap, Bandai and Toei like making money so they probably more than fine with bringing a popular toyline to the west earlier.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Hit it on the head.

Synopsis

Confirmation from the official Power Rangers Facebook page

[​IMG]

Bounty hunter eh? Sounds different from Kyoryuger which some people will like

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a plausible explanation... but every previous Super Sentai season from Zyuranger onward has been adapted for Power Rangers, with none of them skipped (although Dairanger and Kakuranger were only partially adapted). So did Go-Busters perform notably worse than the preceding 20 seasons inclusive? Or is there some other factor behind the decision?

Maybe it's a mix of reasons. Maybe the producers on one or both sides of the Pacific were unhappy with PR being two years behind SS instead of just one, so they wanted to catch up, and when an unpopular Sentai season happened, they decided that was their opportunity. The next one being dinosaur-themed could've been an additional incentive. So maybe kind of a "perfect storm" of factors.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Fury Diamond of RangerCrew/Megaforce Cast, Go-Buster footage will be used in Dino Charge in some fashion.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Saban is in charge again.

Not too excited about Dino Thunder making a return. Looking forward to the train themed rangers, unless they skip that too.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Aside from Dinosaurs, it has nothing to do with Dino Thunder.

Terrible ratings and terrible toy sales. Bandai absolutely hated the show and scapegoated it for the failure of the toyline. Kyoryuger is considerd by them the best selling toyline since Gaoranger/Wildforce.

7. Christopher

I'd be happy if they did tie it into Dino Thunder in some way, since that was one of my favorite Disney seasons. And getting to see Emma Lahana again would be lovely. And maybe they could bring back Jason Frank too in some capacity. It would be fitting if the three dinosaur-themed series had a common thread. (Or I should say "dinosaur"-themed, since only two of the five "DinoZords" were actually based on dinosaurs, the T. rex and the triceratops. The others were a pterosaur -- related but distinct -- and two Pleistocene mammals.)

Which, of course, is not an unprecedented situation. Did Go-Busters do notably worse than the 9-10 consecutive seasons of Super Sentai that were adapted when Saban was in charge the first time?

Come to think of it, though, the situation was materially different in one way back then. At the time, they were only one season behind; if they'd skipped a season, they would've had to run concurrently with the corresponding Sentai, and that wouldn't work because presumably SS would've still needed the costumes and props and it would've been more expensive for PR to duplicate everything -- not to mention the full range of stock footage they needed might not have been available. So up until the past few years, they simply didn't have the option of skipping a season (or folding two seasons into one). That must be the deciding difference -- it just wasn't possible before. And of the series they've adapted since Saban took over again, Go-Busters must be the first one that did poorly enough to skip/subordinate. Yeah, that makes sense.

8. Samurai8472

I'm wondering how saban will deal with Kyoryuger VS Go-buster. He can technically BUY the VS movie but the Go-busters are in it.

In an odd addition all 3 dino teams will crowd the movie too.

Toei must really think Go-buster's can't succeed on it's own with Kyoryuger so they add the dino element into the VS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, Geki(TyrannoRanger) is using the new Legacy morpher toy.

9. Christopher

Well, they did say above that there would be some Go-Busters footage incorporated. Maybe it'll be like the Alien Rangers, an alternate Ranger team alongside the Dino Charge Rangers.

In fact, I think I read that the Go-Busters storyline involves an alternate-timeline Go-Busters team that interacts with the main one. Maybe DC will go the alternate-timeline route too, and use the Go-Busters costumes as the alternate Rangers.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

maybe this will help Christopher.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2014/02...gs-for-kamen-rider-and-super-sentai-released/

11. Christopher

^Let me clarify: I do understand why the decision is being made now. That's not hard to figure out. What I'm trying to reason out here is why the decision was never made before in the previous 20-odd years of the franchise. What factor exists now that didn't exist at any other time since 1993? Because I can't believe no prior Super Sentai season has ever done unusually poorly or unusually well over the course of two-plus decades. The clearest difference, as I said, is that Power Rangers was never more than one season behind SS until the past few years, so they never had the opportunity to skip a season before. It's like they say in crime shows -- you need both motive and opportunity.

12. DigificWriter

^ It seems that Saban was able to renegotiate their contract with Toei, which previously didn't allow them to skip seasons, possibly with some help/pressure from Bandai.

13. Christopher

^Okay, that would explain it, then. Although, as I said, I'm not sure skipping seasons would've been possible when they were only one year behind.

Hmm, unless they'd wanted to go back and use footage from an earlier Sentai season. No reason that couldn't have worked. Theoretically they had fifteen to choose from, though they probably would've wanted to stick to more recent ones like Turboranger, Fiveman, or Jetman.

Hey, does anyone else remember that MMPR was not the first attempt at an American Sentai adaptation? In 1987, the USA network aired six episodes of Dynaman with comedy dialogue dubbed over the footage. I actually caught a bit of that at the time, but when Power Rangers later came along, it was years before I discovered they were based on the same franchise. (Then of course there's Voltron, which is based on Toei's animated sort-of-spinoffs of the Sentai franchise.)

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They never were two shows behind the original sentai versions during the Saban and Disney era. And none of the sentai shows since the Nick era did as badly as Gobusters though Goseiger came very close.

They cannot. There was no effort to preserve the monster, robots and hero costumes during that era. It was I believe just put in a pile and salvaged for other costumes or left to time.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved Dynaman, coincidentally I was watching some today on Youtube. Did they show those outside of Night Flight? That's one of the shows I miss most these days (Night Flight) though Youtube now provides much of the same kind of material just not so conventiently packaged.

16. DigificWriter

17. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do they explain the transition from black to green?
    (Obvious I can't watch the video since it's region locked)

18. DigificWriter

^ It's not explained per se, but Jake does bring it up.

19. Christopher

Gosei: "Jake, there's a simple explanation for that..." (Villains attack) :lol:

Well, I only got as far as their transformation into "Super Mega" mode before my laptop decided it didn't want to render the picture clearly anymore, so I guess I'll have to wait to see the rest. It's a nice idea, showing a full-on alien invasion with the Rangers on the run, but they can't really show it, for budgetary and censorship reasons, so it's a little cursory. And it's rather undramatic that they just get the new power handed to them -- but I guess it has been set up all along, what with the figures along the walls. I liked the way they did it in the old days where one source of Ranger power was destroyed and they had to go to some effort to acquire a new one.

20. Samurai8472

[​IMG]

Well from promotional images the gun is still there. Maybe they'll point it into the sky.

They'll probably get rid of ALL the samba parts. Except for Carnival

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014