Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 30 2014, 08:49 PM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Sixth Doctor and the Brigadier

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I'd like to know when Kate was born. The Brigadier's wife was Doris, and in Battlefield it's implied that the marriage was fairly recent. I doubt that in their retirement years they would have become parents... so where did Kate come from? Was Doris her mother, or was she the Brigadier's daughter with some other woman?
I recently watched Battlefield and I didn't get the sense that it was a recent marriage. What made you think it was recent?

Although, you do have to wonder where she was during Mawdryn Undead! However, I think she was mentioned once back in the Pertwee years but never seen. ETA: I see Lonemagpie found the reference!

Mr Awe
Battlefield took place well after Mawdryn Undead, both from the Brigadier's pov and the Doctor's pov. In the latter story, the Brigadier was teaching math at the boys' school where Turlough had been stashed by his people during his exile. The Brigadier lived alone, no mention in either time zone (younger vs older Brigadier) that he was married. Therefore, I conclude that in Battlefield, the marriage was recent, likely occurring after the Brigadier finally retired from all work, not just U.N.I.T.

And since the marriage was so recent and the Brigadier and Doris were well up in years, Kate had to have either been illegitimate, adopted, or the Brigadier and Doris had a previous marriage.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Not 100% sure, but the Brigadier is married during the Pertwee era, and this is the marriage with Kate as the daughter. Doris is actually mentioned in Planet of the Spiders as a sort of ex-girlfriend by the psychic, but between Mawdryn/Five Doctors and Battlefield he marries again, this time to Doris. So I think he got divorced, and remarried an old flame so to speak. Also I think he is widowed before his death (I haven't seen the SJA story yet though).
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Timewalker

It's been a long time since I've seen any Pertwee stories. Which one mentioned him being married?

Old July 30 2014, 10:04 PM   #19
Lonemagpie
Writer

It's been a long time since I've seen any Pertwee stories. Which one mentioned him being married?
None - Planet of the Spiders mentions Doris, but no mention is made of marriage. There's also a scene cut from The Daemons in which a female hand passed him the phone in bed, but again no mention of marriage (which is partly why they cut it).

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 01:20 AM   #20
diankra
Commodore

It's just an assumption by Nick Courtney and then fandom and some books that he had a first marriage that. broke up under the pressures after The Web of Fear took his army career in an unconventional direction.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:00 AM   #21
Timewalker

It would explain Kate's existence, though, because otherwise she came out of nowhere.

Old July 31 2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Kate Stewart first appears in the direct-to-video Downtime, which makes it pretty clear that the Brigadier has not been the greatest of fathers. And yes, she is from a pre-Doris marriage that did not go well: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kate_Stewart

According to The Shadows of Avalon, Doris is dead by the time of the novel (2012), in a boating accident. The last references to her being alive seem to be in Enemy of the Bane (2009) and Happy Endings (2010). There is a Short Trip, though, that hints that the Doctor may have altered that fate.
Old July 31 2014, 03:55 PM   #23
diankra
Commodore

As a side note, Doris was scripted to appear in The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, until Nicholas Courtney's illness meant the script had to be rewritten to drop the Lethbridge-Stewarts.
Old August 1 2014, 09:14 PM   #24
ClayinCA
Commodore

So we missed Tennant and the Brig by that much? Oh, the pain....
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 10:00 PM   #25
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Not getting the Brig into nuWho was a huge mistake. Almost unforgiveable. Should've made all efforts to do that while he was in better health.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 10:10 PM   #26
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
You're refering to Yellow Fever, right? That was to be Robert Holmes' third Autons story.
Wait, that was the name of the story? Oh geeze. *facepalm*

^ Not getting the Brig into nuWho was a huge mistake. Almost unforgiveable. Should've made all efforts to do that while he was in better health.

Mr Awe
Yeah, nuWho made it abundantly clear that they'll try to use as much of the classic series as possible, which is fine. But I strongly suspect that they missed out on their chance simply because they just kind of took Courtney for granted. "We'll do it next year. We'll do it next year." etc. etc. And then boom, he's gone.
Old August 1 2014, 11:47 PM   #27
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I recently watched Battlefield and I didn't get the sense that it was a recent marriage. What made you think it was recent?
BRIGADIER: I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. He's all yours from now on. I'm going home to Doris.
DOCTOR: Doris?
BRIGADIER: Yes, my wife.
DOCTOR: Ha, ha, ha. So she caught you in the end.

It would explain Kate's existence, though, because otherwise she came out of nowhere.
It's funny you say that, since in a sense she did come out of nowhere.

Unless the new series gave Marc Platt royalty payments as writer of Downtime - she was never a BBC character. So she appears to exist in a grey copyright area.

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
Tennant met the Brig, the Tenth Doctor didn't. David played an army rival of the Brig's in the Unbound (non cannon) Doctor Who audio - Sympathy For The Devil.

David even went to Nick's funeral.

Last edited by Rarewolf; August 2 2014 at 12:19 AM.
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 01:24 AM   #28
diankra
Commodore

Not only that, but we lost the Brig and K9. DWM printed some of the unused script, and it's basically a nice rehash of the Sarah/Rose jealousy in School Reunion. Quotes from memory, not check-up...

Brig: Knowing what the Doctor thinks about computers, I can't understand why he'd see the point in a robot dog...
K9: Analysing records, confirming results. Knowing the Doctor-Master's opinion of the military, I cannot understand why he would see the point of you.
Brig: Touche.

Of course, they then bond, so at the end the Brig leans across to the Doctor and asks if he's got a spare K-9 that he could have...
Old August 2 2014, 03:27 AM   #29
Timewalker

diankra wrote: View Post
Not only that, but we lost the Brig and K9. DWM printed some of the unused script, and it's basically a nice rehash of the Sarah/Rose jealousy in School Reunion. Quotes from memory, not check-up...

Brig: Knowing what the Doctor thinks about computers, I can't understand why he'd see the point in a robot dog...
K9: Analysing records, confirming results. Knowing the Doctor-Master's opinion of the military, I cannot understand why he would see the point of you.
Brig: Touche.

Of course, they then bond, so at the end the Brig leans across to the Doctor and asks if he's got a spare K-9 that he could have...
Ooh, that's the snarkiest thing K-9 ever said!

He's right, though.