Twisted

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hux, Jan 13, 2013.

1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this is a somewhat pedantic question but in Twisted why didn't all the crew end up in Sandrines - the anomaly was closing in and pushing everyone into the centre of the ship so why the hell weren't there any other crew members going there......did they all just see the weird wobbly thing coming towards them and think,..."ah screw it, i'll just stay here and carry on doing what i'm doing and let it pass over me....i'm sure it's nothing".....the bridge crew went to engineering, the dining area, the jeffries tubes, walked around the ship and slowly got pushed to the centre.....so where the hell were the rest of the crew.....just standing around, getting on with work, taking a dump, happy to let the unknown anomaly wash over them as they went about their business

Also, this is the episode where Neelix comes across as a psychotic boyfriend, ready to violently beat Kes at any given moment because she knew where other crew members quarters were - he actually came across as a very deeply disturbed individual.....comic relief my arse

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was an alien probe, not an anomaly.

The effect scanned the shit out of Voyager, read all it's databases, and every ones diary, and then dumped a bunch of new information they assumed was fair trade which Janeway might find useful, before wandering off leaving Voyager and her crew none the worse.

Neelix thought his girl friend who wouldn't frakk him was frakking other guys.

There are levels to being cool.

When a girl says that she's not into sex, that can be fine, but when she says that she isn't into sex but what she really means is that she's not into sex with you specifically despite using you constantly to open pickle jars and kill spiders, the relationship is one sided and confusing because you brought your ticket for the ride and everyone is pushing in front of you in the queue.

It's just not fair.

No I didn't say that all a woman can offer to a relationship is sex, because she didn't offer sex and he stayed.

Touchy, touchy.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'd say it makes about as much sense as there just happening to be exactly one version of each person in Shattered.

4. hux

It was an anomaly for the first 40 minutes and then an alien probe for the last 5

and one that strangely only seemed to effect the bridge crew even though it was happening ship wide - you'd think they could hire a few extras to turn up for those types of episodes - makes it a little less hokey

that was an episode that could just about justify only the main crew being involved since it didn't absolutely require other crew for it to be consistent but twisted was about the whole ship being effected and everyone being pushed to the centre of the ship.....how much does the average extra cost (you could probably make 5 Neelix episodes for the price of 50 extras)

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Neelix comes across as petty in a lot of ways. He is literally shown stalking Kes in Parturition for example, so one more example of his jealous streak is hardly new.

Twisted though, the whole episode just.... doesn't make sense so small things like the rest of the crew apparently just twiddling their thumbs is really the icing on the crap cake. Heck, that Mortimer guy from Good Sheppard... I could definitely see him just saying... "Oh great they flew into -another- anomaly... well I'm just going to stay here and hope they don't get me killed.. if I'm lucky they'll die and I'll live."

6. Guy Gardener

The main cast got paid the same no matter how little or much they did as long as they got on camera for a few seconds, and they were only ever not on camera because they were being punished like Wang for being frakk or they were shooting out babies like Roxanne.

It was weird watching the final seasons of Smallville where the so called main cast, except Welling, were mostly part timers, where they were only contracted to appear for quarter to half a season rather than like on Voyager where it becomes unwieldy as everyone has to get a random moment of face time to justify their 30 grand.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

And yet, Shattered had a dozen or so extras/guests.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Torres did run into a 2-episode character (Baxter) who was wandering the corridors trying to find a way out. The cost of the CGI anomaly effects might have been too costly for having many non-dialogue extras, especially if they had to be fed.

9. Guy Gardener

Baxter. A little person. IMDB says 3 episodes and a return as a minor villain alien in Workforce.

Is it possible that the Viddians sold Baxter's face to the Workforce people?

10. hux

And even he didn't end up at Sandrines....i think he was told by Kim to stay at his post or something but if a weird wobbly thing came towards you, surely you'd move away....i mean after all, that's what all the bridge crew did (so maybe the bridge crew were cowards and the rest of the ship was manned by a braver class of Star fleet graduate?....manning their stations as the anomaly came towards them, thinking....those bridge crew are such pussies)

:rommie: wasn't Baxter the one that Janeway thought would leave in 37's cos he was adventurous - maybe he did leave after finding out how cowardly the bridge crew were in twisted

11. Guy Gardener

A Vidiian cut his face off and wore it as a sex aide in episode 12, shortly before the 37s.

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Realy??
    I'm must have mist that episode.;)

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Even Neelix gave up complaining about anamolies.

14. Guy Gardener

It's hardly anomalous if they bumped into 3 a month.

15. Melakon

I actually liked Twisted when I first saw it, due to its weirdassness.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I save myself the trouble of dealing with questions like these by saying to myself "It's fiction" and then I watch it until the next episode comes up.:shrug:

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They didn't wonder about rationalizing the probe's effects because this was a character driven episode. It's all about how the main characters face death. As long as the show isn't actually terminated, then any nonsense the probe does is all good so long as it's cool. Extras are not wanted because they are a distraction from the regulars. And most of the plotting is aimed at getting the key characters into Sandrine's so we can see how they react at the end.

18. hux

Just watched this again and it still bothers me that only the bridge crew gave a damn and moved away from the anomaly to Sandrines. I mean seriously.....it's just silly....the only real explanation is that the rest of the crew just have bigger balls...those guys in the mess saw the weird wobbly thing coming towards them and just thought....meh....carried on chatting and drinking their tea (hey, we see this kind of crap everyday, just ignore it, i'm sure it'll go away)

Even Neelix got sick of running away from it and decided to just bugger off into the anomaly in the end (then at the end of the episode when asked what happened to him he says...."it's a long story"......i wish he'd said...."i just grew a pair")

Twisted is actually one of my favourite episodes. It basically has the one element that made me love the show more than the other Trek shows. Namely, the fact that the entire crew is together on the ship and there are no planets being visited, no aliens, no communicating with earth....just our little Voyager family, lost in space on a luxury ship where odds thing occur....i like those ones

I also liked the tension between Chakotay and Tuvok

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Melakon

Wow, almost two years and you resurrect this thread? Well, at least we're both still around. ;)

I've watched it many times since getting Season 2 a few weeks ago. Those in the crew not already in Sandrine's were told (if encountered) to stay in the Mess Hall or Engineering or wherever when they found those places. They probably went through the anomaly before anyone in the holodeck did.

20. hux

I'm re-watching Voyager so i'll be posting a lot over the next couple of months or bumping old ones that still interest me before disappearing for another year (that's my MO and i'm sticking to it)

We only saw Baxter being encountered though so there must have been plenty of people wandering around getting lost like the bridge crew. If just 3 or 4 extras could have been at Sandrines too that would have made so much more sense (i think we saw extras in the mess.....why not just use them)

Oh and how did Ayala (whom Tuvok left in charge on the bridge) get to be a lieutenant before Harry...was he in Starfleet previously