RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,404
Posts: 5,505,881
Members: 25,127
Currently online: 566
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

Melakon wrote: View Post
Were those uniform patterns in the Technical Manual good enough to make an actual costume from? I never owned one of the commercial uniforms, the closest I got was when my ex gave me a contemporary velour shirt for Christmas. It was very comfortable, but could get hot.
Well, most of the people in our club were also in the local Society for Creative Anachronism, so they were experienced costumers. I can't sew clothing to save my life (I can only do basic hand-sewing and I'm literally scared of sewing machines), but a couple of others were able to draft patterns and make the outfits. I don't remember what fabric we used, but it definitely wasn't velour.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

I would think velour would get hot because it doesn't breathe well.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
mb22
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

Also, there is this and this.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
FJ's influence on the Trekverse is immense. Every time you see the Federation flag, you're looking at a blatant rip-off of his design, changed just enough to avoid having to pay royalties.
Rather looks to me that both Franz Joseph and Paramount should have paid royalties to the United Nations, which served as an inspiration for both.



Bob
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 09:26 PM   #19
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
FJ's influence on the Trekverse is immense. Every time you see the Federation flag, you're looking at a blatant rip-off of his design, changed just enough to avoid having to pay royalties.
Rather looks to me that both Franz Joseph and Paramount should have paid royalties to the United Nations, which served as an inspiration for both.



Bob
FJ also inspired generations of Trek designs, from the Freedom and Jupp classes of TNG and DS9, to the three-nacelled Enterprise in the TNG. finale, to the USS Kelvin and Spacedock from the latest movies. Perhaps even the idea of a Federation Dreadnought.
Melakon wrote: View Post
Were those uniform patterns in the Technical Manual good enough to make an actual costume from? I never owned one of the commercial uniforms, the closest I got was when my ex gave me a contemporary velour shirt for Christmas. It was very comfortable, but could get hot.
IIRC, they were created by Franz' daughter Karen, for cosplaying with her friends. A couple of pics and lots of Tech Manual backstory in this interview here: http://www.trekplace.com/fj-kdint01.html
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 10:48 PM   #20
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

I always thought it was cool how his work was written from an in-universe perspective. When I was younger I didn't realize the inconsistencies that existed between the sets and what FJ interpreted but his work was certainly inspirational and interesting.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
FJ also inspired generations of Trek designs, from the Freedom and Jupp classes of TNG and DS9, to the three-nacelled Enterprise in the TNG. finale, to the USS Kelvin and Spacedock from the latest movies. Perhaps even the idea of a Federation Dreadnought.
First, of all, I want to add that if anybody had been "ripped off" it had been Walter Matt Jefferies. The essential appeal and success of Franz Joseph's works is owed to the designs of Matt Jefferies.

Franz Joseph, Ballantine Books and Paramount Pictures had their shares of the profit, Matt Jefferies didn't.

Same with the "inspiration" you just brought up. The essential starship design was created by Matt Jefferies and all subsequent designs, especially those of Franz Joseph, were inspired by Matt Jefferies and derived from his vision.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 12:48 PM   #22
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
FJ also inspired generations of Trek designs, from the Freedom and Jupp classes of TNG and DS9, to the three-nacelled Enterprise in the TNG. finale, to the USS Kelvin and Spacedock from the latest movies. Perhaps even the idea of a Federation Dreadnought.
First, of all, I want to add that if anybody had been "ripped off" it had been Walter Matt Jefferies. The essential appeal and success of Franz Joseph's works is owed to the designs of Matt Jefferies.

Franz Joseph, Ballantine Books and Paramount Pictures had their shares of the profit, Matt Jefferies didn't.

Same with the "inspiration" you just brought up. The essential starship design was created by Matt Jefferies and all subsequent designs, especially those of Franz Joseph, were inspired by Matt Jefferies and derived from his vision.

Bob
Yes, this is essentially true, but.unfortunately Matt Jefferies (due to circumstance) wasn't the one who fleshed out his designs in an organized format (though I wish he had) for the market.

Despite the inconsistencies with what we could see onscreen FJ's "fleshing out" of the Trek universe in general and Jefferies' designs in particular, and the polished way they were presented, was inspirational. People got the idea that someone took their interests seriously enough to put some real thought and effort into it.

For the individual fan (speaking for myself) it was a clear signal I wasn't alone in being interested in this kind of materiel and that a lot of others were as well.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:28 PM   #23
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
For the individual fan (speaking for myself) it was a clear signal I wasn't alone in being interested in this kind of materiel and that a lot of others were as well.
Those were the days. I remember searching everywhere for new novels, blueprints those Mego figures and anything else I could find. Even as a young lad I was thrilled so much attention was being given to a series that was only in re-runs and a new animated series.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: FJ's significance then and now...

FJ! LOL
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.