Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by FalTorPan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

One of the biggest events we've had in our Washington, D.C., area club was inviting an artist to do caricatures of us as our Trek selves. I was in the Trek II-VI captain's uniform, and we had a few Klingons and Bajorans as well. It cost more than $150, but when you count in how many drawings he did, it was a bargain and fun to boot.:vulcan:

If you want to see them, go to www.usschesapeake.org website and click on the button about caricatures.:bolian:

We were also lucky in that the artist was a huge Trek fan, and he offered to come back and either a new drawing or color in the ones he'd done in black and white. Of course, we had to pay him to visit again, but it was a great success.:cardie:

Just something to keep in mind while you're at the county fairs and see someone who does nice drawings. The worst they can do is say "No.":klingon:

2. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good point Randy! I like the artwork your artist did. Not quite TAS style, but not everyone is into that.

I hope everyone has had a chance to look at Kail's promo: [COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMm_89REvPQ[/COLOR]

Also, for those with a bit of money to spend, we would certainly be willing to animate those for folks in the TAS style as well. I can always be contacted here for that service.

3. NEO f/x

Everyone,

With Monday here I wanted to give everyone an update. We are still on track to release the 3rd and final act of Power Source next week. There is a slight chance it could be released this week, but we want to fine tune everything, so I won't set any expectations outside of sometime next week.

For those of you attending DragonCon this year, Power Source will be presented there in its entirety, along with a trailer for the next episode...The Needs of the Many. The trailer will also be online around that same time. We are heavy into the production of that episode, and still expect it to be released before the end of the year.

Stay tuned...

4. NEO f/x

Everyone...Act 3 (the final act) of "Power Source" will be out tomorrow!!! I appreciate all of the patience the fans have had with this release.

Now, for a bit of house keepings about this episode and the next:

1) There have been some comments on some other boards with fans 'surprised' there was a swear word (hell) in Act 2. Just to be clear...while these are cartoons, they are aimed at fans that watched the original TAS back in the 70's. While a homage to the original episodes, they are written for today and for the Farragut crew. As such, I recommend screening it if there is a concern about the content BEFORE showing to your kids. Act 2 has the aforementioned "hell" in it, and Act 3 has two instances of "damn" in it...One to describe that 'damned planet', and one as an expression of anger. I am all for artistic license and free speech, but I am also making sure I do full disclosure of these words just so there are no surprises.

2) A full review of the episode can be found here: http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/reviews/power_source_1.htm
    Please note: Fred (the reviewer) makes a comment about the ending in this review, so if you want to be surprised, please read the review AFTER you have seen the whole episodes.

3) If you will be at DragonCon, the full episode will be shown there. In addition, it will be the first opportunity to see a trailer for "The Needs of the Many"...the next episode written by Jack Trevino and myself.

4) A shameless plug: If you enjoyed these episodes, get a TAS portrait of yourself from Kail's web site: startrekanimated.com, or order a T-shirt from our official site: http://farragut-animated.com/store.html

These episodes were very fun to make: I got to spend time with folks like Chris Doohan, Chase Masterson, Tim Russ and Lou Scheimer, and it gave NEO f/x an opportunity to have a small place in history by putting together our own fan-film. I hope everyone enjoys watching them as much as we had putting them together.

I will make an announcement here when we release Act 3.

5. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome! Looking forward to Act 3!

6. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

wow cool, tomorrow? Looking forward to it, thanks for keeping us posted.

7. NEO f/x

The files are going online now...if you can't wait for them to be posted, the YouTube videos are all ready.

Here, for those that want to catch up, the links to all of the videos:

Act 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNz06w9tN8

Act 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RcvgnQ8r8

A Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMm_89REvPQ

Act 3a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nr04F54NPg

Act 3b: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbknqEDBm30

Keep watching http://farragut-animated.com today for the downloadable files.**UPDATE: All files on http://farragut-animated.com are live!**

Thanks to everyone who has supported us on this project. We all appreciate it!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks guys...I really enjoyed this! I've been rewatching TAS with my 8-year old son of late, and this really fits in nicely. A few questions: Early on I remember there was going to be original music using some cues from TAS, but this music sounds like it is directly from the Filmation library. Did Mr. Scheimer give you guys access to the original music? Also, what character(s) did Mr. Scheimer voice?

Possible Spoilers below:

The spheres look reminiscent of the Borg spheres from First Contact. In fact, Capt. Carter makes reference to the "ultimate mission of first contact" in the closing line. Are we seeing, perhaps, the early stages of a Borg invasion?

Thanks,
    Rich

9. NEO f/x

I know it may disappoint a few fans that we don't have the 'actual' use for those devices...As they say at the end of the episode...it could be anything. And, the nice thing, is that any explanation that someone comes up with is as correct as the next person.

As for the music, the theme is brand new, but the cues within the episode are indeed original. And while Lou did give me permission to use them, it isn't actually his call (as he sold Filmation a LONG time ago). But the spirit of his permission was really what I was looking for.

For a while we did plan to us original music. However, as we moved along in the production, we realized there was a lot of nostalgia associated with not only the LOOK of Filmation cartoons, but the MUSIC as well..Even the composer agreed that it was the right thing to do to use the original music within the episode.

Thanks for the comments!

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I wanted to say, thank you for your work. I'm sure it will be enjoyed by thousands. I have added a link to your download page near the top of the first blog in my website.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a wonderful recreation of TAS. Congratulations.

12. NEO f/x

I appreciate everyone's comments...

We got an article on TrekMovie...you can find it here:http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/01/fan...d-farragut-releases-phase-ii-update-previews/

In addition, I have updated the main site (Farragut-Animated.com) with an updated version of Act 3. It appears a name was misspelled, so we updated it and posted the new version. I also updated the posting above for the YouTube video, but the latest version is here:

Act 3b: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbknqEDBm30

Again, if you are at DragonCon, come by and see the full version of Power Source, and also a sneak peek at The Needs of the Many.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  13. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was a good idea - nice to see some things stay mysterious - well done for resisting the urge to explain.

I also liked the constant eye changes and the dialog with the Doctor and the ensign.

14. NEO f/x

Thanks....I liken the end of this episode to Star Trek 4. While we had a big adventure and everything is now fine, we are still left with the question of what the probes (or in our case, globes) were actually for. Could be anything...and it opens the door to a LOT of imagination. As I said, anything you come up with is correct!

15. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Agreed. It's sure nice to have a fan production come out on time and still look professional. Good job, folks.

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting stuff. Is there a larger image of your ship anywhere?

17. NEO f/x

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's kind of funny that the review mentions the color mismatching on TAS where a sleeve appeared to be a different color than the shirt, of all things.

Just a factoid for those curious why this happens on a lot of cartoons: it usually isn't a coloring error at all, it's that no animation cel is 100% transparent, so that the same color on two different cels looks different because the one further down in the pile is dulled by the cells above it. At studios like Disney they mixed slightly different versions of the same color for different cel layers to minimize this (the deeper in the stack, the more bold the color).

Clearly, this isn't an issue on CG as used in the animated Farragut film. :)

19. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very nice work! I've been keeping up with your updates and appreciate the background information you share with us. The episode was very cool, and being a huge fan of Filmation, thought it was a nice homage. I read in that review there will be a second episode on the way, looking forward to it!

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My only real criticisms about "Power Source" are voice acting and script related. I'm forgiving of the acting as it's a fan film and mostly fan's playing actor. As to the script, the idea is intriguing, but it's just too wordy. The four minute briefing room scene and the following "pacing" scene have already been addressed, but what stuck out to me in later sequences was the lack of immediacy. For instance, the crew stand around the corridor of the Azreal discussing what to do next and then beam back, when they should have taken their captives back post haste and discussed next steps in the safety of their own transporter room. The ending scene is also a bit too protracted. I like what was being attempted, as in some mysteries remain mysteries, but it was too protracted a dénouement.

I mention these because they rob the story of dramatic tension. I hope the next episode addresses these issues. :)