Hawaii 5-0: The Second Season Begins!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Grace Park isn't going anywhere.

No one here sees where the Kono storyline is going from a mile away? This isn't exactly the deepest show on TV.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Park is a series regular this year. She isn't going anywhere. I bet the new character (who, currently, seems to be a needless addition*) has an extended guest run with the option to later be picked up as a regular (assuming, TPTB think the character works).

* Yes, I don't care for her just quite yet. I think the biggest problem I have is that she was haphazardly introduced in the show with a purpose that is very ill-defined and portrayed. Apparently the new governor wants her to provide some sort of oversight to the Five-O team. That's not a bad idea in itself as it can create some good conflict.

Where I have problems is that she didn't want the position let alone know that she was going to be assigned it until a minute beforehand. She then continued to protest it. What kind of good, honest oversight can she possibly provide for a position that she was dumped into that she didn't know existed nor want?

It seems like the writers were juggling with two concepts and just decided to smash them together.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they announced a few months back that Grace Park was leaving, and that they were bringing in a new female character to replace her.

4. Broccoli

5. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I wasn't crazy about the third episode, but I really liked last night's ep. I like stuff where they delve into Hawaiian history/culture--I had no idea about the special currency printed during WWII!

Subtlety is not this show's strong suit. I knew as soon as Steve started asking Joe about getting an answer back from the DOD about the tape that Joe either hadn't sent it or was hiding the answer. I wonder if Joe knows more than he's letting on--I hope so. Much as I like Terry O'Quinn, Joe could use a little depth as a character.

Also not subtle is Kono's undercover mission. If I have to see her pout and glare like a teenager at Chin one more time, I'm going to throw something at my TV. I did like that Chin's response at the end was simply, I'm going to be here for you, as opposed to chewing her out like I was expecting. From the preview, it looks like things will come to a head next week.

Steve always gets so pissy when Danno flirts on the job. :lol: And yet, it's okay for Steve to take a detour and leave Danno sitting in the car so he can see his hook up buddy? Steve's double standards never cease to amuse me. It makes the character more human I think.

I think it's a good thing for Danno that he's moving on from Rachel, but I wish they wouldn't just drop that storyline. I miss seeing Danno interact with Grace, and also, I want to see the tension between Danno and Rachel now that she's back with Stan and carrying Stan's kid. I feel really bad for Danno--the poor guy just wants his family back.

I liked Lori's compassion for the mother--that would be a really hard situation to be in. Overall, I really liked this ep! Did anyone else watch?

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of Steve's hookup buddy - wondered if her TDY was due to her perhaps stepping on toes doing the stuff for McGarrett or just one of those military things that happen.

7. Broccoli

Two things:

1) I really don't like Generic Blond Cop. One of the things that I loved about the first season is that each of the characters/actors are believable in their respective roles. For whatever reason, she isn't. Making the matter worse is that her character isn't interesting.

2) Even more of an issue: Where is Danny's tie?? :lol:

I think it was just Steve giving Danny more of a hard time than anything else especially since Danny always seems to chide Steve about playing by the rules.

8. Top41

Oooh, I didn't think of that, but that does make a lot of sense--and would imply that Joe's intentions might be more nefarious than simply protecting Steve and his family's reputation.

I'm on the fence about her. I liked her in her first episode, but she hasn't really distinguished herself since. I think she's kind of inoffensive so far, but I don't see anything really special either. BUT--there's nothing more annoying than a new person coming in and having all the answers/being super cop, so I do like that they haven't gone that route with her.

I miss that, too! He was so cute with the ties, and I love how much it bothered Steve that he wore them. I thought it was funny that in the premiere, Steve is sitting in jail and the fact that Danny isn't wearing a tie makes him smile and elicits a comment.

Oh yeah--in the car, definitely. But he seemed annoyed in the museum itself, and in the past he's told Danny to "focus" (that's always his word) whenever some pretty girl catches Danny's eye. I like little character continuity bits like that.

9. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of wondered about that too. As far as the series? I haven't missed a single minute since episode 1. Hawaii 5-0 is my only 'must see' currently on tv. I just love the way it has been written and acted. And the nods to the original have been great.

10. Top41

^It's my current fav, too--it's just so much fun. I just enjoy the hell out of it. I think it's the characters--I really like them and their interactions. Love, love, love the banter between Steve and Danno.

11. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

Couldn't agree more. I also love the interplay with the supporting cast. Especially Max (the Trekkie ;)) and Kamekona.

12. Top41

^The supporting characters are great fun. Kamekona is probably my favorite, though Max definitely cracks me up.

I really enjoyed last night's episode! The carguments are definitely my favorite, and I love that we got Danny bitching about the ritzy houses. Danny's just funny when he bitches.

No surprise that Kono was working undercover--I wonder if she'll get her badge back now? It doesn't really resolve the issue of why she lost it in the first place, but given that the missing money was replaced by the governor, they probably don't have a crime to charge her with. I wonder if, like Chin was, she'll be regarded with suspicion and distrust by people outside of 5-0.

I'm really glad Chin is getting back together with his ex. Reiko Aylesworth rocks, so I'm excited to see her on the show, and they make a really cute couple.

I wonder if Lori is just curious about Steve, or if she's crushing on him. He is pretty hot--it would be hard to blame her! That scene with Chin was hilariously awkward.

This was a fun one.

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the tie is just a sign that Danno is no longer a Jersey cop but has now accepted Hawaii and 5-0 as his home. I wonder if he will out on a Newark PD uniform if he has to go to a cop's funeral again.

14. Top41

I agree, and I love how happy it makes Steve. It always cracked me up last season when he'd get on Danny's case about the tie. His smile in jail in the premiere when he saw it was gone was pretty cute.

Was he wearing a Newark PD uniform or a Hawaii one when he went to Meka's funeral in season one? I didn't notice, but I assumed it was Hawaii.

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a Newark New Jersey with sergeants stripes. And Lieutenant Commander McGarrett USNR, US Naval Academy class of 199? did not bother to shave. Uniform standards obviously don't apply to reserve Navy SEALS

16. Broccoli

Last night's episode was kinda "meh". The fact that Kono was working for HPD was no surprise at all, and the episode itself felt like it was all over the place. Of course, we also had to end with a "We're badasses walking in slow-mo!" moment. :lol:

I have a feeling that they wrote out Steve's Navy fling in order to possibly hook him up with Lori. That was somewhat hinted in the first episode or two of this season. I honestly hope they don't go down that path. Mostly because it is just too cliched.

I really think they are trying too hard with her character. I dunno. I just can't come around to like her. She has added nothing too the show to make her addition worthwhile. She was assigned to the 5-0 to make sure they play by the rules, but the show has done nothing with it.

Part of me wishes they kept Jenna. I felt she integrated into the show instantly.

17. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Top41

Ah, very cool. And LOL about McGarrett--too much time trying to catch the killer of Danno's former partner to find time to shave?? :lol:

That was such cheese. It cracked me up, but it was serious cheese. The Kono reveal wasn't at all surprising, and I'm mostly just glad it's done. I thought there was some nice stuff in the episode: Chin's date with Malia, Malia trying to talk to Kono, Steve and Danno bickering in the car again, etc.

Yeah, I'm with you there--it will be pretty predictable if they do that, and I can't say I really like the idea either. I don't think Steve has shown much interest though, aside from checking her out when they first met, before he knew she was going to be assigned to the team.

I don't really dislike her, but I don't think she's really added anything to the team, either. I'm glad they haven't gone the Mary Sue route and made her the awesomest ever!!! but I think in an effort to avoid doing that, they haven't really distinguished her.

I liked Jenna--she was odd and quirky and kind of awkward. I admit that I totally didn't see the twist at the end of episode 201 coming, and I'm interested to see where they take it and why she's helping Wo Fat, but I wouldn't have minded if they had made her a permanent addition to the team.

Thanks for that article! Kamekona is hilarious, but yeah, I agree... an appearance here or there is enough. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode focused around him, but I wouldn't want him to join the team or anything like that.

19. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree.:eek:

20. Top41

The fight thing in last night's episode was so goofy. McGarrett takes down a suspect who was supposed to participate in a fight--so he steps in because it's for charity. Gratuitous to say the least.

I love the part with Danny connecting with the dead guy's son, and wish they'd done more with that. You could really tell how much Danny was affected by seeing the kid come home and find his house surrounded by police cars.

The appearance of the girl from NCISLA was also pretty gratuitous and unnecessary. Usually there's a real purpose behind crossovers, but there didn't really seem to be one here.

The fight scenes in this one--Joe vs. Wo Fat, Steve vs. the fighter he thought was the killer--were pretty good. I totally had the killer picked out from the get-go, though, but that was in part because he was played by a recognizable guest star.

LOVED seeing Annie Wershling!! Someone needs to get her her own show because she's too damn good to be doing guest spots here and there.

I also love how Steve always drives Danny's car--his little, "Am I driving? Of course I'm driving!" cracked me up.

What did everyone else think?