Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yes. Star Wars needs its expanded universe to flesh out the details, because actually not a lot is given, in the movies. The films are a tiny snapshot in time in the SW universe.

ST canon policy dictates that only on screen materials are canon. Which is fair enough, as Trek has over 700 episodes spread over six television series (counting TAS) and 11, soon to be 12, movies.

SW has six movies, two spin off Ewok movies, an Ewoks cartoon, a holiday special, a droids cartoon, a Clone Wars miniseries, a CGI Clone Wars series, a CGI Clone Wars movie, an animated spoof series (Detours), and a possible live action series in the making.

And that's before we even get to the countless books, video games, comics, etc in both franchises.

I haven't read a lot of the SW books. Or the ST ones, for that matter. More into visual materials based on these franchises.

Personal opinion doesn't make something non canon. if it was produced, filmed and aired, it's canon. Even Caravan of Courage.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So... rape?

Don't tell me - Obi-Wan owned lots of droids!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Call me a sucker, but I still want to see a proper DVD/Blu Ray release of the Droids and Ewoks cartoons! They released cobbled together, three episode, things on DVD around the time Episode III was released in theatres. They're hard to find in stores now, although they're still floating around on Amazon (although I'm in region 4, and would need a multi region player to view them). And will they ever release the 2003 Clone Wars series on Blu Ray?

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would also love to see the whole Droids and Ewoks series. I don't think I've ever watched any episodes of them.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

For all its faults, and despite being utterly bizarre, "The Faithful Wookiee" (a.k.a. the Boba Fett cartoon from the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special) is a must-see classic.

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Halo or Star Trek. Its not official in Trek but we had not seen anything blatantly contradicting previous Abramsverse stuf.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Halo: Reach contradicts the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach with I believe it being said somewhere that the games supersede the books and if you are referring to the comics are canon statement thats been walked back on so not on the Abramsverse and any show made in the Primeverse unlikely as it is to be made is under no obligation to follow the novels.

Plus there has only been one Abrams movie and most of the comic series have been set after it so we really won't know if its contradicted until the new film and even then the comics are being set up in a way to not step on the new movie's toes not the other way around

as for the other stuff before or during the film aka Countdown and Nero, Countdown doesn't seem to sync up with Spock Prime's recounting of the destruction of Romulus as he didn't seem to know Nero that well in the film whereas in Countdown he spent a good amount of time with him plus the comic has been declared non-canon, and Nero is pretty much ignored as its based on deleted scenes.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  8. Hartzilla2007

Oh, I think the reason that Clone Wars is being moved to Saturdays is so it can run back to back with Green Lantern: The Animated Series which is also apparently coming back on the 29th.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

There was no rape in the conception of Luke and Leia.

I liked Nero Countdown a lot. As much as I liked the Star Trek movie, the reason given for Nero's rage at the Vulcans is ONE THOUSAND TIMES better and more logical (no pun intended) in the comic than it is in the movie.

10. Drago-Kazov

The novels are probably a lower level canon then the movies just like in SW. That has it contradictions and retcons too.

We wil see how trek will go so far i have plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting interview since Filoni has stated in the past that the micro-series would not be ignored or disregarded. Perhaps this has since changed.

13. Drago-Kazov

Most of the other EU ignored it.

14. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But then again, his series is only a mere two hours of animation, as opposed to a series with 88 episodes under it's belt.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

And the prequels add up to about 8 hours.

Not arguing which should take precedence over which due to length. I just had the impression (mostly from discussions here) that they were not gonna step on the toes of the 2D series which inspired much of the style of the current CG series.

16. Hartzilla2007

To be fair there don't seem to be any major discrepancies between the two shows until after Anakin becomes a Jedi Knight and the those could probably get by with just some minor reconting of some stuff.

17. Set Harth

A lot of other EU either preceded it in the timeline, making a lack of mention pretty much unavoidable, or was placed well in the future of it, making hypothetical references somewhat unlikely. Both LOE and the ROTS novel referred to events from the microseries.

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay - when did Anakin become a full Jedi?

What I'm wondering, especially since the news that the short Clone Wars series is no longer canon... does this mean we'll get to see an Anakin-becomes-a-Jedi-Knight story in The Clone Wars? For some reason I recall a knighting-jedi story in that series. In the Nelvaan cave or something?

It seems like a moment too important to not explore in this series.

19. Set Harth

There was no such news, AFAIK.

It was before that. It wasn't a story, more of a vignette. It wouldn't really work to have the Jedi Council suddenly show up in the Nelvaan cave ready for a knighting ceremony.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We know that Anakin is a padawan in ATOC and we know that he is a Jedi knight in ROTS.

The Clone Wars aims to fill in the details of the events between films by telling stories about the Clone Wars. It actually seems ridiculous (to me, anyway) to deliberately omit what could be argued as the single most important event to occur between films!

Was it easy for Anakin to pass the trials? How many trials did he have, and for how long? What was Obi-Wan's involvement? Did it occur closer to AOTC or ROTS? What did Anakin/Obi-Wan discuss before/after the trails, the ceremony? How did Padme support Anakin through this, if at all? What about when Anakin tells Padme of his success? What entails the actual ceremony (if any) to jedi status?

Seems like these things could be flashbacked into nearly any story that centers on Anakin.