Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

So...what, Neo-Hydrae? Let's just hope they're not from Illinois, I hate those guys. ;)

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind that Cap, Carter, Stark, Phillips, etc., were members of the SSR, who were in Europe specifically to fight HYDRA. That doesn't mean that the rest of World War II wasn't still going on around them. The Allies were still fighting the Axis, and Nazi Germany were still the bad guys, but in the MCU there was a secret, secondary war going on between HYDRA and the SSR that the history books don't mention.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, the Captain America movie did overtly mention Hitler and the Nazis, but just kept them mostly offscreen. But perhaps the source of confusion is that the animated series The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did avoid mentioning the Nazis at all and portrayed WWII as a battle strictly against HYDRA.

My impression is that these things are done to avoid censorship in Germany, since German law doesn't allow any Nazi imagery in children's programming, or is it in movies/TV altogether? Toy sales are also a major consideration -- nobody wants to go around selling children toys with swastikas on them.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Cobie Smulders will become a regular once How I Met your Mother has wrapped up?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That probably has been asked a million times now. :lol:

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

My mind's ear is having trouble hearing "D'oh" with an English accent.... :p

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They don't allow Nazi imagery for shits and giggles but it's allowed for educational purposes, in art or reporting (which means random people waving a Nazi flag is illegal, the news filming that and showing it on tv is allowed).
    If Nazi's are portrayed in a movie using the Swastika etc. is fine, it happens all the time. And it's not just limited to period pieces taking place in nazi Germany, it also applies to Neo-Nazis. Take American History X for example, the Nazi imagery was justified and no one had a problem with it.

Obviously the context also matters, you're not allowed to glorify nazis or deny their crimes, so someone making a movie that does that cannot use the imagery without being punished because it's obviously not educational and you can't argue "art" because it falls under hate speech.

There are no special rules regarding children's programming that I'm aware of, in fact all children are exposed to Nazi symbols in school, learning about it is part of the curriculum and seeing the pictures of the Nazi's crimes is important, so it's not like they have no idea what the stuff looks like.

8. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was underwhelmed by the pilot.

I love the idea of SHIELD tv show, and was looking forward to it. Right now, as I think over the episode, I am taking away references to SHIELD and Marvel heroes, and what is left is just a generic show about "powers" that really has less to it so far than Alphas or Mutant X or any other show I can think of.

Granted, this is just the pilot, so there is room to go somewhere, but what it is so far is just another hero show, only the super powered characters are going to be the freak of the week.

If it wasn't set in the Marvel universe with Colson and Hill, there would be nothing here that I haven't seen before.

As a plus, it has Whedon's signature witty dialogue being spoken by the characters, but that can't carry the show by itself.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For some reason I couldn't keep my attention on this show. I liked many bits about it. I didn't like the feeling of Heroes that seeped into every scene with Mike(?) the gifted dude in this outing. I thought it was a weird way to set up a series but I loved The Bus and most of the main characters. I had to watch it twice, though... man I couldn't focus on this episode. I'm not sure why. It wasn't poorly written and it looked good... but every time Mike was on screen I couldn't help but think that I couldn't care less about this guy. And even after the disturbing ending, it was the same feeling. So is Mike a villain of the week, a main character?

The tech nerds were annoying, much as I feel they were designed to be likeable. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Would anyone who had never seen a MCU film have any fucking idea what was happening? Using "gifted" as mutants must have confused the hell out of Joe Six Pack.

Fingers crossed for good sci-fi on TV again. Colson/Greg will drive this, he's a great lead.