TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Bones_McCoy21, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

When Data died in Nemesis.

2. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I dont know how I felt about that. I was sad because data is by far my favorite character, but then all that crap with B4 kind of sullied the whole thing, i left the cinema is a very strange mood.

3. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not the only one.

4. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

How do you know he didn't?

I recently re-watched that episode, and Jarok's speech about seeing his daughter and realizing that he felt he had to change the world for her usually evokes a reaction out of me.

5. Lt. LaForge

Lt. LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

An assumption, my good man. Based on the fact that it wasn't shown to us. We can't just assume that he delivered it. Conjecture should be taken negatively more often than not...when it comes to TV, in my opinion.

6. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I think all the Voyager fans who readily accept the big reset button that they got at the end of each episode of Voyager would disagree.

I think that if Jarok left the names and address of his family and the kind of man that Picard is, I think we can safely assume that he at least delivered it to Shinzon or some other representive of the Romulan government during the early events of Nemesis or post-Nemesis (Donatra was honorable) And if not then, possibly through intermedaries during the Dominion War, when they were allies.

It sounds to be like you took the available data about all the items and people involved and decided that they would all act illogically and completely out of character.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

It was a strange one, you're spot on. But before the moment with B4 singing 'Blue Sky' there was the moment when Data said goodbye to Picard. The crew crying over his death was another tough one to watch. I think that when Geordie followed Data to the forcefield, he knew he wouldn't see his best friend again.

As sad as it is, even typing this out gives me a lump :(

I'm a bit of a purist and as such, I was pretty gutted that they destroyed the Enterprise-D as well. It led to me never really taking to the Enterprise-E. But when Data blew up the Scimitar whilst on it, that was the worst I've ever felt watching a TV show or movie.

8. Lt. LaForge

Lt. LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To be fair, mate, I didn't look at the big picture. I was only looking at this situation through "The Defector" window, and as such did not consider Federation relations or dealings after the series' end. You have no idea how much better you made me about the ending of that episode. :)

9. Tina Lawton

Tina Lawton Commander Red Shirt

To address the OP question, the episode Sub Rosa. That someone made good money from writing that crap is amazing.

10. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

One would have to be from Reunion.

Worf and Alexander are in Worf's quarters alone. Worf tells him that he made arrangements for Alexander's care, but Alexander
    asks why can't he stay with Worf.

Worf gently explains that he deserves a home and family which his parents can provide. Alexander looks off into the distance.

Worf senses what Alexander is thinking, tells him, "I miss her too."

Then Alexander looks up at Worf and slowly asks,"Are you my father?"

After a second, Worf finally softens up and admits, "Yes, I am your father".

Alexander reaches out with a hand, and Worf takes it, and pulls him closer and they embrace.

It was a wrenching moment that nobody else aboard would ever find out about.

11. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

I thought Lower Decks was a beautiful, unorthodox episode. It's still one of my favorites of the whole franchise. I started tearing up when Picard made the shipwide announcement about Sito's death.

ETA: Tosk already said it in those near-exact terms, so I agree! :techman:

12. Tina Lawton

Tina Lawton Commander Red Shirt

In the spirit of the thread, the episode "The Offspring" did cause me to cry, for reasons I won't go into here. Lets just say it hit very close to home.

13. samalex

samalex Ensign Newbie

Lots of sad TNG moments, but the two that really stand out for me are Tasha Yar's eulogy in Skin of Evil and the final scene of All Good Things when Picard sits down at the card table. Both still to this day make me teary eyed.

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. Both are the 2 worst moments in the history of Star Trek, and I include Kirk's death as equally bad.

It's like they wanted to destroy TNG on purpose almost.

15. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Everyone has already mentioned the good ones...I'm going to have to dig deep here.

Ahh, I thought of one. Ed Lauter in "The First Duty"

16. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tasha's good-bye speech as hologram to the crew after she died.
    Exactly the moment when she says "Aah, Worf - we're so much alike, you and I. Both warriors.." - and the music in that moment is so intense.
    But that's not just this scene, it's something personal as well.
    Be strong now. Here we go:
    When I saw that episode first time in the 80s, my best friend had just died 4 days ago in a car accident with only 18 years old.
    We were warriors and very much alike too, he's been always a soulmate to me.
    So just thinking about that scene with Tashas speech already brings tears to my eyes, even after all those years...
    Phew..that's been my toughest post on here so far...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  17. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

That always gets me as well.

18. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That ep at the time wasn't well received, but I'm seeing a lot of love for it here. Interesting.

I *always* loved it. The suddeness, the music...the camera work when they take her into sickbay...Picard's speech about evil. The fact that the writers leave it at 'A skin of evil', instead of technobabbling that away. All well done.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't cry during the scene, but the final dream sequence in Birthright I has always given me goosebumps. It's such a beautiful scene, culminating in some of the best space shots you'll see in Star trek. It's that one scene that made me love that episode a lot, even though Part 2 was a disappointment.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard playing the flute at the end of The Inner Light.