End of the World

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by hux, Apr 4, 2015.

?

How will the world end

1. Alien invasion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Climate chane

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Nuclear war

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Death of the sun

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. Pandemic

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Nuclear accident

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Asteroids

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Super Volcano

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  9. AI

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  10. Bio Terror

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Channel 4 (UK) did an interesting End of the World" night where scientists looked at and discussed the various ways humanity might be destroyed. They looked at 10 choices (heavily influenced by movies)

Professor Stephen Hawking reckons any genuine AI would inevitably and eventually destroy us

what do you think?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm at optimistic, so I'm going with Death of the Sun.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Poll missing "with a whimper".

4. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brawndo's got electrolytes!

(NSFW)
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL1-340ODCM[/yt]

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Weird. Just a few minutes ago I had to contain an unexplainable urge to post a poll asking when the world will end. I was planning to give a wide variety of options: This week, this month, this year, by the end of the decade.

In light of my unposted troll poll, my answer to this one is obvious: iWatch.

Technically, the sun will roast us long before that. We are going uninhabitable in a few hundred million years IIRC. That might help explain the lack of aliens – we developed spaceflight and radio near the planned end of life of our planet. Maybe the other multicellular lifeforms didn't invent the wheel before their planet got too hot.

Aside from that, a pandemic and bio terror are the only two that can take out the entire human race. Asteroid collisions are also capable, but we will be able to deflect them, and nothing big enough is expected to come our way. It is likely that no asteroid impact that will happen will wipe us out.

Maybe the aliens too... But only because they are so unpredictable that we don't even know if they exist.

ETA: And if a pandemic kills us, the civilization might get a second chance. People living with little or no contact with the rest of it will survive and will be able to restart it. I think there are enough of them to expect finds of the empty cities to follow at some point. That will drive them to repeat what was there. If that fails, I am counting on elephants.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

When "Keeping up with the Kardashians" goes off the air, the world will end.

:)

7. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm rather hoping it'll run at least until we get to see them annex Bajor.

8. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

"End of the World" and a human extinction event are two different things. Out of all your options, only the Sun option has any relevance to the planet's destruction. As to the end of man, it will be his ignorance, not his intelligence, that's kills him.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, it'll be his ignorance combined with his intelligence.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Evolution will take care of man. No reason the sophisticated neural system can't be thrown off over a million or so years for something less destructive to the species.

11. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As Frank Zappa once said (in "Dumb All Over") regarding the fate of the Earth vs. Humanity's possible fate at their (our?) own hands:
    "I mean it won't blow up
    'n disappear
    It'll just look ugly
    For a thousand years..."

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

And I feel fine.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Seconded.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted for Super Volcano because it sounds cool.

15. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for taking part. Don't forget to pick up your...."i'm a fun person who doesn't take things too seriously"....goody bag on the way out

I prefer to think that there will be a combination of events. Super volcano followed by asteroids then super awesome AI will enslave us (before finally being destroyed themselves by an alien invasion)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Depends on how you look at it. The end of the world might be inevitable in one way or another or it could also be seen as a transition..transition into space and away from the Earth for example, or from fossil fuels to fusion and renewables, or instead of an AI apocalypse it could be an AI transformation of the human race if done correctly. Everyone seems keen on thinking in the box. Humanity has little room to expand it's thinking but it'll have to eventually.

RAMA

17. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, I had a flash to one of those dream sequences from the comic strip CALVIN AND HOBBES.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Oh, Calvin and Hobbies, how I love thee. :lol:

19. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

"Calvin and Hobbs" reign supreme!

Man and Woman will survive.
    The World will end when the Sun blows up.
    We will be long gone to other places in the cosmos by then.

Did I hear something about "Goodie Bags" for participating?...

20. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting to find someone who is aware that current astrophysical models of stellar evolution do in fact predict that a star gets steadily brighter long before it leaves the main sequence. Of course that leaves the reasonable amount of doubt regarding how well our models portray whatever is actually taking place in the sky. Despite the heavy mathematization of physics and Stephen Hawking's assurances of the arrival of "precision cosmology," I see little reason to think we've heard the last word on this subject.

But "a few hundred million years" is quite a while. We have an extremely foreshortened view of natural history because the recent past is seen at higher temporal resolution than the remote past is. This motivates us to attach way too much importance to the human species and its civilizations in the overall scheme of things. It has also led us to assume that human beings, and life as we understand it today, are the final stage in evolution: Otherwise we wouldn't ask about how we will respond to the impending asteroid impact or the sun's death, while simultaneously overrating the lethality of pandemics.

Pandemics are hardly fun. But they don't destroy a widespread species too easily. Even if a lightning airborne disease killed 99% of today's population; some 70 million survivors would be left behind, more people than our planet hosted during the reign of Egypt's Amenemhat I. And these survivors would likely have natural resistance to the pathogen. Real pandemics such as the Black Death and Spanish Flu killed only a small fraction of the world population, never coming close to threatening an extinction.

Meanwhile, huge asteroid impacts of the sort that ended the dinosaurs occur so infrequently we will likely have disappeared or evolved into something unrecognizable by the time the next one comes. Of course there's always the risk. But even if it happened right now, would humanity die out? Many types of advanced life, including crocodiles, survived the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. We are considerably more adaptable than any reptile. I would bet not only on species survival, but that we might rebuild civilization after an impact unless it's big enough to extinguish all multicellular life.

Extinction itself can be somewhat illusory. After all, some dinosaur lineages still have living descendants: We call them birds.