Star trek Lexington: New CGI demo reel

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Data Holmes, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

So, there is an internet fan film series called Star Trek Lexington. It caught my eye a few years ago when they first popped up and I've been watching their progress.

I'm really impressed. They are one of the few to operate in the late movie era, and they seem to capture the tone, look, and feel right in their CGI so far.

Here is their latest CGI demo. I think this is some amazing work... I mean, I've seen movies with CGI that didn't look this good.

And for those who didn't know about this one, here is their other stuff they've put out:

Here was the first "series trailer"
    Here was the second "series trailer"
    Here was the opening "teaser" for their first eps.
    Here was the credit sequence.

2. dillon3001

dillon3001 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The graphics of the last demo were impressive. Its good to see other groups like Phase II and Farragut try their hand at things. Hopefully we'll get to see a episode or two from these guys before too long.

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Very nice work overall... I really love the warp effect, but I have to say, it would have been so much cooler to see more original camera angles used in a lot of the shots... it seemed like way too many camera angles were just re-creations of TMP shots.

One thing I'm curious about... why is there a spotlight directed on the middle of the neck section? There's nothing of real importance there, so I'm wondering why a spotlight was on it?

4. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Work continues on Starship Lexington. Here's a music video of Saavik and a new officer, DeClan Ironsides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVa1Us0k7E

The actress playing Saavik is also a producer of this fan production and she now has a Youtube channel with a few music videos of appearances that she and others have made in uniform: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdmiralTMoya

Lexington's website crashed, but they're up and running with a new forum-style website: http://www.startreklexington.net/

Unfortunately not much info available on what they're working on or how soon we might see some video footage or a trailer or an episode. After a serious hard drive crash and the near loss of their first almost completed episode, it seems they've decided to commit to dates any more. So it's wait and see.

I would love to see a post-TWOK fan production. I know Grissom is coming out this week and that sounds great (audio production -- sounds great!), but I want to SEE a an early Movie-era Trek production. I haven't missed ONE have I?

Does anyone know of a fan production set in the Star Trek movie era (STMP to ST VI)?

Is this list complete?

Starship Lexington -- something coming sometime
    Star Trek U.S.S. Hathaway -- no current info about status
    Star Trek: Grissom -- post TWOK and releasing audio episode 1 this weekend

Are there any other current or projection fan productions for this early Movie era?

(I'll admit it: it's the really cool red suits! I love those maroon suits!)

5. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a test. Is there a better way to test your effects than to recreate shots from a film to help figure out how the lighting, textures and so forth should be done in order to best recreate the look they want? Sheesh. You sound a little ungrateful. :rolleyes:

Personally I love their attempts to recapture the more moody and pearlescent look from TMP.

Well, if you think about the ship design, it's an easy spot to illuminate. It doesn't have to have a practical reason just an artistic one for the filmmakers. If you need a reason, maybe it's to illuminate the saucer separation line. *shrug*

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Don't forget about "Tales of the Seventh Fleet" We actually have 3 episodes completed and a fourth on the way. http://vimeo.com/channels/totsf

7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Without commenting on the merits of BolianAdmiral's criticism or your reply, I have to giggle at the fact that you're scolding BolianAdmiral for a comment he made almost seven months ago. Talk about a delayed reaction! :lol:

8. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Is there anything new on this project???

9. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I am trying to track this on my blog. Star Trek: Lexington is assigned to Blog 97, section (V) (that's the letter V, not Roman Numeral Five).
    http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/97.html

This particular blog is for fan film websites that have not yet produced a fan film. Fan film groups that produce actual films (an opening act of a few minutes may or may not be considered a film... I reserve the right to be arbitrary) get their own blogs.

This is their home on You Tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/lexington1709

10. CaptainKen

Destiny Captain:

I did give you an update on Lexington (see above) dated Aug 4. It would be hard to getting anything newer than Aug 4! But I guess Barbreader wants you to look at videos from 7 months and 2 years ago. They are cool videos, but dated. The project goes on, but at an Alabama pace, what they call a spare time pace. They are currently recruiting, so that too mya suggest that it will be a while. For the latest, there are some links in my posting above, quoted here:

11. Barbreader

Thank you, Captain Ken. I saw that but they were not quite what I had in mind. I had hoped for more story. The blog containing reference to Star Trek: Lexington is now
    Blog 143, (V).

I just wouldn't want to miss an episode they released for viewing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  12. Barbreader

Concerning your question about Fan Films set during the TOS movie era, In addition to Tales of the 7th Fleet, Star Trek: Aurora is set just after TOS. It is being produced out of Boston, Mass. USA.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  13. CaptainKen

Though interesting, I'm still hoping for something at Hidden Frontier -- Phase II level quality but set in the post-TWOK movie era. It's a great time period in Trek history just waiting to be mined for exciting stories. Something like Star Trek: Excelsior with Captain Sulu is what I had in mind. And I guess Phase II at least gave me one episode of what that could've been like ("World Enough and Time," or see this thread, http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=101431)

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

That's a nice CGI reel - I think maybe through nostalgia of watching the movies as a kid, the reft Constitution is a favourite - nice to see the old girl back in action.

15. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

If you take honest feedback as sounding ungrateful, I don't know what to say. Maybe you're afraid or originality. In any case, I never said I didn't like it, as you so quickly assumed... I merely offered that it would have been cool to see new and unique camera angles.

On the subject of lighting, I would have to offer that MANY of the shots were pretty dark. If you look at TWOK and TSFS, the Enterprise is pretty well-lit most of the time. In TSFS, in the scene where the ship is sitting across from the Klingon BOP, the Enterprise is quite well-illuminated. Again, this isn't bashing... I'm just offering feedback, which I guess some misunderstand. All in all, you guys did a good job.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This is a fine comment.

But this was unnecessary. If you're offering feedback, it's not necessary to get in a dig when explaining yourself.