Call of Duty 5 SUCKS! Dont waste your money!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but with both Wetwork and Vacant, you knew there was a finite number of places that you could camp. Maps like Outskirts and Seelow though, the number of places is almost endless. On the CoD4 maps, you pretty much knew which avenues to avoid. With 5, it's a lot, lot harder.

2. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell me about it. In my increasingly rare time with my 360, I'm immersed in Fable II (loving it!) but also want to dive into Gears of War II, Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3 and Dead Space. And I know it will take me FOREVER to get through those games given the scant time I actually have to play videogames these days.

*sigh* Kids, wife, job ... they really cut into my gaming time.

3. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Russian tank mission is pissing me the hell off. I keep getting blown to hell by tiny specks on the horizon or, sometimes, nothing at all!

Meanwhile, I'm actually getting better at the multiplayer. I won a match tonight, and had a good kill/death ratio. It still isn't as good as CoD3, but at least I'm enjoying it a lot more :)

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Not as good as COD3? you'd need a flickering, guttering out candle to hold a light to COD3.

At least here in COD5 you don't have to face a single Gauntlet of Death that U can't get out of.

5. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, okay. Having played through the Single Player campaign on veteran, had a marathon Nazi Zombies run while somewhat drunk last night after a poker game (perfect cap to the evening), and having played quite a bit of multiplayer, I can say this:

What the hell is the OP talking about? The game is fuckin' fantastic. Absolutely brilliant multiplayer maps, a gorgeous single player campaign (what was that about crappy graphics? they're beautiful), perfect, as usual, COD4 type multiplayer with some nice add-ons (coop is very welcome, Nazi Zombies is awesome). Great weapons with unique feels to them and pefect - again, as usual - COD4 style gunplay with some changes in strategy given the older type weapons.

Can't say enough - it's an absolutely great game. Not quite as good on the single player front as COD4, from a narrative standpoint, but otherwise it matches the quality of COD4 and in some ways exceeds it (particularly on the maps).

6. unimatrix7

I assure you it's much more difficult to escape poor netcode :)

Anyhoo, I did the seaplane level last night. I didn't think I was going to like it at first, but it was awesome! :D

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think a lot of the naysayers just have a bias against Treyarch after COD3. They weren't willing to give them a chance, even though the circumstances behind the development of WAW were completely different. Treyarch had to rush COD3 (which I still enjoyed), whereas they had two years to work on WAW.

So what if they've just borrowed IW's engine? COD4 wasn't particularly innovative, it was just extremely well-executed. WAW takes what IW started and improves it in some respects, at least from a gameplay perspective. The only major flaw in WAW compared to COD4 is that it feels more episodic and lacks a strong narrative, due to the time-leaping nature of the campaign.

I also think it's this "World War II fatigue" that a lot of people whine about. They started crapping on WAW immediately after it was announced that it would take place in World War II, and refused to give Treyarch a chance to prove them wrong.

8. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just picked up CoD5 today.

I haven't read through all 7 pages of this thread, but I'm not sure what the OP is going on about. This is COD4, but in WWII. In other words, FUCKING AWESOME.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Working my way through the SP campaign, and then I'll do co-op. After that, this one's getting traded in. The MP side is a complete joke. Great to see new maps, and the graphics are superb. Besides that though all you're left with is a vastly inferior version to Modern Warfare. The maps are condusive to ultra-camping, the hit detection still seems way off to me. I have stopping power selected, yet it still take 3/4 shots to kill someone. In return I can apparently be picked off by a single pistol shot...

Really, really wanted to like this, but have to say, at the end of the day, there's no way on earth that WaW is going to usurp Modern Warfare.

10. boobascooba

boobascooba Cadet Newbie

Well, my bud bought this game a couple days ago and we cranked it up...what a disappointment. Guess I should have known.

First off, you still can't play Xbox-live in split screen mode...again. Well, after grumbling some we started the campaign. In the first 5 minutes I got stuck on a rock and couldn't move, so i had to kill myself.

Also, did you know that Japanese guys can walk through the air, or that when a bunch of them stand together, this weird chemical reaction happens that turns one of them into a bouncy ball and sends him flying across the map? Not to mention the, "What? Where can I get one of them anti-gravity Navy Boats at?" factor.

I also enjoyed that for very large portions of the game you can't move out of the tiny little path the game designers prescribed for you. I mean, all games are linear, but being forced to walk in the exact path is frustrating. I mean, what, the battle is going on right over this bunch of bushes? What you want to walk through the bushes? no...you'd better walk all the way around this bunch of trenches and buildings and then you can be past the bushes. Or in the first russian level "Nope, this corn is too hard for you to walk through sir. This is Nazis only produce. You'd best just go around and leave the corn-walkin' to the real men."

I think my most favorite is when the japanese guys hide behind the extremely heavily armored tree leaves that are impenetrable to bullets.

The AI is terrible too. It's pretty neat when a marine can stand on one side of a pile of sandbags and an enemy can stand on the other and they just aren't smart enough to pwn each other. nope. you have to do it. Or when the tanks or machine gun turrets somehow know exactly where you are, even if you are in a house minding your own business. Despite the huge battle, they will swing their gun around to gitcha through that little crack in the wall.

Lastly, the blood and guts is a little gratuitous in my opinion. I mean, sure, I know it's a war game and that stuff happened, but this is no solute to our grandfathers or anything like that. I'd be embarrassed if my granddad saw me playing this game. So why does xXKillerN00bXx's pelvis need to get blown off by a landmine so I can see his guts? Why do people's hands arms and legs need to get blasted off? I mean, the stabbing is about the least disgusting part of the game. Just don't think that's necessary for an otherwise totally unrealistic game like this.

...And there you have it.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I do agree that this game, like all of the COD games, was pretty linear. Maybe IW will do something about that in COD6.

12. unimatrix7

I tell ya what, the Nazi zombies mode is almost worth the price of admission on its own. You and three other players running around the cottage trying to plug the leaks, repair the entryways, fall back, retake rooms. Awesome fun :D

If anyone wants a go on Xbox Live, my gamertag is DaxNine.

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I'm not reading all these pages but I couldn't agree more with your statement or less with the OPs - I got the game yesterday, played about half of the single player campaign on veteran and had some multiplayer fun (although limited by the fact servers haven't really sprung up yet in vast numbers in Europe so they were all very full).
    I absolutely loved it. It's a fantastic game, the single player campaign is interesting and the narrative is actually passably exciting which makes a change (and not as weirdly far fetched as CoD4's nuclear holocaust). The engine seems fairly solid, I was impressed with the realistic damage to enemies - shoot em in the leg and they go down holding their leg but don't just die straight off - and the multiplayer seems to have solved a lot of the problems inherent in the CoD4 multiplayer (which don't get me wrong, i loved too), notably the way each game would descend into an explosion-fest within 5 minutes - the bigger more intricate maps help prevent this. And 'calling in the dogs' is a genius alternative to helicopters.

14. dark angel_707

dark angel_707 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

anyone else found you get spammed with grenades even on easier skill levels?
    completed it on single player on regular (normal) and get spammed with grenades like I was playing on veteran

Didn't enjoy the pacific levels (although the flame thrower is fun) :evil: The AI seems worse than the 4th game at times. Zombie mode is fun as I'm not on Live at the minute, played quite a few games in split screen mode. Glad it was just a rental as I wouldn't be playing at all next month probably

15. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Little bit, but found them fairly easy to avoid. They seem to have long fuses and keeping moving keeps you out of their way.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually have less trouble throwing back grenades in this one than the last one.

17. Twilight

My new favorite time waster: Nazi Zombies!

It's like Hoard in Gears of War 2 (which is awseome as well), but this one has something GOW2 doesn't ... killing Nazi Zombies.

18. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Went through 2 frantic hours of this the other night-and was shocked to realize what time we finished! Never noticed the time passing and certainly didn't get bored-I was way too busy scrambling to help my pals live through it. What a riot!

19. Twilight

What wave did you get to? None of my groups have been able to survive past wave 16 :(

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Best I've seen is level 18 from my house mate and his clan friends.