Build-Up to The Office Finale

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by trekkiebaggio, Jan 27, 2013.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

They're not going to break them up. They're adding a little tension before the finale, but Jim and Pam will have a happy ending for sure.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paul divorced Jaimie in the last episode of Mad About You because, and I quote "You're not kind anymore."

You can't trust wet shit to stink.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And "Mad About You" died in syndication after that. Which would be reason alone for the producers of "the Office" to avoid that with Jim and Pam.

4. Guy Gardener

You haven't seen the final episode, or you don't recall all of it, because I was only telling half the truth.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The show is so much better when the wackiness is somewhat plausible. Carell was written wackier and wackier to the point of not seeming to be someone who could realistically function as a human being. That was then transferred on to Helms and really brought down the whole show. Removing both of them from the picture has really helped to bring back some of that realism and the show is really benefiting from it.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know when Andy comes back? This is way too long an absence. And I didn't know about Krasinski leaving early, that makes me worried about how stupid they're going to go with this...

I'm definitely enjoy this year more than last. They're actually doing something with the story, and putting an emphasis on Jim/Pam again. They basically disappeared from the show after the baby was born.

7. the G-man

You're right. I don't recall all of it. I remember Jeaneane Garafalo's character (their now-adult daughter narrating) saying they split up. Was there an epilogue where they got remarried?

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Also every higher-up boss they had either turned into a moron or was bizarrely eccentric, to the point you wondered how they managed to stay in business. They seemed more like wacky sitcom boss-characters than anything one would encounter in real life. The show was stronger when it had more of real-world grounding.

9. the G-man

The problem with "real world grounding" was that very few American TV shows will let their lead characters be unlikeable. The original version of Michael was casually racist and sexist along with clueless. When that became....problematic...they turned him into a "loveable lunkhead," sort of a better looking Homer Simpson. And, just like Homer, he got progressively stupider.

10. Venardhi

It was shown time and time again in the first season or two that beneath his trying too hard and lacking common sense in certain social situations, he was a capable professional and often had a better hold on a situation than the people around him. His occasional offensiveness was part of his charm because it was never malicious.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With their investor dropping out, I wonder if it'll more reflect Entertainment 7wenty.

The Jim and Pam things is pretty weak. It seems a way to (slowly) phase Jim and Pam out of Dunder Mifflin. I would be surprised if Pam doesn't move to Philly by the end of the season. I'm still wondering why they haven't fired her. They revealed how terrible of a salesperson she is, she left with Michael to form the Michael Scott Paper Company, and when not selling (which seems more often than not), her sole responsibility seems to be to sign for pens...

This week's episode was really annoying with not-Roy defacing Pam's mural. I think it would have fit better if it was Roy. Maybe his marriage falls apart and he's working for Dunder Mifflin again, sees Pam's mural, blames her for the sad state of his life, and defaces the mural (which is something I see him doing).

12. Guy Gardener

Some time after the previous episode on the very day of their wedding anniversary they bump into Lyle Lovett who married them on that cruise before the pilot... It turns out that he was a regular dude in fancy dress and not a real priest at all so they had never been married. They try really hard to get married on that very day to retain the same wedding anniversary but fail, or give up with seconds to spare because they decide that how it is now is what works, and to actually get married would change things too much and ruin their perfect relationship. A lot of time later they broke up because "she stopped being kind" 10 years later they sit beside eachother in a theatre to see Mable's final project for filmschool which is all about how awesome her parents are, and then, caught up in all that nostalgia, they leave together and never part again.

13. Guy Gardener

It's possible that when Michael got them all rehired that their was a clause in the contract to make sure they couldn't be refired immediately or without good cause. Michael isn't very bright, but he must have been burnt enough in his life to see that coming which is why he should have been able to guarantee their safety for at least 5 years.

She's either outright unfireable or Pam has a multi million dollar golden parachute for a limited amount of time she would know about if she was the sort of person to read her own contract.

In third form (14 years old?) this girl was wandering about the class room asking all the boys mostly in ear shot of each other if they wanted to be her girlfriend. I heard a successive rally of noes from lads who were really wigged by the proposition until she asked the fat short geeky kid who jumped at the bait... Half a second later at the top of her lungs she screams "YOU'RE DUMPED!!!!!"

Same principle.

14. the G-man

It might not have been malicious but he was racist and sexist. It was part of the character. As the show went on those aspects were toned down and he just got dumber and dumber, with the driving into a lake because his GPS told him to being the tipping point.

15. Venardhi

Yes, but ignorance is looked upon with a lot more forgiveness, and that is why he was still likable in spite of those faults.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's not a salesperson, she's the office administrator now.

17. Guy Gardener

The office administrator job is made up.

She just said she was the OA and dared anyone to call her liar.

Made up jobs are paid with made up money.

18. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

I believe Andy is back with this week's episode [2/7/13]. At least, when I went to nbc.com to watch last week's, they were promoting his return for the next episode.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  19. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was made up but she got Sabre to accept that it was her position in the branch.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

One episode of Andy coming back and I really wish he hadn't come back. I almost forgot how annoying they had made him.

I did love Dwight's impression of him though.