Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 25 2013, 01:55 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Branchless/Net-Only Banks: Experience, suggestions?

So with a branchless bank, how do you know which ATMs you can use without a fee? Do they tell you flat-out?

And there's no problem depositing checks into an ATM that does not belong to your bank?
Old February 25 2013, 04:43 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My Credit Union's ATMs will take endorsed checks and cash deposits. No coins though.

It has to be one of their machines.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 05:36 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm really not sure why you're rolling your eyes. I literally can't function without a physical place to take my money. I do most of my banking online, but I still need a place to go in order to actually get my money into my account.
In the US, almost every convenience store sells inexpensive money orders.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
So with a branchless bank, how do you know which ATMs you can use without a fee? Do they tell you flat-out?

And there's no problem depositing checks into an ATM that does not belong to your bank?
Ally Bank, formerly GMAC (General Motors Acceptance Corporation), is an online, branch-less bank. They let you deposit checks online by scanning the document. They also do not charge ATM fees AND reimburse other banks' ATM fees.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sector 7; February 25 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 05:41 AM   #19
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I use USAA as well like another poster. (I'm active Army) and USAA refunds up to a certain dollar amount/numerb of transactions ATM fees each month.

I don't use ATMs to much when I'm back stateside, so I've never gone over the amount that USAA has as a cut-off for monthly ATM fee refunds.

As for checks for deposit, I'm old fashion. I mail them to the main USAA branch in San Antonio. Yeah it takes a bit longer, but it works for me.
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 11:03 AM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I'm really not sure why you're rolling your eyes. I literally can't function without a physical place to take my money. I do most of my banking online, but I still need a place to go in order to actually get my money into my account.
But again, getting a money order would be a completely inefficient use of my time.
Old February 25 2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

But again, getting a money order would be a completely inefficient use of my time.
And this response is completely inefficient use of my time and yet here it is. Why did you even look in this thread if you had no interest, to troll?

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:23 PM   #22
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Gaseous Anomaly wrote: View Post
And this response is completely inefficient use of my time and yet here it is. Why did you even look in this thread if you had no interest, to troll?
Overreact much? I don't understand the hostility over such a mundane topic. And please don't accuse people of trolling.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:32 AM   #23
SeerSGB
Admiral

Right now I'm looking into Wells Fargo, Capital One 360, and Ally. But I'm not completely sold on the ideal of going branchless. It seems like the best solution but, thankfully, there's still enough to to research a little further. I like having a flesh and blood office to visit when there's a issue.
Old February 26 2013, 07:22 AM   #24
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Right now I'm looking into Wells Fargo, Capital One 360, and Ally. But I'm not completely sold on the ideal of going branchless. It seems like the best solution but, thankfully, there's still enough to to research a little further. I like having a flesh and blood office to visit when there's a issue.
We currently use Wells Fargo, but they are constantly threatening to charge a maintenance fee. That is why I have been researching Ally and other branchless banking. I won't bank at Bank of America because of the abuse of mortgage holders, including robo-signing. (I know several banks did that, but B of A was the leader of this practice.)