Myth of the fake geek girl.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Data Holmes, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

2. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The John Scalzi article someone linked to in the comments is also really worth reading.

I really can't see anyone who's desperate to make "geekdom" so exclusive as anything but a hipster. And does anyone at all give a shit about hipster's opinions?

Discussions about "girl geeks" annoy the crap out of me. I don't want to be singled out for having a vagina. I just want to be left alone and free to pursue my interests in Star Trek or whatever like everyone with a dick is. That's it.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You know, I read the article, and I don't even understand what the argument is. It seems like the author is more upset about the definition of the word "geek" than anything.

4. slackbladder

slackbladder Lieutenant Junior Grade

they deserve it.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Io9 is part of the gawker media empire. they have a vested interest in trying to milk as much money as possible out of nerd rage.

6. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quoted for emphasis.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Excellent analysis, my dear boy!

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad I read this. As a Real Geek Girl I had no idea I was supposed to be outraged.

9. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

What I get from this is not anything wrong with geeks who happen to be girls--but rather just how insecure so many men are in their sexuality (or perhaps more accurately, insecure about others' perceptions of their sexuality). It is not perceived, in our society, as degrading the femininity of women for them to have "masculine" interests. But for a man to have any interest that happens to overlap with those of a woman...society immediately starts throwing around sexual slurs as though a) that guy can't be straight and b) if he isn't there's something wrong with him. :rolleyes:

(Yeah, I know there are sometimes instances where women will get the same treatment, being accused of being lesbians because of "masculine" interests. But as a whole, I would say women are much less hung up about their sexuality, and more secure in it and accepting of others--whether gay or straight--than men.)

Add to that that you have more than a fair share of those who are generally insecure or immature socially, in the geek community, and it's not surprising to think that some of those insecure men would react as though it's territorial encroachment, for a woman to hold a combination of "geek" interests and "stereotypically female" interests.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The author seems to create boxes and labels in the first portion of her essay, and then laments the creation of boxes and labels by the conclusion of her essay.

That, too. She talks about how the guys have to protect, almost ruthlessly, some modicum of masculinity, but I'm not seeing that anywhere. I guess you're supposed to be outraged, and I'm supposed to be desperately masculine? Honestly, I'm not sure what the author is trying to say here.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Exactly. I feel like there is some huge backstory that I'm missing.

I always thought guys liked geek girls. Especially hot ones with glasses.

12. thestrangequark

It was all worth the fact that I have now added "desperately masculin" to my personal phrasebook.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Not that he needed it, but Scalzi's reply wins if only for the Lord of the Flies reference alone. Well said.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Not to be disgusting, but most of the geeks I know salivate at the prospect of a girlfriend who loves comics, sci-fi, and fantasy like they do. It's practically a match made in heaven!

I live to serve. :D

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

16. thestrangequark

^:lol: That was great!

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Honestly, I suspect part of it is the anger that there can be someone who shares their interests but still doesn't like them. At least if they "weren't geeks" they wouldn't share the same interests and that can be grounds for rejection. Once they find someone unobtainable who says they share the same interests, they have to pretend that person isn't real and is just faking it.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not even sure what geek means anymore - from the stereotypes presented - since I can see my own dick, don't have a throat beard and don't dress like a homeless person or have a house full of toys - does that mean I'm not a geek?

So what is a geek?

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that's a good analysis.