Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Cartoonist

Cartoonist Captain Captain

I'm not. He's struck me as primarily a businessman ever since the late '80s. Besides, Disney did a great job with The Avengers, so I'm not worried.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Only that I had no idea that random bounty hunter chick in one of the trailers for The Old Republic had a name. I should have known better; this is Star Wars, everyone gets a name eventually.

I'm getting rusty. :lol:

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Heck, she got an action figure with interchangeable heads in the Hasbro Vintage Collection a couple of months ago. ;)

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, the EU is canon only insofar as it's not contradicted by the films and television shows.

Which ones are you referring to? I haven't read anything that suggests this. If you're talking about the simply titled Star Wars that Brian Wood is writing, then it won't be contradicting anything from what I've read - it will merely be approached from the perspective of characters who know nothing except what they would have known after the Battle of Yavin.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Substitute Harry Potter with Star Wars.

*sigh* Guess HP was ruined from day one. :(

That is not the same thing. It would be like Marvel Comics Properties being put under the management of Disney Publishing, which certainly didn't happen. The only thing that did happen was Marvel getting Crossgen and ruining a second chance for those properties in true Marvel style.

6. cooleddie74

Don't you dare compare HP with Star Wars again.

Beast. ;) :devil:

7. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

This is shocking news. Lucas has had control of SW from the beginning and I thought he was never going to let it go. Now he waits this long, I don't get it. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm saying I don't get it. I think this could be a great thing for SW as long as it's handled correctly and has good characters and good writing. I hope they don't start Disneying it up, they did fine with the Avengers, so if they can let creative people do their thing, then SW can last a long time. The one thing that does bother me is, though Lucas screwed up the PT, I've always liked his general vision for SW. The classic Greek myth themes, themes of falling Republics, corruption and so on. I just think that he should have let somebody else write direct and star in the PT. I would love to see a post ROJ SW. I would love to see the continuance of the Skywalker family saga or other main characters. It seems that maybe episode seven and the sequel trilogy was already in the works, so I'm guessing Lucas may still have some influence. I would also guess that since everyone is familiar with the Skywalker name, the first set of sequels will involve another Skywalker (maybe a father, son team up :cool:). The second trilogy will probably take another direction, I think. I just hope they don't make it cheesy, oversaturate us and put in explosions and CGI in the place of dialog, exposition or other character developments.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably trying to secure his legacy and get more cash too.

9. cooleddie74

Wow, all of this news about a film and a new trilogy that won't even be out for almost three more years and we have yet to see the first real teaser poster for Star Trek Into Darkness. I wonder what's taking Paramount so long?

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Duncan Jones directing Star Wars? ...yeah, that would be pretty awesome. Neil Blomkamp also comes to mind.

Literally the only stuff they have to actually avoid contradicting, per the Star Wars canon policy, are the previous six movies. It's a much smaller canon problem than the one Abrams sidestepped with alternate universes in his Star Trek, so I think they'll be fine.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

As this is the biggest confirmed sci-fi news in decades, maybe ever, 4 threads in the forum sounds about a little light :lol:

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if we'll get enough traffic to justify bringing back the Star Wars forum.

...probably not.

But still!

Let me just randomly dial back here for a second. I remember when the Star Wars trilogy was something that was made before I was even born. And then I remember the rumours that there'd be a new trilogy, and using my dial-up internet to grab a heavily pixellated version of this trailer:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o[/yt]
    And watching it over and over.

New Star Wars. That was a weird rush. And here I was pretending that I was perfectly fine and totally over George Lucas' Star Wars movies.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I can't believe this. I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it.
    I've liked a lot of Disney live action stuff they've done lately (the four Pirates, Prince of Persia, Tron Legacy, Avengers) so I trust them to find the right people for this. I think I'm more interested in a Disney produced SW trilogy than I would be if it were still entirely Lucas.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah! I can remember when the original Star Wars came out and was the biggest thing in human history! People waiting in line for a movie - impossible! People seeing the same movie more than once - insane! People seeing the same movie a dozen or a hundred times - one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse for sure!!!

And yeah, I also remember rumblings about a trilogy of trilogies aaaaaaallllll the way back then. This Master Plan is a long time in the making.

15. KalEl

So, with this news, is the internet going to finally blow up and should we start an episode 7 news, pics rumors ect. page?

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Trek BBS used to have a dedicated Star Wars subforum back during the PT era. I wouldn't be surprised to see it reopened, since a new trilogy plus all the other Star Wars miscellany would produce plenty of traffic to make keeping it open worthwhile.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Be interesting to see how the EU itself would deal with this.

18. KalEl

Yeah, I supose Star Wars movies will be pumped as fast as Harry Potter or Twighlight or POTC now.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

MY GOD. This is as if MacDonald's bought the Statue of Liberty and we had to wait until 2015 to see if they painted her crown red!!!!!!

Actually I think it's fabulous.

20. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Lucasfilm will exist as a separate entity within the Disney Empire, and Kathleen Kennedy will head the division, and is the Lucas appointed head of the Star Wars franchise. So, fans shouldn't be up in arms or entertaining gloom and doom scenarios. With Kennedy at the helm, she will be the one picking people to write and direct, not the higher ups at The House of Mouse.