Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

I would have preferred a "Son of Superman" style resolution to the sub-plot with Jason. I think too I would have Clark reveal who he is to Lois. I do think the whole plot with Jason is the most interesting aspect of this synopsis though.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

"Brainiac" - really, thats the name of the villian, a little pinky & the brain don't you think. It sounds just like something a comic book would do as a story and thats my problem with it because its so out of this world that the general movie audience probably wouldn't like it nor be interested in...Superman is such a costly film to make it needs find the right balance between pleasing the hardcore crowd and not scaring off the casual moviegoer.

Also the whole AI angle gives me bad Superman 3 feelings with a super computer.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, piss off.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it would be well publicized that Brainiac would be the villain so it would be pointless to play this game.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Not necessarily. They probably would have tried to pull a Ra's/Ducard like they did with Batman Begins. Something might have gotten out, but I can see them trying to keep the twist under wraps.

6. Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

Sounds kind of interesting, but frankly I want to get away from this mindset that making a mediocre movie is acceptable as some kind of setup for "my Wrath of Khan". IMO if you make a mediocre movie, you get booted from the franchise, as it should be.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Err, yeah, Brainiac has been a villain in Superman comics since 1958. He's pretty much Superman's primary archnemesis other than Luthor. If you've ever heard someone being called a "brainiac," it was a reference to that character (whose name was in turn a reference to the prototype computer ENIAC as well as a play on "maniac").

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

While not perfect, this does sound to have the potential to have been really good. Action, emotion, dilemna, sacrifice. And as Jackson Archer said, Singer has form on making sequels that really improve on the original.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So ... uh ... When did Brainiac become a Borg? :wtf:

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, really? Fantastic Four was mediocre but got a sequel. Ghost Rider was pretty mediocre but is getting a sequel. The Da Vinci Code was pretty mediocre, but that got a sequel. Those stupid Cats and Dogs and SuperBabies movies get sequels all the time.

There's no end to Hollywood greenlighting sequels to mediocre and even bad films. Superman Returns was lightyears better than any of those aforementioned films. Bryan Singer is a very talented director who has made some incredibly entertaining and good movies (The Usual Suspects, X-Men, X-Men 2, Valkyrie) and he deserved the chance to make a better film with the sequel. He proved he could do it with X2, and despite what most fanboys will tell you, Superman Returns wasn't that bad.

There's no justice in the world when mediocre trash like Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider get sequels but Superman Returns does not.

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Superman Returns was worse than being a bad film ... it was simply bland. The sequel idea is, if nothing else, bizarre (Kryptonite moon, clones, fast-aging Superboy, killing one's own child). I still think it's most valuable element is the conflict of ideologies between Superman leaving humanity on its own and Brainiac's desire to intervene -- especially if Brainiac had been portrayed as less of a mustache-twirling villain as suggested in the outline. If that had happened, the film would have had some significant resonance with audiences.

12. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought you watched Smallville. He was an antagonist on the show for a while, if we're talking recent incarnations of the character that the general public may be familiar with. Not to mention his numerous appearances in the various DC animated series/films. But, yeah, as Christopher pointed out, Brainiac has been a Superman villain for over 50 years.

13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

For me this was a trilogy that was completed(as if Superman III and Superman IV:Quest For Peace never existed):

Superman The Movie 1978
    Superman II 1981
    Superman Returns 2006

The next Bryan Singer sequel sounds very interesting, but since it will never be, I will take a chance on the Zack Snyder rebooting.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Much as I dislike Superman Returns, that actually sounds like a pretty good movie and I would have enjoyed it. That said, I'm sure the Nolan/Synder version will be much better!

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, give the next guy the chance to start over and make his mediocre movie instead. Then the next guy... :lol:

I mean, your statement doesn't actually have anything to do with how anyone involved - studio, directors, etc - actually approach these projects.

"Ah, this is my first time at bat so I won't try that hard. 'Mediocre' is good enough, because I'll do really well on the second one. After all, I know that they'll keep me on."

Yeah, that's the "mindset" and those are the expectations that motivate the way things are done. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Brainiac has been many things over the course of his existence. He was originally just a bald green alien with a pink shirt and a pet monkey. Then he was retconned into an android (to avoid legal conflict with a "build a computer" product of the same name by making the character a weird sort of tie-in to the product), though he still looked largely the same. In the '80s, he was revamped into a more blatantly robotic form, perhaps influenced by The Terminator. Then in the John Byrne reboot, he became a green-skinned alien again, and used telepathy to take over the mind of a human circus performer, of all things, in order to wreak havoc on Earth. Then the human Brainiac had a duplicate of his alien body manufactured, but it was still organic.

But then Superman: TAS introduced an impressive new version of the robotic Brainiac, who was a clear influence on the Brainiac in this treatment: he was responsible for the death of Kryptonian civilization (by concealing the fact of the planet's imminent doom), he could download his consciousness into duplicate bodies, and in some stories he had multiple duplicate bodies in reserve.

So the comics followed suit and had Brainiac switch to a robotic body, which was then changed into a body made of countless nanobots. Then, more recently, Geoff Johns introduced a version that amalgamated pretty much all the earlier versions, introducing a "real" humanoid-alien Brainiac of whom the others had simply been created avatars.

And then there's the Smallville version which is the "Brain InterActive Construct," again going with the "rogue Kryptonian AI" version from S:TAS, but functioning more like the T-1000 Terminator, a shapechanging "liquid metal" entity.

17. Admiral_Young

I prefer calling the Smallville version a biomorphic entity. I believe there is an episode where he calls himself similar.

18. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

[​IMG]

19. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

20. Admiral_Young

The one issue of Joe Kelly's that was actually decent was JLA#90 where he put a stop to any kind of potential Wonder Woman/Batman romance with an entire issue dedicated to why they shouldn't be together. It culminated with Bruce lamenting that anything between them would ultimately end up being a Greek tragedy to which of course Diana laughed. It pissed a lot of fans off who were hoping the two would get together...of course a relationship was hinted on screen at the time too thanks to JLU.