Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How is the goal post being shifted? He chose the Oxford dictionary. If I choose another dictionary are you going to say I shifted the goal post, because I didn't use the dictionary you wanted me to? That tactic is not going to work with me.:lol:

The term references god as being all-powerful; therefore, my argument is valid.

The term god as described by the Yahoo! dictionary:

A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.​

So, now what? Do we find every dictionary on the planet and tally up which ones refer to god as all-powerful and which do not, then make a comparison?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Em.. forgot to change accounts?

Now turning to the the actual definition:

I don't see the words 'all-powerful' in there.

3. Luminus

Omnipotent means all-powerful. "Change accounts" what does that mean?

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think the "he" is you, not him. So it's more a failure to look who he is responding to than any other accusation (which, if you believed to be true, should be handled my notifying a moderator anyway).

5. Luminus

Oh, I wrote "he" instead of "you".:lol: I'm participating in other discussions simultaneously, so it's causing some confusion.

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here is supposition based on the film. In the first movie, Odin removed Thor's power. This shows Asgardians have the ability to control their power levels.

Odin the programmed (enchanted) the Hammer to bestow the power of Thor upon who so ever be found worthy. Does the power of Thor now reside in he hammer, and not the man?

If that is the case, Thor and Jane should be able to consummate their relationship without injury or death.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Utterly incorrect at any point in history including today.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The god of a monotheistic faith is considered all-powerful, but the gods of polytheistic faiths and traditions -- such as Norse mythology -- are lower-tier beings. Essentially most world religions have had both a single overarching entity inhabiting or embodying the universe as a whole and a larger population of lower-tier divinities with more limited powers and local responsibilities. But in polytheistic faiths, the emphasis is on the multiple lower-tier beings while the overarching one is more distant and inchoate, like Ouranos for the Greeks, or often more an impersonal force of nature like Tian (Heaven) in Chinese belief or Brahman in Hinduism. Whereas in monotheistic faiths, the emphasis shifts to the single cosmic being as the focus of worship, and the lower-tier divinities are demoted from "god" status and reinterpreted as lesser supernatural entities like angels, saints, djinn, demons, etc.

So how "god" is defined depends on which faith you're talking about. In the context of Norse mythology, the gods were not all-powerful.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Odin gave up an eye for Omniscience.

The Donald Blake enchantment/curse was lifted 30 years ago, and Donald was "revealed" to be a thing invented by Odin to act as Thor's vessel 15 years ago.

One thing that I simply adored in the 90s, was the Marvel Universe Book of Age of Apocalypse, where it showed Donald Blake sans Thor, never found the hammer, and he's part of the underground trying to save the earth from the Mutant occupation after some time travel cock up killed Xavier before he founded the X-Men.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fitz (kind of) got his monkey for his birthday. (In celebration of Ian De Caestecker's birthday Joe Quesada and Paul Mounts illustration in the link which features Fitz with an A.I. holographic monkey. This is the first time a new Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. character has been officially drawn in a comic book style.)

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

13. Luminus

Thank you for that. All this hoopla over the word all-powerful was getting ridiculous.

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the first four or five episodes, then real life reared up and I've just been piling these up on my DVR. I thought I'd catch up during the Christmas/New Year's break, but that didn't happen. When I stopped watching, I thought the show was ok, but not the appointment viewing I had hoped for.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Increase your caffeine intake.

Add a couple hours to every day.

Maybe not for this shit, but imagine what you could do with another 3 hours every day?

16. Alidar Jarok

Eh, if you have a weekend, you might want to watch the remaining six or so hours in one sitting. I think it got better compared to those episodes. That being said, if you want to wait until after the 10th for reviews of whether the main mystery has gotten better, that would work too. Maybe MLK weekend would be a good time.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I really loved the first episode and thought the series had a lot of potential but it never really gelled after that. The two or three episodes before the break got a little better but the show really needs a lot more Wheadon involvement if it wants to be a keeper.

18. Alidar Jarok

Actually, I felt the pilot was a little too Wheddon, to the point that it was hard to relate to the characters. Starting with F.Z.Z.T., the episodes got much better and I think it's because I was able to relate to the characters better. Of the plot-driven episodes, Eye Spy might be the best, but it's not as good as the character-driven ones.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My take is that so far the show has been treading water with it's chin *just* above the mediocre mark. It has the potential to be a lot more interesting than it is, I just hope they change up a gear before too many people loose interest.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I still love it. :rommie: