Fringe on the Science channel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NCC1701MF, Nov 20, 2012.

1. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

A heads up for those who have the Science channel on cable.
    They will be rerunning Fringe from the beginning.
    They are running the Pilot and second episodes on Tuesday evening 11/20.
    Then starting on Friday morning they are running the first half of season 1, with the second half starting on Saturday morning.
    Next Tuesday 11/27, they will show the first three episodes of season 2.

Here's a link to the Fringe page on the Science channel's website
    http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/fringe

and the schedule
    http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/fringe/tv-schedule.htm

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess there not enough actual science in the world for a whole day's programming on a channel dedicated to science. And I guess there's too much crap movies and wrestling for the SyFy channel to run it.

There's something fundamentally wrong with cable TV.

3. NCC1701MF

The Science channel has also been showing Firefly.

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Wrestling on SyFy? Wow, things have changed since I last went to America (last time I watched that channel) 5 years ago... a lot. :(

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Gonna watch the pilot and see if I find anything worth watching.

6. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure what prompted The Science Channel to acquire the rerun rights to sci-fi series. They don't have a ton of new, original programming (I think they largely get by with airing "How Its Made" marathons, old science-related shows from Discovery's library, and then a sprinkling of new content like "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman"). Perhaps the acquisition cost was relatively low, and they figured they'd take a gamble and see how the ratings would do? "Firefly" was obviously a success for them, hence their recently-aired 10th anniversary special and their sponsorship/presence at Comic-Con to promote the series. So I guess they are going to push forward with more sci-fi. "Fringe" starts this week, and there are more shows coming up (though I am not sure if they have been announced).

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

You didn't see that coming when over 3 years go the History channel started to air Ancient Aliens? ;)

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The History Channel, now just "History" used to be known for Nazi's and UFOs, and sometimes the two crossed over. The channel was decent for awhile. Pawn Stars (Which I do love) changed all of that. However it still shows some historical things.

But year i have given up on cable TV channels. Might as well just use numbers instead of names, because they are all disregarding their names.

9. Forbin

...and Discovery shows rednecks doing stupid shit in swamps...

Yeah, I saw it coming, I was just restating it by way of whining. :)

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe The Science Channel will rebrand itself as The Science and Fiction Channel. They could start doing original science fiction and give SyFy some competition. Would be a win-win for the fans.

11. Forbin

Saw a promo on Science last night indicating that they'll be showing a LOT of sci fi show reruns - basically everything that's been of Fox in the last few years like Terra Nova and Dollhouse. Sigh.

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, this would be great. The channel has already shown they have pretty good taste in Sci Fi with the acquisitions of Fringe and Firefly, two of the best Sci Fi shows of their respective times.

13. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Maybe they'll even commission their own show where they have a young, innovative scientist who conducts an experiment with his own ship and finds himself thrown through the galaxy by a wormhole where he meets a strange group of aliens that include some escaped prisoners and a really hot, raven haired woman who he eventually falls for. Amazing adventures and hilarity ensue.

Hey, I can hope can't I?

14. NCC1701MF

The season 1 marathon this Friday and Saturday will have commentary by Dr. Michio Kaku. He's a theoretical physicist from NYU.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ And he used to have his own show about the science of Science Fiction. He's pretty cool.

The Analog: Science Fiction/Science Fact Channel. :rommie:

I do wish that channels would actually show what they are supposed to, though. I think the only channels that I watch that actually live up to their mission statements are TCM and MeTV.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Watched the first episode today. Seems like a solid show, but I got to be honest, a couple hours later and I couldn't remember the names of any of the characters. :eek:

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

When it first started, I watched the first two or three episodes. I liked it, but it just didn't catch on with me and I lost track of it. Not sure why, because the cast is great. When I heard it was coming to Science Channel, I thought I might give it another shot, but I don't have the time for these marathons. If they showed it once a day, I might be able to do it....