Buffy S4: "Beer Bad" - help me!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sisko_is_my_captain, Jan 30, 2010.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Thanks for reminding me how much of a bastard Joss Whedon is. The man just likes to rip our hearts out and piss all over them. :(

Yet we always keep coming back for more.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've gotten to a point where I get upset anytime I see his characters happy, just because I know that soon they'll probably be dead...or have their heart broken...or get turned evil....

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Or all three.

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

They named an episode "Beer Bad"? :wtf:

No other comment, just ... :wtf:

Alex

5. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I definitely winced when I saw Willow and Oz in bed together and happy. You could tell that wasn't going to end well if you watch enough Joss.

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same with a good percentage of "Once More With Feeling".

On the other hand, "The Zeppo" makes a really good intro ep.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think it's a reference to the end of season 3 myself (as well as what happens in the story) Buffy says her mind is on the level of "Fire bad, tree pretty" in Graduation. In Beer Bad the bar tender on the campus bar casts a spell on the beer that makes the guys who drink it revert to cavemen, Buffy happens to drink some too... and I think the "Fire bad, tree pretty" line is repeated by her towards the end.

Unless I'm totally misremembering both Graduation and Beer Bad.

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The only part of the episode I really liked was the end.

Xander: "So, what did we learn from this experience?"
    Buffy: "Beer foamy!"
    Xander: "Good, just so long as we're clear on that."

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no, um, the title "Beer Bad" was NOT intended to be a public service lecture on teen drinking. Too many people see it and assume that. It was meant to be a pun on the way the cavemen-devolved frat boys (and BuffY) spoke.

10. Forbin

Xander has one of his greatest moments as a human being when he confronts Buffy on her attitude toward Riley, and then goes home to tell Anya how he feels about her. Frickin brilliantly-written and delivered dialog.

All blown to hell in a later season, of course, 'cause we can't have anyone stay happy, can we?

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Beer Bad" is one of those few horrendously bad episodes of the series. I assure you that it is in no way a reflection of season four as a whole, or of the rest of the series from this point forward. Season four is kinda a weird year, and I think it was intended to be. It's a year of transition. The high school's gone (literally.... kaboom). Giles is out of work. Angel and Cordelia have skipped town for L.A. and the Willow/Oz breakup early in the season sends Oz away. The cast is undergoing a bit of an overhaul. We've got new characters coming into play (Riley, Tara), and familiar recurring players coming in full-time to fill in the gaps (Spike, Anya). The dynamic is changing a bit.

Season four has the weakest Big Bad and main story arc (the Initiative). However, there are a tremendously high number of strong individual episodes throughout the season (including "Fear Itself", "Pangs", "Something Blue", "Hush", "This Years Girl", "Who Are You?", "Restless"). The season ends on a high note, and season five is one of the series' strongest, IMO.

12. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Yes it was. :shifty:

13. This is one of those cases where they try too hard to make Buffy "real" (and that was all fairly realistic in terms of what your average girl might think/say) that they ignore the actual character of Buffy. Season 6 is another one of those cases.

Anyways, yes on the whole, S4 to 7 are significantly weaker. I do think Season 5 is a bright spot though, it's very tightly written, much better than the messy story arcs of the later seasons

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

In my opinion the only person allowed to say "Fire bad" was Phil Hartman, and even then only as Frankenstein. :p

Alex

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like you're think of the scene from "Into the Woods" which is season 5.

But RoJo's point is still valid. I've come to think "Restless" is the show's best episode (didn't used to) just because there's so much to it. I've seen it better than a dozen times and I can still pick up bits that I've never caught before. Of course, non so much as the first time you watch it after seeing later seasons. Tara's "Be back before Dawn," line, for example, probably went right over most people's heads at the time. And other little things like the suit Spike is wearing on the swing. Or the kitten who doesn't have name.

"Dream" sequences in TV shows can get a bit trite, and Joss manages not to do that while presenting a thematically and conceptually layered story.

I also think it's his best job as a director (at least from a camera stand point). The Xander chase sequence is the
    pinnacle shot of the show and really one of the premier sequences ever attempted on a TV program.

16. Sisko_is_my_captain

Remember, please, no spoilers for anything past mid-season 4.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The line sounds stupid, but it actually works incredibly well given the context of the scene.

18. Forbin

Was it? Darn!

19. Sisko_is_my_captain

Okay, I just watched 'Hush'. 'Beer Bad' is forgiven. Now if I could just synch up my Angel watching with my Buffy (I'm watching Angel on Hulu, so I just saw Faith arrive in LA before she left Sunnydale - doh!)

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry. I was trying to be as vague as possible.