So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I actually prefer the Starship Troopers movie to the book, since the movie recognizes that fascism is something to be satirized rather than sincerely endorsed.

2. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG: The Stuff of Dreams

The New Age of Innovation by CK Prahalad and M.S Krishnan

CK Prahalad, the Mind of The Futurist

Losing my Virginity by Sir Richard Branson

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I just finished "The Missing" by Una McCormack, and move to Trill from "Worlds of DS9".

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently halfway through Una McCormack's Deep Space Nine: The Missing. Enjoying this one!

Just started reading Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Volume One: Cardassia: The Lotus Flower, also by Una McCormack.

I also just published my annual "Year in Review" on Trek Lit Reviews. A bit of a banner year for Trek Lit, in my opinion! We got some really great books this year.

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great Year in Review, Kertrats47!

But the end of your piece left me with a few questions:

*Peter David's New Frontier book is going to be separated into eNovellas? My understanding was that it was going to be released in one trade paperback volume, like the last few New Frontier books.

*You have the title of Greg Cox's next novel and its release scheduled -- is this brand new info or has this been revealed some where else?

My curiosity is definitely piqued.:)

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.startrek.com/article/preview-star-trek-books-coming-in-2015

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished Una's DS9: The Missing, so I'm going to jump back into the last volume of the Myriad Universe books :)

8. Sto-Vo-Kory

That clears things up. Thanks for the link, Defcon! :)

9. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm really excited about the return of New Frontier in whatever format we get. I already pre ordered the paperback on Amazon, but I realize that's no guarantee that it'll actually be released in that format.
    It is kind of fitting if it was relaunched at least at first as novellas, since that's how the series got it's start. I do feel that's kind of a rip off, as they get you to spend more money that way. I'd rather get the whole book in one big complete package, but dang it, I'll still buy it if that's my only way to get it.

10. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished the Star Trek: Nero comic.

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Missing by Una McCormack.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I would be interested in the story behind the 3 e-books instead of one novel. If you're going to be writing what is probably pretty much equivalent to a novel length story, I would think it would be simpler to just release it as a single novel, rather than splitting it into novellas. The fact that it was originally announced as a novel makes the whole situation especially interesting.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the other hand, there are only so many novel slots available in a single year. Now that the e-novella line is becoming a regular thing, it creates more openings in the schedule.

13. Sto-Vo-Kory

Good point: there is a nice symmetry to ending the series with slim installments, mirroring the unique way that that it began.

But I also suspect this is a ploy to milk more money out the New Frontier fans that, like you expressed, will buy the big finale regardless of what form it takes or asking a higher price. I enjoy and support the eNovella program, but S&S have gotten pretty lax about producing physical copies of their ePublishings in recent years and I would like to own a dead tree edition of this New Frontier volume to complete my set on the bookshelf.

(I would also like physical copies of the remaining CoE novellas, a Slings and Arrrows collection, Christopher's eNovellas, and a few other eBook exclusives that have been released -- but that's an issue for another time ;))

14. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Still slow at reading. Still going through Season 2 of TNG and about to start Season 3 of "Buffy". Completed the "Rebels" trilogy by Daffyd ab Hugh (1999, ST-DS9 #24-26) and also read "In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination" by Margaret Atwood (2011). Then, just read "Heart of the Sun" (ST-TOS #83) by Pamela Sargent & George Zebrowski (1997). Rewriting the laws of nature ... hmmm ... impressive!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished DTI: The Collectors. I hope to see more in the future.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, at this point tablets, smart phones, and other devices you can read e-books on are so common, I have to question if it would really be worth it to release physical copies of the e-novellas. The only people who would probably buy them are collectors like you, and the few holdouts who don't read on devices.

17. SebastianDT

SebastianDT Cadet Newbie

Just finished DTI: The collectors. One hell of a ride. Want more ;)

Now I'm halfway through Articles of the Federation. I don't want it to end.

18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Game of Thrones: A storm of swords, so its going to take a long time before i'm going back to the star trek universe :)

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And authors who want to have bound copies on their shelves, not just floating around in a cloud somewhere . . . :)

20. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I can't wait until life is stable enough that I can buy a book case or two and start filling them with books again. Having to donate all of my books except a a few special ones to charity because I couldn't afford to move them a couple years ago was heartbreaking.

Until then, I'm in the Cloud.