Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I'm reading the new Fantastic Four.

They are dropping continuity that seems to line up with recent history.

But those awful new red costumes force me to believe that this is not 616.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new Fantastic Four is okay, better than Fraction's run on the main book. It seems to be a bit of a "loose" reboot of sorts continuity wise unless Robinson is just ignoring Fraction and Hickman's runs? I really haven't been able to tell.

3. Guy Gardener

Oh no, issue 3, which I just read, mentioned both Johnny Dying, and being reborn in the Negative Zone, as well as the tour of time and space they took looking for a cure to their mysterious illness, and Valeria seeming pissed about being lied to about how her family were all weeks away from dying and they said nothing... Which is the most childlike thing she has done in years.

Personally I'm still holding a grudge for all that Santa Claus bullshit they pulled.

In issue three they also mentioned Johnny's Skrull wife, which seemed like a teaser for things to come.

So yes, even despite all that... I still think it's the wrong Earth.

4. Admiral_Young

I've yet to get to the latest issue...but that's good. It's kind of weird they haven't really done anything post Hickman...which isn't surprising his run set the bar high for anyone to follow him IMO. This is supposed to be "The Fall" so maybe they're getting ready to do something big afterwards with them or something? I dunno.

5. Guy Gardener

We saw aftermath of the fall in issue one.

Everything since then has been one of them writing a letter set "X" months earlier.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty dull to be honest - didn't we just do this?

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well technically Reed is the only one amongst the Illuminati who never really paid the piper for his involvement in Civil War, World War Hulk and the Skrull Invasion.

8. Admiral_Young

Fraction's run had funky things going on with their powers. Robinson's seems to have taken that concept up to the next level though where they are dying or whatever.

Hickman has promised that the Illuminati will be exposed soon and there will be consequences from it this time.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wow. "Original Sin" has yet to even begin, and Marvel is already pushing the next event...

AXIS

So glad I'm skipping OS as it looks like "AXIS" (An AvX sequel? Or just going to the well again ?) will probably crash directly into to many books I buy to ignore.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. Hound of UIster

OS, the story, actually sounds promising. You should check out the zero issue with Nova, good stuff. Not too sure about some of the revelations though.

All the others (except Reed) pretty much lost everything at one point or another due to their machinations. Xavier, Namor, Black Bolt, Stark and Dr. Strange all lost what defined them. Everyone but Reed.

12. Admiral_Young

Original Sin the actual event seems very interesting and it will be equally interesting to see if Jason Aaron can pull off what editorial thinks he can since he appears to be elevated to an Architect. The ties-ins don't really interest me that much to be honest as I mentioned above.

Why does it surprise people that Marvel and DC would promote things they want us to buy and read early? They've both been doing this for quite some time now.

13. Hound of UIster

I hope not. Aaron is good with individual stories. But he is terrible at worldbuilding.

14. Admiral_Young

Jonathan Hickman revealed on a Reddit AMA that he will wrap up his Avengers run next May and that issue five of "S.H.I.E.L.D" is done, they're waiting for Dustin Weaver to finish issue six. I'm guessing we'll finally see it released by the end of the year.

15. Hound of UIster

Honestly after the revelations in the newest issue, Avengers is pretty much a third wheel to New Avengers where most of the action is.

It's also interesting if you check out the credits for New Avengers, Wil Moss, one of the DC editors who refused to go to Burbank edited it and you can see he is pretty much responsible for snagging Rags Morales for New Avengers.

16. Admiral_Young

Yep...I've often said that New Avengers is the better book as it is seeding everything else going on in the other books right now. I believe Hickman stated it was the "heart and soul" book when he first started on it.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

For many many months now all the Hickman Avengers books have been completely spinning their wheels. I am so sick of reading endless issues of Alt-Earths blowing up. What is the point of this endless repetition??? Nothing ever happens in these books. "Avengers World" is the only book where anything is happening, and even that is at a glacial pace (did we really need an entire issue of nothing but Shang-Chi and the Gorgan trading punches?).

Don't get me wrong it's an interesting story, but it needs to GO SOMEWHERE.

There was one notable event out of the three (!) Hickman Avengers books released today; Banner joined the Illuminati.

18. Hound of UIster

The Illuminati is fighting the JLA next issue.

19. Admiral_Young

Hickman builds his runs using a slow burn...he expects you to pay attention to all the things that he seeds for the big pay off. The first pay off was Infinity. The second pay off will be Original Sin...remember apparently he was supposed to co-write at first before they settled on giving Aaron solo duties. To say nothing is happening means either you're not paying attention or don't understand what he's doing.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I definitely understand what he's going for, I'm just saying it's horribly repetitive. How many Alt-Earths do we need to see blow up to get his story told? At this point he's literally using a thinly veiled DC Universe pastiche.

If I was paying $4 a pop for these issues I'd be pissed :lol:

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing some more everyday crime fighting as well. Every issue of the many many Avengers issues this past ?year? have dealt with the Crisis on Infinite Earths to some degree (the AIM storyline feeds right into that). What are the normal super villains doing during all this?