World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There wasn't anything in "Star Trek Enterprise" other than one episode - the one about the Borg ship in Antartica - that required the movie "First Contact" to have taken place.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I usually just assume that Kirk was 40 in TMP, 50 in TWOK and 60 in TUC.

I don't know if that fits in the timeline... and I don't care.

Didn't James Cromwell appear in the premiere as Zefram Cochrane?

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Kirk says something like "How can I get back to the Enterprise if i've been thrown off it!"

To which Spock says "Then you are not commander of the Enterprise?"

Which I assumed meant that because he was on the Enterprise, Spock assumed he was Captain, and the fact that he'd been thrown off it is what threw Spock, not the year.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, in a recording of the Warp 5 Complex ground breaking ceremony.

Screencap:
    http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x01/brokenbow_175.jpg

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

But that does not require the whole plotline of First Contact of Borgs and the Enterprise D crew to have happened. Just that Zefram Cochrane, a long established character, is played by James Cromwell.

You think he should look like Glenn Corbett? By that reasoning Chris Pine should look like Shatner! ;)

6. Kelso

Looking at that picture, I just realized that Captain Archer's dad was played by Duck Phillips from Mad Men... funny that the next post was by Donald Draper.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Ha! Ha! Good catch!

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

My intent was not to imply that the storyline of First Contact had to have happened. I was answering the direct question of James Cromwell playing Cochrane in "Broken Bow" and providing the screencap. I suppose I should've just quoted the question I was answering and not the whole bit about FC beforehand from Dennis, which hence probably caused the inference.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes, but Cochrane was already established in "Metamorphosis." The fact that he was quite sensibly played by the actor who'd played him in "First Contact" implies nothing about whether any of the time-incursion events in that movie would have taken place - nowhere is it ever suggested that Cochrane spontaneously mutated (or metamorphized, sorry) from being Glen Corbett to being James Cromwell because Picard came back in time from the 24th century. Cochrane existed and invented warp flight either way.

By the same token, interestingly enough, the "Mirror Universe" episode of "Star Trek Enterprise" opens with the meeting between Cochrane and the Vulcans as shown at the end of "First Contact" while completely sidestepping the question of whether Mirror-Picard and his mirror crew were involved in any way.

EDIT: Draper beat me to this, and with a great deal less verbosity. :lol:

10. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

REALLY entertaining flick! Loved the in-references and most of the "new" stuff.

Won't go into detail, but I'm giving it ***1/2 out of four. Half off one star because I felt the framing story and villain weren't as strong or interesting as the rest of the flick.

And I'm so glad I AVOIDED SPOILERS for all this time. So much of WHAT happens is great in the film. Knowing about it ahead of time would have drained so much of the enjoyment away.

--Ted

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  11. Kelso

Oh, you were talking about the in-universe history... I thought you were referring to the real-life Trek production history.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Oh, in terms of production history Enterprise requires everything that was produced before it to have happened. :lol:

Whereas Abrams's movie only requires bits and pieces.

13. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe this has been discussed already, but the thread is 77 pages long. Forgive me if I've missed "a page or two" ;).

Has anyone who's seen the movie explained HOW Spock knows to travel back in time to set things right?

Does he know ahead of time what Nero has in mind and sort of travel back in time alongside him, or what?

If Nero changed the timeline first, Spock shouldn't have known anything was wrong or needed to be "fixed".

Is this explained in the film?

14. TGTheodore

^^^ Yes.

--Ted

15. Jessop

Jessop Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Spock doesn't voluntarily travel back in time, neither does Nero, they are both pulled through the singularity and emerge in the past. So Spock doesn't go back in time to fix things, he just tries to once he realises where he is and how Nero has affected the timeline. Spock knows something is wrong because he and nero are from another timeline, the changes created an alternate universe, they didnt change history in a single timeline.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

They haven't because Spock doesn't know and his time-travel is not a conscious choice on his part.

17. jedarsena

jedarsena Cadet Newbie

I saw the advanced screening here in Oklahoma City Saturday. I had mixed feeling going into the movie, and just sad one's when I left. There was simply no reason to erase all star trek history which is what this movie does. Kill Kirk's dad and Spock's mother, Destroy Vulcan, Spock and Uhura are lovers. Old Spock says "a star went nova and threatened to destroy the galaxy" Give me a brake, that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. Oh no Kirk going from a recruit about to get kicked out of starfleet academey then promoted to the rank of captain of the Enterprise in a mater of hours is even more ridiculous. I don't care if you can be a natural leader, it takes years of experience to learn to be responsible for a ship and all her crew. They do throw jokes in there just for fans. Some are funny, some are very lame.
    The starship scene's were too short as well. The trailers and comercials make the battles look long and impressive, but they were short and just kinda average.

Obviously i'm disgruntled after I saw the movie, I feel like they just crapped on us fans. Paramount could have made a movie with all the action and excitement drawing in ticket sales and not destroyed the Star Trek history.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

From what I hear, by the time he sets foot on the Enterprise in this film, Kirk has technically graduated from the Academy - with the rank of Lieutenant. Which, I might add, he did in the original timeline as well.

19. Spinstorm

Spinstorm Ensign Newbie

I want to comment on the last guys post on the film.

I agree the battles could have been longer but as for being dissapointed and sad?

Seriously?

I don't understand people who call themselves fans but want to have a future withOUT any films or TV shows... because that is what every guy that says the film is bad or messed up or whatever reason you have for changing cannon says...

Accept a new fun exciting Star Trek and forget cannon... its not real life. Its science-fiction and things change.

We have an amazing new film that I can't wait to see again this week and a bright future for Star Trek so everyone that feels diffrently needs to get over themselves and act like true fans who want success!

20. TGTheodore

Same here. When it opens publicly, I'm going back to see it again on an even bigger screen than I did at the press screening.

--Ted