The Prisoner (original)...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, May 1, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Prisoner isn't the kind of show that gives answers to anything. If something about it is mysterious and inexplicable, that was probably the intent.

Still, we are in the part of the season that was largely filler -- just general stories set in the Village, rather than advancing the central narrative like the core seven.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

So far I've watched 10 of 17 episodes. It's been a good ride so far and I think I've been able to follow it pretty well. My general mindset is to try not taking whatever I see literally and interpret a lot of it symbolically.

Of comes 6 has already given his reason for resigning, when he resigned. But the mentality seems to be his former masters don't believe him. They can't accept one of their own just walking away---there has to be an unspoken ulterior motive.

But the series really isn't about that. It's really a cynical look at the kind of society (societies) we've created for ourselves. And by "cynical" I don't mean in a negative reactionary way, but as a healthy way of questioning what we can often take for granted.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just watched an episode of Danger Man, something I've never seen before. John Drake has some similarity of character with Number 6, but The Prisoner seems a more serious minded show and Number 6 more hard edged than John Drake. Then again being imprisoned against your will would tend to make one more hardened.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I saw a few episodes of Danger Man years ago, and it left an impression. It had a very memorable main title theme (and I mean the original harpsichord-and-horns piece, not "Secret Agent Man").

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think the word you're looking for is skeptical. Patrick McGoohan was entirely for people being more skeptical---of progress, of corporations, of herd mentality and authority in general.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Now, could someone tell me just what exactly is written on the envelope Number 6 throws down on the desk in the opening credits. I've been trying to read it and I can't.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the first season of Danger Man, with the half-hour episodes. Nice, snappy, out there adventures. I got bored in the second season, though-- they dragged too much.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even of his own work as well? ;)

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The series could also be a take on working for the television or entertainment industry as whole.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It says "PRIVATE-PERSONAL-BY HAND"

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Change Of Mind" **

Number 6 is subjected to conversion therapy to cure his independent behaviour.

This seemed like filler that just bored me. It's just one more variation of trying to make Number 6 conform and share his secret(s). Another not-that-inspired version on how we're all pressured to conform either willingly or forcibly.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Your opinion is wrong. Everybody loves this episode. You will love it, too. Delete your post and enter the correct opinion to avoid a penalty.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't mind being unmutual. :lol:

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Hammer Into Anvil" ****

A suicide pits Number 6 against the new Number 2.

Whats satisfying about this one is watching Number 6 do nonsensical things that mess with Number 2's head and turning him into a psychological wreck. And so after promising to break Number 6 it's Number 2 who is broken by his own paranoia. Nice. :techman:

It was even funnier because even as Number 2 was trying to figure out what Number 6 was up to the answer was staring him in the face, just like Number 6's reason for resigning. :lol:

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I LOVE that episode. Turning the Village and the constant surveillance into a weapon against Number 2---outsmarting him, since he can't out fight or outrun him---is just brilliant. No one does cool, steely-eyed determination like McGoohan.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling" ***

Number 6 has his mind transferred into another man's body.

This one caught me off-guard. Definitely :wtf: This time the information they want is the location of the scientist who developed the mind transferring machine. Their plan works up until the scientist pulls a fast one on them and literally walks/flies out of the Village in another man's body along with all his scientific secrets. The scientist's original body and the man he transferred minds with apparently dies soon after the scientist leaves. Yeah, I hope you understood that.

I'm not really sure what to make of this one.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think that's the worst episode of the series. McGoohan couldn't be in it because he had a motion picture commitment (Ice Station Zebra). Even Vincent Tilsley, the writer of the episode (who also wrote the superb "The Chimes of Big Ben"), isn't that fond of it.

19. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I also think it's the worst episode. It's hardly even part of the series. As a piece by itself it's nonsensical.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Living In Harmony" **

Number 6 is put through an illusionary program.

Uh...just :wtf: was this? I mean seriously, what the FUCK was that??? Were they that hellbent on doing a western?

Crap.