Eureka - "I Do Over" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 19, 2008.

?

How do you rate this episode?

1. Excellent

40.4%
  2. Very Good

42.3%
  3. Good

7.7%
  4. Mediocre

7.7%
  5. Terrible

1.9%
  1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no doubt that Nathan Stark will return.

Eureka tends to do stand-alone episodes with an over-reaching arc through out the season to give the last few episodes of the season some scope.

In all honesty, to think Stark's permanently dead is the least likely of all the current options. Especially with no body and more than half of the current season left to air.

Just wait it out.

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^I really really hope you're right. I cried a bit when he died and was in shock for a bit afterwards. I really like Nathan a lot, easily one of my favorite characters of the show.

Excellent rating from me.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

So can I as long as the product placement is blatantly obvious like Zane's shirt from a couple of episodes ago. Ugh.

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all either. Like I said earlier, I think there's more to "I'll see you around" than just a farewell.

4. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Just found this link to one of the Eureka screenwriter's blogs, in which he discusses Stark's departure for the show.

http://revealthescience.blogspot.com/2008/08/goodbye-nathan.html

He also responds to the "Tholian Web" reference, 'no one is dead in scifi', etc. found in this thread and possibly elsewhere.

Seems Stark is gone for good and it was Ed Quinn's decision to leave the show.

5. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a little "For now" tagged onto that blog. Never say never I say!

Sharr

6. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

watching it now... man, I hate these episodes, I always feel just as embarrassed as the characters.

7. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes me think of "The Princess Bride." Is he 'dead dead,' or 'mostly dead.'

Death doesn't have to be final in sci-fi. And even if the intent is for him to be gone forever, his departure leaves the door open for his return, should he elect to at some point.

8. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure he's dead until the actor wants to return for a guest spot or maybe even full time.

9. The Nth Doctor

Damn, I wonder why he wanted to leave. :(

Oh, and I don't think we saw that shot of Henry kissing Lexi's hand.

Speaking of Henry, I think it's very interesting that none of us batted an eye over the fact that Henry is an ordained minister. :lol:

10. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

I read speculation elsewhere that it was the extended 20+ episode order for this 3rd season, which may have left him feeling too 'tied up' for the year.

Who knows, he is now also doing Cadillac commercials here in the US...

Yeah, that was interesting, however IIRC he also had that position, ministering a service in Eureka S1e2, "Many Happy Returns."

11. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

*finishes* aww, geez...

glad they mostly avoided the "embarrass the hell out of the character who is stuck" shtick, but I am a tiny bit saddened that Carter was too mature to take advantage of the loop, ala O'Neil and Teal'c. well, ok, he did kinda, but only within his work.

12. The Nth Doctor

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe Terri knows what other projects Ed has lined up.

I figured that was probably the case, but I honestly couldn't remember. :o

Still, even for those of us who couldn't remember, didn't even bat an eye. :p

13. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, after reading that Blog entry, I'll say that my initial reasoning (though sound) has now gone out the window. (Mostly)

If the actor wanted to leave, then that was a pretty nice farewell episode that serviced both the character & the storyline. Of course, like he mentions, although Stark is now "dead" that doesn't preclude him from returning "at-some-point-in-the-future-maybe".

And who knows, it could be within this very season. Just because he'll no longer be a regular character, doesn't mean he can't now be the guy who shows up from time-to-time. Daniel Jackson did that a time or two you know.

14. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the link to the blog. I appreciate the fact he took the time to let the fans know it wasn't a ratings gimmick. The writers really took the time to make the episode great, and it shows.

I wish Ed O'Neill all the best. :sniff:

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

^ That's nice of you, but Ed O'Neill has nothing to do with Eureka. ;)

It's too bad Ed Quinn wanted to leave. I'm gonna miss the antagonism he and Carter had going. That, plus like Zane said a couple of episodes ago, Carter, Stark, and Henry are the show's "money team." It won't be the same without him.

Oh well, I'm confident that the writers have figured out a way to make this work really well. Stark's send-off was nicely done.

16. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I typed that. Looked at it. Thought there was something wrong with it, but hit reply anyway. :lol:

Ugh...please don't mention Zane. Now, I'm worried this means more Zane. I don't want any more Zane than those 30-45 sec Degree commercials. :scream:

17. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I really disliked it. I can't stand the sister, and since Stark was pretty much the last character left that wasn't getting on my nerves, I'm probably done with it. Ah well.

18. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he is Henry Deacon. :D

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The only thing I like about the faux Degree infomercials is that Pat Murphy Stark is in them. She's a local cable commercial celeb, plus she's a freind of a friend and I worked with her one day on a (failed) video project.

20. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I thought about that when I first same him doing the wedding. :lol: