Genetics / genealogy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tora Ziyal, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Duh. Yes, it should be. :alienblush:

But, as much as I love The One Whose Identity I Use Here, I'd rather have some Vulcan admixture than either Bajoran or Cardassian.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Neanderthal. Don't we all have a little Neanderthal in us? ;)

3. propita

No, she was of the species "Difficultus Bitchius," liking no one and always a problem. Too bad, she wasn't as wrong about things as people thought, but never let anyone get close enough to care about her.

Except for her ex-husband, the Irish Catholic. She married him around age 19, got pregnant (yeah, we checked the dates...mom was born a year and a half after the wedding day), and got divorced by age 21 or so. That's pretty rough.

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, that's rough. You seem to take unexpected and rough well, though. It's sad how upset and/or angry some people get when their family history or, especially, genetic testing pulls a surprise on them. I find it fascinating myself!

Help yourself to the bagels, folks. ;)

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Ah, but we know what Neanderthal DNA looks like. I think the case for me being 6% alien has gotten stronger!

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Crystalline Entity and Q is fantastic. Props for that. :thumsbup:

7. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had a genetic test done years ago, well before the affordability of 23andme. The cost was around $400. It proved to be worth it, though, when it came back.

In addition to the usual Caucasian and Native American percentages one would expect to see in the average Latino, mine came back with 23% Sub-Saharan African. I was pleasantly shocked! So much so that I called the company for an explanation.

I asked them if there was some mistake, as neither of my parents have "black" features of any kind, and neither did I. If I was almost a quarter Black, shouldn't one of them be half black?

The company told me that there was no mistake, and that I was indeed 23% Black. Most likely due to both parents being roughly as "black" as I am, and both donating around 12% Sub-Saharan African to my gene pool. They also said that external physical features associated with race only appear around 30%. Thusly, myself and my parents could "pass" for being other races, while being a whopping quarter black.

Pretty fascinating stuff. So that's the story of how I learned that I'm 1/4 black at 26 years old!

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^So my sizzling booty isn't down to my surprise 12% Iberian heritage?

Must be down to the Nutella, then.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Nah. You're at least i% Q. :D

Especially on Saturday's night!

Well, Nutella is Piemontese (like yours truly, I might add). That's Mediterranean enough to justify it!

10. propita

Thanks! That's not how I usually am, believe me. But I think it's cool to be part Irish--even though the family evidently moved to Ireland in the 1300s or 1400s from England (the name is likely Middle English and survived the Norman invasion). Of all European groups to be a part of, I'm really happy it's Irish.

Now, I would've been surprised if I had the 28% sub-Saharan. My Dad's parents were from Russia/Ukraine. My mother's maternal grandmother was from Palestine, but with a German name, and grandfather born in Moscow. Then the Irish part. So it would be interesting to take that test.

Husband would be interesting. He's from Mexico, but parents are mestizo--and he looks Asian around his eyes, enough to be mistaken for Japanese. It'd be something to find out if he was, partially.