AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'm really liking this show, far more than I thought I would. Most zombie-films don't interest me much; I spend the whole time rolling my eyes and sighing a lot.

But they did a pretty good job in setting up the sheriff as a likable guy, and I like the "survivors" aspect of it. The crazy rednecks I could live without, though. I think it cheapens the group-dynamic a bit. I think it would be more interesting to have two groups, each with a fairly reasonable leader, with opposing views.

I did like how they resolved the gang-stand off. That seemed a pretty believable and rational situation. Two groups, each just trying to survive, share the weapons and go off on their own.

So....was it Merle who brought the walkers to the camp, or did they find the place on their own?

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'd bet money that Merle lured them up there. And I like the sheriff, too. I'm such a sucker for the strong, silent type. They cast the part really well. Andrew Lincoln's a gem.

3. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Wouldn't it be too acidic to support life anyway, never mind drinking it?

Anyway that episode was great. The final scene with the gate opening was just amazing.

4. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny the more I watch it the more I realize the zombie genre is better suited to television despite being done in movies constantly while never in TV.

5. Dorian Thompson

Jim..... :( Maybe they'll find out he survived. Maybe his body will produce antibodies to the virus. Amy's reanimation was played far more subdued than I expected. No immediate attack. No wonder the zombies killed so many, so quickly. You wake up gently. The nurse doesn't know how this is possible--she leans over you, tries to help you....chilling when you follow it to its conclusion.

Shane is a fucking powder keg. I don't trust him for a minute anymore. The older guy knows, too.

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get the feeling Shane only agreed to go to the CDC was so Rick could fail. That way Shane is seen as right, and it reinforces his position as leader.

Now that they have found shelter at the CDC, Shane loses.

7. Dorian Thompson

But Shane doesn't even exhibit any signs of guilt that he screwed Rick's wife. I realize he's only human and he can't completely turn off his feelings that he might have developed for Lori, but it had to have been less than a month that Rick was gone or he would have starved in the hospital. He developed feelings for her that are that strong in such a short time that he suddenly hates Rick? There's no joy that his supposed best friend is alive and wasn't killed? No embarrassment that he was nailing his wife? There should be some conflicted feelings shaping Shane's behavior toward Rick as opposed to mere confrontation. There's no good to go along with the bad. Shane couldn't have loved Rick very much if this is how he's acting now.

Shane is not a good guy. He must have always been jealous of him.

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Loved seeing the sister wake up as a zombie. They made it so that it looked like there was some of her left trying to communicate. That might have been the case, or maybe it was just some residual brain function in control. You could almost go either way. I thought we were going to see the other guy turn too. Maybe he has the living tissue scientist guy needs. Too bad they left him behind. Loved the turn at the end too by the way, with the action shifting to a high tech underground complex. Looks like we'll be getting some answers about what happened.

9. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

this whole thing with the CDC isnt in the comics,but im up to issue 49 now..Shane is even more nutz in the comic[no spoilers], wow wow for a 6 ep season this was emmy worthy stuff.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CDC scene kind of had a Desmond/Swan hatch vibe to it.

11. Dorian Thompson

Jenner in the CDC looks like Kevin Tighe from Emergency! back in the day. Too young, though.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Now that you mention it, yeah, it does.

I just missed the encore presentation. Scientist guy said something about 194 days/6 months. What exactly did he say?

13. Dorian Thompson

I think he said 63 days since the virus suddenly went global. One hundred and something days since operation Wildfire was declared? I'm certain about the 63 days since it went global. Apparently the military or CDC tried something 100 odd days ago (4 to 6 months) and it "got out" about 2 months ago and devastated the population of the planet.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Huh, Wildfire is the name of the secret biological facility where the alien lifeform was being studied in The Andromeda Strain.

15. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

The Zombie Virus is an extraterrestrial virus intended to wipe out mankind, it was "sent" to earth in a mock crash that occurred in Roswell 1947. Basically the Zombie virus is written to earth human physiology and has genetic code to re-write the brain to turn the infected into disease vectors. It is written to be only blood borne so when the aliens arrive to take over in a decade they don't have to worry about an air borne virus and it will have burned itself out.

The virus reprograms the body to use itself as energy and will keep doing so until it is consumed. Eating living flesh is just a directive programmed into the brain by the virus to help it's spread as a vector, but notice they only eat living or freshly killed flesh that is to prevent your disease vectors from wiping each other out.

16. Meredith

You know what I would do, I would make everyone sleep at sundown and sleep in the vehicles around the campsite. You would have more time the zombies wandered into camp, they would have to bang and clang on the doors and by that time some of the men could get out their guns and shoot them. Ideally I would get a freight semi and use that as a sleeping quarters instead of camping out in tents. If you are going to sleep in tents at least "circle the wagons" aka. the vehicles and use them for defense.

They are Too Dumb to Live.

17. Meredith

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

First Kick-Ass uses the Sunshine score straight up and now The Walking Dead? :)

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

20. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Loved, LOVED the episode. Will be sad to see it end next week as it is by far my personal favourite new series this season.