Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

oh sweet cheers, didn't know it automatically saved them there

much easier to play with :D

M

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I found some time to play last night and finished the first two story missions. Really enjoying the game so far. It's honestly way better than I expected. But there is a bit of a learning-curve. It doesn't play like most theme-park MMOs.

One thing I really don't like, however, is how it seems to force you into WASD. I typically use a rather unorthodox key-bind layout and I just can find a way to apply it here. It's not so bad when I'm in FPS mode because it seems natural, but when I'm not, I get a lot of error key stokes.

Is this game mostly a single player game? One of the main complaints about SWTOR is how it's really a "co-op SP game." But this seems even more so. From my standpoint, though, that's probably a good thing. I abhor PUGing, and I don't think I'll be playing frequently enough to maintain a strong friend-base--other than TBBSers, of course. :)

Also, how viable is it to play different ship types from character class? I rolled tactical, but other than the Big D, I don't really care for any of the ships in the class. (No, I never liked Prometheus.)

I'd like to pick the Nova as my first upgrade, and might even consider springing for the Rhode Island at some point. Always loved that one. For some strange reason, I've probably collected more Equinox and Rhode Island fan-art over the years than anything else, even the Connie refit.

I should say I'm not totally against re-rolling as a blue shirt. It does sound like a lot of fun. It's just that, per Rocketeer's suggestion, I ground-out the 1000 Borg Drones/100 Borg vessels in the Tutorial Area for the passives.

3. Methos

ok in order...

Yeah the keyboard layout is a bit awkward... for space based parts i find myself using the mouse to control the ship, then space bar for phasers and assigned numbers for torpedoes (right click and drag them to assign to set numbers)

that way you can stick to mainly mouse orientated work for space, and the standard WASD for ground based shooty parts...

Single player or multi-coop... i've done the entire game pretty much single player, with a few missions with some people when i needed the extra help... i wouldn't say it's necessary for all of it, but on and off, it's more fun :)

Different ship types from character class are fine... i've got a science officer manning a tactical craft, i normally play tactical character and use the cruiser class... doesn't make any difference from what i can see...

Hope you're having fun though

M

4. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Science characters ideally should stick with Science ships to maximize their strengths, but Tactical in a Cruiser is quite viable, and Engineers make good captains of any ship type.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I should stay with the D'Kyr being a Science Captain?

6. CorporalClegg

Well I think I'm going to reroll. I just looked at my old PWE account and I did have some Zen left over (quite a bit actually) and was able to transfer it into about 1200 c-points. So I unlocked Joined Trill. And might unlock Oberth Class too. That way I can get facerolled by rouge Klingons. :p

7. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the controls are OK.
    I tend to use the auto-fire option, for all of my ships beam weapons and leave torpedoes for manual:)

8. Methos

having a lot of connection problems tonight, so going to give up on it...

once we've gone through the Odyssey shakedown cruise stuff, I'll start organising STF's for people with characters above Lv 45 :)

M

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Cryptic's philosophy is somewhat different (and imho better) than most other MMO companies. All their games are designed to be both soloable and groupable by friends and they frown on pugs. As a single player, you can complete roughly 90% of the missions by yourself. However once you hit the mid and high levels, there will be more than a few important story-arc finale missions with cool rewards where a single player will simply die repeatedly and a group will fare a much better.

Moreover, all Cryptic games have this thing called level scaling so even if you are level 1 you can group with a level 50 friend and get the option to fight as a level 50 when you are with him. Granted, you're a level 50 with a weaker ship, fewer equipment and lacking in level 50 skills, but your phasers will still pound foes as level 50 weapons and your shields will still absorb hits as if its a level 50 shield.

10. intrinsical

I'm still scarred by William Shatner's dog borg!

11. CorporalClegg

12. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am already Commander(28) and will soon reach the rank of Captain..and then my current ship, the USS Vladivostok, will soon be retired and I will have a Defiant-type ship next.

[​IMG]
    (seems the image editor loves to ruin even the little resolution I had on the screencap..sigh)

I have also started playing on the Klingon side( using a Raptor-class vessel).
    I decided to go with a female character this time..and I think I managed to create a pretty nice outfit for the lady.
    My crew does look like a band of renegades;).

[​IMG]

13. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say the Odyssey-class wouldn't be too bad for a science captain, it has a couple of universal BO slots available on it: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2839

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Well, it mainly offers up ones that contribute to success whereas I'm usually going for the *crit* success. Also the filter still needs some work (or did). The last time I tried it was Tuesday and it still had some glitches.

Also I noticed that dilithium payout on some crit successes has dropped to 125 di.

15. Rocketeer

I've always liked the Oberth and the Miranda classes. Unfortunately in STO they don't last long in a fight. The Rhode Island is a nice upgrade. My daughter was still using it at Captain level until recently.

I have a Joined Trill Science Officer on the Fed side and a JT Engr on KDF side. They have good skills and make nice looking characters.

16. Rocketeer

I use the Borg tribble in the Defari Invasion. Doesn't seem to help much though...

You need to try the cannibal tribble. Send me an ingame msg if you want one.

On a whim, I started a new character. Don't usually create female characters unless neccessary to access certain skills, but this one popped into my head - Kaylee the mechanic from Serenity. She's a Federation Engineer. My current FED Engr, Jho'dig, was my first character and I made some mistakes with him. I'm a little seasoned now, so should do better. Trying to get the new toon to look as much like the person as possible. Any of you artistic souls feel free to give suggestions for color or other settings. (like use A19 for hair, etc...) Thanks!

[​IMG]

Preparations for 2nd anniversary party. Getting Kaylee ranked up to test drive the new ship. Locate partypoppers or procure new ones. Ensure all characters have Fire Extinguishers and Biothermal Dampeners. Etc...

Is the Spatial Charge a one time use item? I forgot that I had it until I saw a character use one in ESD. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  17. intrinsical

I just hit the rank of Captain yesterday and here's my new USS Hyperion, Defiant class. Really cool ship.

[​IMG]

18. Methos

hmm intriguing... i'll have a go and see what i can do for this :)

M

19. Methos

Kaylee?

[​IMG]

head - humanoid 1
    skin - a1
    makeup1 - m14
    Base Complextion - Standard 01
    Tattoo - none
    Eyes - A1 & A6
    Hair - Long close bangs - E23
    Snine - 50%
    Eyebrow - Thin 1 - E21
    Eye - none
    Head - none

M

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really.... That one looks not caucasian.
    I din't really have any more interest in alternate toons, but the idea of a whole Firefly crew has some appeal.
    Would be a tactical heavy crew.
    Mal and Zoe soldiers (tac), Jayne security (tac), wash could be tactical as the pilot, but I see him more as OPS (engineering), Kaylee of course engineering, Simon medical Sci, Inara counselor (sci-controller), no idea for Book and River would be a total wild card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.