Whale Wars

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Alidar Jarok, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Commander Vaughn

Commander Vaughn Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried looking for a clip, I couldn't find one. It seemed pretty fake to me. There was only one "gunshot" that just happened to hit the captain right where he wears his Sea Shepherds badge. It's just far too convenient for a whaler to have hit the captain right there on rough seas.

Hard to describe, but it looked fake, and seemed like a publicity stunt.

2. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught on this show towards the end but thought it was pretty entertaining. At first, I thought it was funny how their tactics were so ineffective and how the Japanese always had the upper hand.

But after watching the episodes more, and seeing the whales get shot with the harpoon and dragged onto the processing ship, I have to say it's given me more insight into their cause.

3. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Green Peace is as bad as PETA.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, that's the reason I started this thread.

5. Corwwyn

Corwwyn Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm disappointed that the actions of the Sea Shepherds are even necessary. The Aust navy should sink the whaler ships and cart the whalers home without any of their ill gotten gains. Evil, evil people.

6. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

If they were killing the whales, yanking out the harpoon and dumping them back in the ocean - doing it all for sport I would have a problem with it, but since they actually are hunting them to use them, I don't. I think whales are beautiful creatures of the deep, but I also think a cow is cute too, but I dont care about it when it is being served medium well on my plate with a baked potato.

7. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Yes! If it's their territory they should be protecting it. I've never looked to see exactly where this area is and if the Australians have law on their side but it seems they should be protecting it.

Aren't guns illegal on non-military vessels? Or is that just when they are in port?

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The territory is in Antarctica, which is claimed by various different countries, although the US doesn't recognize any of these claims. The specific area is claimed by Australia, which has designated it a whale sanctuary. The Japanese, of course, dispute this claim. Pretty much the entire thing is in a legal gray area (are the Japanese hunting for research or for profit? Does Australia have the right to protect this area? If the Japanese are whaling illegally, does anyone have the right to stop them from whaling? If not, are these actions, which take place under the Dutch flag, an act of war by the Netherlands?).

9. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Just the though of me being able to blast those dipshits with a water cannon is enough to make me want to start whaling.

10. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

That was great info, thank you! Sounds like they would need the UN to back them on this against the Japanese. Not that that would mean much...