Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

17.4%
  2. Above Average

28.3%
  3. Average

26.1%
  4. Below Average

9.8%
  5. Poor

18.5%
  1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

As a movie, I agree with his review basically to the letter.

As a fan of loud, dumb action movies and robots kicking the living shit out of each other, I'd say I definitely got what I was in for. Managing expectations is key to the Michael Bay experience.

That said, it certainly was, by far, the dumbest of all the Transformer movies so far.

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

primus hates you. and ebert.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Ebert inferior. Bay superior. [/G1 Soundwave]

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it. It was okay.

I found some of the story confusing in terms of the timeline. I thought Megatron was on Earth because he crashed chasing the AllSpark, but this movie made it out that the plan was always to move Cybertron to Earth as Sentinel was going to meet Megatron on Earth. It might make sense if I say a timeline ploted out but the entire thing from all 3 movies seems a bit of a mess.

Or why Megatron was brought back from the dead once (or was it twice, I really can't remember if he "died" in the 2nd movie), but they couldn't do the same for Sentinel? Anyway, the Decepticons aren't the smartest bunch. 200+ of them came out in DC and they didn't try to kill the President or blow up the Pentagon or why they even bothered setting up their main camp in the USA, the strongest power in the world and mostly likely to be able to foul up your plans. In fact why not do all of this on the moon? Why bring all that stuff to Earth in the first place?

The wing suit scene was cool, as long as you don't think about the logic behind it. It seemed like the most wasteful and unnecessary method possible to achieve their objective.

Prime ordering to "kill them all" and then executing Sentinel Prime sits uneasy with me. Prime has generally stood for everything that is good and just and it just seemed wrong for his character to say and do these things. Even the Decepticons at one point took prisoners until McDreamy decreed that it was execution time.

I did enjoy seeing Lester Speight, it brought back memories of those fantastic Terry Tates vids back in the early 2000s.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you, who are without mercy, no beg for it? i thought you were made of sterner stuff, Megatron...

AS HE STANDS OVER HIS VANQUISHED ENEMY AND PREPARES TO EXECUTE HIM!

yeah, funny how everyone forgets that in the animated movie when they diss BayPrime...

6. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesn't bother me that Prime said to kill them all, as out of character as it may seem. By this point, the Decepticons had tricked everyone into sending the Autobots away, and instantly capitalized on it to level an entire city, and slaughtering people just for fun. Optimus Prime realized there was no compassion or mercy among the Decepticons, and to protect humanity, decided he needed to be relentless.

Of course that's not how it really played out in the movie. It just comes across as yet another out of character moment, such as yelling "GIVE ME YOUR FACE", or hunting down and killing Decepticons who were apparently just hiding. But if he had 3 movies of being in character, and they played it that way, it could have worked very effectively. It just didn't.