'300 years ago' , in this film's context, was the 1950s!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by I am not Spock, Jun 4, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

In this new Trek timeline, it is 2258 or 59 or something like that. So '300 years' ago would be the 1950s. Have they retconned the dates of the Eugenics Wars again? Might have been better if they just merged WW3 and the Eugenics Wars into the one conflict, and said 200 years (the 2050s)

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's all made up history anyway. What difference does it make?

3. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People aren't always exact when they mention things that happened hundreds of years ago... People also exaggerate.

4. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

True

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Little thing we call rounding here in the States. If you use the 1992-96 date for the Eugenics Wars it would be at least 263 years.

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

They should have said 1000 years ago and not elaborated on his name beyond Khan. That's what I would've done.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was rounded up instead of "Space Seed"s (overly) rounded-down "200 years" figure.

8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Late 20th century to mid 23rd century is roughly 300 years. What's the point in quibbling about 40, give or take? I suppose they could have had Spock in that scene to say something like "Correction, doctor: 263 years," with an appropriate Bones comeback. But that would have destroyed the impact of the moment.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Working from the estimated point of Khan and company's birthdates, mayhap? Assuming their births were roughly 30-40 years before the Eugenics Wars kicked off?

10. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Yes. The line McCoy says is to the effect that the frozen man is 300 years old. If you take his date of birth as being circa 1950 to 1970, then what we have is perfectly consistent with TWOK's reference to 1996 as the launch date of the Botany Bay.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It would've been 270 years since 1996 in "Space Seed" if Khan was found in 2266, not 200 years. But the year TOS was taking place in was problematic as it was being shot. It was taking place in nothing more specific than "the not all that far off" future. The "actual" years for events were nailed down, later.

We know it's 2259 in STID, so saying 300 year is certainly better than saying 200. I suppose if he'd said 250 that would've been better, but hey. And as DEWLine said, he could've been rounding back to his year of birth.

Edited to add: If Khan had said he was from 200 years ago like in "Space Seed", given it was 2259, it would've implied the writers retconned the Eugenics Wars beyond our time to the 2050s or 2060s (because they obviously didn't happen in 1996). That would've made some fans angry, and given them yet another reason to complain about the movie. So, he's from 300 years ago.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Anything from 250-299 could be rounded off to 300 years, IMO.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Do you have an ideological objection to rounding up ?

I mean, would it sound as meaningful to say 263 years ?

It's been my impresion that it's been reconned to the mid-21st century already.

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

McCoy is a doctor, not a historian! :p

15. BillJ

When? Both times we see Khan in the Prime timeline, the year 1996 is mentioned.

16. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, slavery was like... 400 years ago.

17. BillJ

What part of "made up" don't you get? :rolleyes:

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is possible that it was the 1950s in which Khan and his Augments were bred. If so, that would place Khan in his forties when he fought the Eugenics Wars. Coincidently enough, Ricardo Montalban was in his forties when he was in Space Seed. Cumberbatch is only 36, but presumably genetic engineering can make people look younger than they are.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Which is accurate.

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well I've always associated WWIII and the Eugenic Wars. In Encounter at Farpoint and ST:FC it's clear the former is now in the 21st century, whereas I think it was implied to be in the 20th in TOS.