Retro Review: Twisted

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TrekToday, Sep 11, 2015.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager encounters a spatial anomaly which distorts the ship from the inside out. When Janeway comes into contact with it, she is...

More...

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is obviously a terrible episode... but I frickin love it. It's one of my absolute favourites, in fact.

Firstly, it's a bottle episode and I have a massive soft spot for them (wish there'd been more). Secondly, as the review says, it provides probably the best opportunity for us to see how some of the crews relationships are and have been developing. It's just a fun episode that I always enjoy watching (even psycho Neelix and his paranoid belief that Kes is banging half the crew).

That being said, I've commented on (and even started) a few Twisted threads in the past regarding the fact that the only people who end up in the centre of the ship (Sandrines) are the bridge crew.

I mean, the whole point of the episode is that the anomaly is supposedly pushing everyone to the centre of the ship. Well, where are the rest of the crew? Yeah sure, it's obvious why they're not there (because they're not the stars of the show) but in-universe it would have been nice to have seen some of the hundred plus crew members turning up too. Just a handful.

When it's been discussed in the past, I've always posited the idea that the rest of the crew were the only ones with the balls to just carry on with their work..."Oh look, a weird anomaly coming towards me... meh whatever, I'll just ignore it and carry on fixing this plasma conduit." Meanwhile the bridge crew all ran away from the anomaly and cowered in a corner of the holodeck.

LOL

3. WoTe

WoTe Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is also one of my favorites.

Despite this being a Holodeck episode, I liked it. Why? Lots of reasons.

But I'd like to note the ultimately friendly aliens as one. I'm watching Dragon's Teeth today, which is where Voyager runs into one unfriendly alien, turns and allies with another, who turn out even worse. I'm thinking it's the Delta Quadrant to stand in for Douchey.

It's nice that there was a friendly for once. But hey, I probably would have stayed on Sikaris and partied with the hedonistic aliens there for the rest of my life.

4. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I didn't mind this. I don't skip it when I go through a re-watch.

I find the scenes of the crew wandering around and getting lost on their own ship mildly amusing. Not laugh out loud funny but they make me smile. Tuvok trying to be logical in the middle of a changing maze, Kes knowing where everyone lives...Neelix disappearing.

I do remember the first time I watched noting the chemistry between Tom and B'elanna but then thinking little more about it.

If anyone is interested this 'phenomenon' is revisited in the relaunch book "The Protectors'. Good story.

5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Good episode!
    Exciting most of the time and a bit scary when the ship is twisted and turned and we don't know what kind of force it is who is threatening the ship.
    Also an episode worth to remember because it starts with the birthday celebrations for Our Favorite Ocampa! :techman:

I'll give it 4 points out of 5

6. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a fun episode. You kinda have to ignore the technobabble to enjoy it, but thats been a problem as far back as TNG.

7. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what exactly was the twenty million gigaquads of information that the "anomaly" put into the Voyager computer?

Recipes?