Most overrated actor?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MadBaggins, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've seen him in Dune, TNG, and the ones I previously listed. I never saw him in the X-Men movies, so can't compare.

Why do you say his acting doesn't differ from one role to another? There is one heckuva difference between a starship captain and a one-man show of A Christmas Carol.

And how can you not say he's a great actor? I couldn't have pulled off toting that stupid pug dog all over Dune, with a straight face! :guffaw:

2. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny, I would think that an actress known as "38 of DD" or "the Borg Bimbo" or any other of the clever names folks ascribe to her, isn't being touted for her acting prowess.

If a few fans overrate her, it's been my experience that more underrate her.

Your mileage obviously varies.

3. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, I never felt such was directed at Ryan, but rather those who'd crammed her into that costume.

If I were her, I'd have said, "You payin' me? Let's get me into this thing. Where's my teflon skivvies?"

You've actually heard me praise Ryan's work more than once, so ... let's not lump me in with the haters.

I recall that Richard Burton was voted both the best and worst actor of all time in the same poll. Perhaps a similiar principle applies here, on a much smaller scale.

Perhaps I just spent too much time in the Voyager forum once upon a time.

She might well be an answer of mine were someone to ask about underrated performers, too ... but that wasn't the question.

4. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the derision is entirely based on what she looks like, it's not a stretch to think it's directed at her.

I'm not. I'm just disagreeing with you that she's overrated.

5. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, my original intention was admittedly sarcasm as I was of course aware that Combs was alive for his wonderful performance as Shran. It was just sort of a snarky spelling correction post. I guess the joke didn't come across because it's text and perhaps a little subtle.

But again, I don't think too many Star Trek actors are overrated. If anything I think the acting on Star Trek gets taken for granted at times.

6. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they all are to one degree or another. The less overrated ones are less grating on my nerves, while the more overrated ones are...well..it's obvious. I know Trek fans often like to say that an actor's skill shouldn't be judged on the output, or lack of, non-Trek roles, but come on. Not all actors can use the excuse of bad agents, or a "love for the theatre". Bad is bad. Good in bit parts and supporting roles? Sure. But as leads in major projects? Not so much.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

you need to see him in i claudius

8. asdf1

asdf1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good lord, i read the first post on this thread and was disgusted. I couldn't believe what i was reading.

I'll agree with you on Shatner, but that's about it.

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Connor Trinneer and John De Lancie.

10. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

The problem with the public announcement being that no one should trust anything a Vorta or a Ferrengi says. Although, I'd trust an Andorian's word.

Anyway, I disagree with many of the assessments above. Therefore, those I disagree with are obviously wrong and are very probably nothing more than intermittant channeling of Siskel, who seemed to hate everything.

11. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

There seem to be quite a few fans here with their fingers in their ears because it is kind of tough to think that some of the actors you've been watching are just not that good. Then they start insulting the ones who disagree with them. Bravo! I hate how few posts it takes here for fans who should be more unified to start bullying each other.

It may be true also that Trek may not bring the best out of an actor. What is the right way to say " Photonic bursts show no actinity on the Borg ship"?

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You're presuming that the OP was being completely serious, about which I have my doubts. ;)

On topic, in as much seriousness as it merits: Stewart

He's good on some things, but there's no way he's as good as some make him out to be, RSC credentials or no. Dwight Schultz could (and did) act circles around him, for one thing.

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very, Very, True.....:techman:

14. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

That's a trick question! There is no way to say "actinity" correctly!

I think this whole thread is absurd anyway. It's the tomato pronunciation argument. (come to think of it, a vast majority of threads with more than one page are probably the same thing?)

15. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

The most overrated actor in this thread is MadBaggins. While he thinks highly of himself the only role he plays well is troll. :lol:

16. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    The Trek leads are all good, IMO. Sometimes the guest actors, especially those in bit parts, are weak. Sometimes you'll get some stiff, awkward line readings from a Red Shirt, but that's about it.

Every now and then, a lead will eff up, like Siddig playing "possessed" in DS9's season 1 ep., "The Passenger", or Shat's attempt at Janice Lester.......but mostly the Trek dudes are great. It's the writing that often fails, not the acting.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Please don't accuse other posters of being trolls

18. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does any of this have to do with Garrett Wang's acting? And why would anyone think he was the "savior for Asian Americans"?

19. Captain Leslie

Captain Leslie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ive seen Patrick Stewart on stage in a few plays....He's pure Yorkshire ham!
    I always though he was a weak point in TNG... William Shatner wasnt a great actor but as Kirk it just worked, fabulously! :lol:

20. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Parick Stewart may be a little overrated (but I still think he is a great actor, one of the best actors in ST), but a weak point in TNG? :eek:
    You have Crosby, Wheaton, Frakes, Sirtis and McFadden, and Stewart is the weak point? :lol: No way.