Archer, T'Pol, or Trip?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Lucky, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Who is your favorite?

1. Archer

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. T'Pol

19 vote(s)
    32.2%
  3. Trip

33 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

In the TOS forum I did a poll asking the favorite of the original Trek trinity. It is well known the writers of Enterprise intended to replicate the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate with Archer, T'Pol and Trip. Which of the three characters is your favorite?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Trip by a sector. He was a warm, funny, charming, bright and very human character.

Archer was a bumbling idiot who was a terrible captain who had no idea how to interact with alien races, became increasingly aggressive and hostile--but then again since he was beaten up by almost every alien then encountered maybe its understandable why. They were trying to make him out to be some great hero when he simply wasn't.

As for T'Pol, it made sense to have her on board and she had an interesting arc, but she was poorly cast. If an actors idea of being emotionally detached is a pout then there are going to be problems. Add to that the totally unnecessary (and hideous) catsuits so that rather than being seen as an intelligent and logical character she is little more than titillation for fanboys.

3. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I voted for Trip too. I like all three, but I seemed to relate more to Trip.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

None of those three are actually my favorite.

I didn't get to see the entire series until this year. Malcolm became the character who was most interesting for me, because he keeps so much hidden. He's sort of the Illya Kuryakin of Star Trek, as Dominic Keating and David McCallum both tried to reduce the amount of information revealed about their characters.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to go with Trip too. Archer's just a self parody, and T'Pol is artificial in more ways than one. Trip was a character I felt I could relate to a bit, even if he wasn't the guy who was going to carry a show by himself.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Trip was the best character on this stupid show. That's why TATV is so unforgivable.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Trip, of course. Although my opinion of Archer has improved over the years.

8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

T'pol was the only one who was competent so I pick her.

9. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would agree, Malcom Reed was my favorite character on the show, he seemed to have a lot of shades to him and stole the show on multiple occasions without even trying.

10. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

My favorites in ENT were Hoshi, Reed and Phlox.

Out of the 3 in this poll I'd choose Trip. He was rather likable and the most relatable of those 3.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Out of those 3 I voted for Trip. I adored T'Pol the first two times I watched ENT but subsequent viewings I found some of the bad, repetitive acting just too irritating. I do like the character, and I do like the romance between her and Trip but Trip wins.

I liked E2 T'Pol very much though :D

Archer doesn't even come into it.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

T'Pol! Archer was a moron and while I liked Trip I think T'Pol was the better character.

13. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I'm also a Reed fan, so the poll doesn't do much for me. I am the only one who picked Archer.

T'Pol annoys me to no end - the role was so completely and thoroughly miscast.

As for Trip, I always felt like it was the writers giving us a pal and that rubbed me the wrong way on the series, as there were a lot of moments (e. g. the teaser for Similitude) that were played to really yank on our heartstrings. I had liked him before, but I have trouble relating to him now; I think they just went too heavy-handed with the everyman stuff, as if they could only give it to one character, so they larded him up with it.

I like Archer because he definitely starts out stupidly - someone had said like a Jehovah's Witness in space and to me that's spot on. He has to go through the biggest changes and has what, to me, ends up being the most satisfying arc. He absolutely loses his innocence and turns from a space boy scout into a warrior and, eventually, a nascent statesman.

And TATV is crap, but not so much for Trip's death than for the fact that it is crap on a cracker as a bad TNG episode.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for Trip.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Pol, because the character was actually compelling. Her "journey" was the one that interested me the most because of who she was, who she was supposed to be, and who she eventually became.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Trip. He was by far the most likeable and the only one who seemed like a balanced, well developed character. How much of that is due to the actor alone, I don't know.

Archer was poorly developed, I feel, in that he was talked about a lot, played up to be someone spectacular, but we never got the SEE any of that, really. He was portrayed as just a normal guy, so the two things didn't really jibe and it became off-putting. I think Scott is a good actor, and I've liked him very much in other things,but I think he's best being the Average Joe, just a decent guy trying to the right thing. But it didn't work with the way Archer was written.

T'Pol did show growth, which I liked, but there were some moments where it felt forced or where playing up her attractiveness bordered on the cheesy. Again, I attribute a lot of that to inconsistent writing.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

17. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I fell in love with Trip when I first laid eyes on him in decon...

And he got more interesting as the seasons went on, especially seasons three and four.

[​IMG]

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Well, yeah, being freakin' adorable never hurts. :lol:

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't decide what is more appealing..

Vulcan quilt with Vulcan writing embroidered on it WANT

or

Terran man waking up under Vulcan quilt with Vulcan sun on his face WANT

[​IMG]

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

How about same Terran man waking up, with no quilt to hide the naughty bits, with Vulcan sun on his face?